1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Keeper Fantasy Baseball - Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Mar 15, 2012.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Might end up being a bad decision. Never know how things will work out in the end, even though the other playoff hopefuls seem to have more recent momentum.

But regardless, you are in a "win and you're in" situation yourself, so no excuses!

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

very nice Rook, think fades wants you be the bridemaid......

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Lame to lay down like that, but I can understand why fade's afraid of facing my team (even though I was very likely to miss anyway, with the final matchups and records what they were).

Still, I guess that's the benefit of putting your team in position to coast to the playoffs. I'll make sure to remember the precedent and return the favor in the future.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This was fun. I love competitive leagues like this. Guarantee you all that next year my team will be a lot better.

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs!

5. fadeaway

I needed a new arch-rival anyway (Rook is not cutting the mustard these days...). :grin:

Your total points scored is second best overall, higher even than Jent who had the best record in the league. You had the strongest finish out of everyone, winning 7 of your last 8 games. Not to mention that absolute rape and pillage of a trade last week, which dramatically improved your pitching (and outfield too IMO). You are damn right I don't want to face that team in the playoffs. Gotta be realistic.

I don't know if it was bad luck or what, but with 8558+ total points, your win-loss record should be better than what it is.

6. SamCassell

Arch-rivalry accepted. :p

I think it was a combination of lots of bad luck (far more close losses than wins, more bad teams having great weeks against me) and a jekyll-and-hyde team that depended too much on starting pitching (best staff I've ever had, bar none) with a weak lineup (worst offense I've ever had). The days my SPs were on, my point totals were outstanding. When they were off (or when the rotations left all my best pitchers out of a given matchup), my point totals were anemic. I'd like to correct that balance next season.

7. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to give Fade props, he got scared and wanted an easier way to the finals........guess I didn't see that coming........but nicely played, I will remember that moving forward (the rivalry has been rekindled).

Heck, Flash didn't put much of a line-up out there either this final week (not even all his position players), might be a new nemesis being developed.

In the end, I have no one to blame if I don't make it to the postseason, it is still in my hands, just not looking real good. But if I do, I hope I get Fade week 1......................

8. SmeggySmeg

so Fade, what are the match-ups and how long and how many pitchers, struggling to remember?

9. SamCassell

I thought you were trading Cargo and verlander to PSJ, Smeg? Wasn't that the promise? :p

10. fadeaway

The dust has settled and here are the playoff match-ups:

#1. Jent's Llamas vs. #4. PhiSlammaJamma
    #2. Expos Forever vs. #3. SmegCity Smarmy Gits

- Now that playoffs are underway, trading has been frozen (next year we will have the trading deadline a few weeks before the end of regular season)
    - Round 1 will be comprised of Week 46 and Week 47
    - You must start 9 SP over these two game periods, and fill in the remaining pitching slots with RPs

For example:

Week 46: 5 SP, 2 RP
    Week 47: 4 SP, 3 RP

or

Week 46: 4 SP, 3 RP
    Week 47: 5 SP, 2 RP

or

Week 46: 6 SP, 1 RP
    Week 47: 3 SP, 4 RP

ETC...

Good luck to all teams!!

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I haven't put out a full line up for a few weeks now brutha. But it's cool with me, I like rivalry games. Next season it won't be as easy, promise you that.

12. SmeggySmeg

I thought the trade would be rescinded too :(

13. SmeggySmeg

i would but PSJ keeps offering me players that most of the league would rank as keepers, which seems way to fair, to make it happen i need good players from last year, but ordinary players from this year, and at a minimum, a close to unplayable catcher

14. SamCassell

If you think a player who was good last year, but bad this year, is bound to be bad next year, you're wrong. I've made that mistake, in dropping Mauer from my keepers after am injury-plagued year where he missed half the games and had his OPS drop 150 points (for the 2nd year in a row). He's back to elite this season. I did the same thing with Rollins when his HR # dropped from 21 down to 8, only to see it rise back to 16 and 19 the last 2 years. It's funny what injuries can do to elite players.

But here we were talking about your lack of follow-thru after your petulant promise, like a kid upturning the game board after a bad game of monopoly, to spoil it for everyone else if you didn't get what you wanted. I don't want to digress from that. Your threat, it seems, was empty.

15. SmeggySmeg

my lack of follow thru is primarily based on thinking a loss to Phi would put me out of the playoffs

i dont see my actions being in anyway like upturning the monopoly board, how did my my threat, ruin and end the game for everyone else, that was already done, by two others, i did nothing to change the game, maybe i made a hollow threat, but two years in a row we have seen terribly lopsided trades late in the season destroy the integrity of the league, we must have a trade deadline.

btw whilst i agree good players can have bad years and bounce back, that is still a terrible trade, that the majority of the league would not make

16. fadeaway

This will be the pitching game situation going into week 47:

Jent: 6 SP used during week 46. Can start 3 SP during week 47.
    PSJ: 3 SP used during week 46. Can start 6 SP during week 47.
    Smeg: 4 SP used during week 46. Can start 5 SP during week 47.
    Fade: 5 SP used during week 46. Can start 4 SP during week 47.

17. SamCassell

At this point, I'm rooting for Fade and Jent. Both look to be in solid position to win. Good luck guys!

18. SmeggySmeg

Completely concur, they've been the best two teams all year and deserve to face off in the final

19. fadeaway

It's not looking too good for me now after last night, but we'll see. Still early.

20. fadeaway

For whoever wins the first round of playoffs, the championship match will be the combined score of the next four periods:

Week 48
    Week 49
    Week 50
    Week 51

Each team will have 18 SP games total to use throughout the four periods. Fill in the empty pitching slots with RPs.

I will set up the final matches tomorrow morning once results have been finalized.