1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Fantasy Football - Sleepers/Busts/Strategies/etc

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Big MAK, Jul 15, 2012.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Would you be happy with Fred Jackson as your #2 RB?

2. what

what Member

You need to embrace the concept of running back by committee. If you think that you can get 2 stud running backs and trot them out there each and every week, I got news for you.

So to answer your question - no, I would not be comfortable with that. Fred Jackson is a back that you put in your lineup when the matchup is right, or when he is hot.

You need a least 1 stud back and 3 quality rotation backs, and depending on the depth of your roster, grab a rookie ir second year back.

Another words, you need some backs on your team.

For example, say you have 14 roster spots.

1 qb
    1 kicker
    1 defense
    2 te
    5 wr
    4 rb.

3. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Nice.. I'll have do some research on this.

Wondering how collecting winnings works, etc.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

NFL.com is about to add video chat via Google+. Yahoo better get on board.

5. David Stern

David Stern Member

Joined a $20 yahoo pro league. Draft is tomorrow night at 10pm central. 7 slots available if anyone wants to sign up last minute. Oh and Antonio Brown is a steal for where he is projected.

6. body slam

body slam Member

In my keeper league my RBs are Rice, Willis, Best. I traded Steven Jackson mid season last year when it looked like I was out of the playoffs. So as you can see I need a better option at my #2 spot. I been offerred Fred, Greene, and BJGE. For the asking price Fred currently seems like the best value.

7. David Stern

David Stern Member

What's the asking price for Greene? I think he will end up being a top 15 rb in terms of fantasy production.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So... the closer drafts get for me the more I think about this. Right now this is where my head is at.

FFB is turning into FBB. There are only 4 guys I consider surefire no-brainer cornerstones at this point. Rice, Foster, McCoy, Megatron. That's it. Anything else and you've got risks or questions, that includes MJD. So for the first time in 4 years I may be looking at a QB early-on. QB's are surefire picks. Consistent. Don't want to waste my 1st rd pick on Steven Jackson like the rest of y'all bozos.

Of course that could all have been a lie to throw you off my real strategy.

9. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

What do yall think about Steve Smith (Stl)? had a great year with giants then a stinker with philly, and now looks to be one of the better St. Louis receivers

10. body slam

body slam Member

We keep 6. Right now they want 2nd round picks for both BJGE and Greene. FJax owner wants DeSean Jackson and Tony Gonzalez. Currently not keeping either of them and I don't really want to give up any picks.

11. body slam

body slam Member

Right now I would most likely pass on him. Things could change over the next few weeks.

12. what

what Member

Well, not knowing whose available, I can't endorse one way or the other. I'll just repeat my advice that you need to stop looking at running backs as #1's or #2's.

Each one of those players including Willis and Best have value in the running back by committee approach that I am trying to get you to understand and the more of them you have the better off you'll be. Don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.

13. what

what Member

Wholly crap, I guess my idea of nabbing ryan mathews late in the 1st round in all but a memory. This guy is getting so hyped it is ridiculous.

The thing is there are so many guys that I like at rb this year that the depth of the position is overwhelmingly in favor of a running back by committee approach.

If I had say:

Frank Gore or Lynch
    Reggie Bush
    Jonathan Stewart
    Roy Helu
    Felix Jones
    Law Firm
    Issac Redman

I'd feel more than confident about my chances to play the matchups. Frank Gore going in the 60s is TREMENDOUS value. I'll take gore in the 4th round all day long.

14. body slam

body slam Member

I completelly understand your rbbc approach,. If it works for you thats great, but in my opinion its not made for my league. We have 16 roster spot and allowed only 4 add/drops.

Not hating or bashing. We all have different value on different players this is what I see....

Lynch solid RB stupid off the field
    Frank Gore old and injured
    Reggie Bush peaked last season
    Jonathan Stewart love the guy hate his situation
    Roy Helu the man has talent but he also has Mike Shanahan
    Felix Jones #2 to DeMarko outside of injury no true value
    Law Firm solid RB lets see what he can do for a new team
    Issac Redman solid RB

I personally like seeing others opinions good or bad on different players just in case there is something I'm over looking. Not saying not to draft any of these players if you like them take. For the right price I'll take just about anyone.

15. what

what Member

All of your complaints are based on this rigid standard that your running back HAS TO BE A FANTASY STUD and that is just not the case.

Your league setup is actually a perfect fit for this kind of approach. As opposed to drafting Foster and having an injury derail his season.

Running back by committee assumes that each player you draft will at some point during the season be the perfect play that's why you draft him, for a future play (rather than drafting some hot name like Demarco Murray and having him bust, which is a stupid move.)

If you are not committed to drafting at least 5 of these backs, then don't bother with this approach and go on and get the HOT name in fantasy right now, can you say trent richardson.

I didn't even get into your assessment of the backs that I listed. For example, both Roy Hulu and Stewart helped me to 3rd place in my league last year. And I have a particular bone with the assumption that Demacro Murray has won the Cowboy's running back battle. He is not half the back Felix Jones is and all of the publications are leading good fantasy players like yourself down the pike.

I'm actually glad that Demarco Murray is ridiculously overvalued right now, because I can swoop in and get a good value on Jones.

All I am saying is that you consider the actual results each player has and not be lead down the pike by all of the forecasters.

16. what

what Member

This article is par for the course on what prognosticators dump on the fantasy world. The idea that you need a 1500 yard back who catches 30 passes for 300 yards or else you are doomed in fantasy football.

You can quote me on this: your back doesn't need to 1500 yards in week 1, he just needs 100 yards and a score. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT CONCEPT!
    Anyone of 30 odd backs can do that for you. Some of the backs I listed with get you 5 games just like that.

In fact, one of the problems with a stud back is that you tend to play him regardless of if he is going through a rough season far too long.

I'd rather have 4 quality backs than 1 stud back and 1 mediocre back and a rookie flyer.

17. body slam

body slam Member

It sounds like what you have been doing works very well for you. At the same time what Ive been doing has worked very well for me. If we all fallowed the same draft format and had the same player value fantasy football in my opinion would get very boring. Over then next few weeks I'll drop some names and want you to give me you honest opinion on them.

good luck

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ask what if he thought Victor Cruz was a good pickup in week 3.

19. what

what Member

My weakest part of my game is wide receivers, I readily admit that. I mean I drafted Wallace, Manningham and Santana Moss as my 3 studs.

I picked up off the wire, Denarius Moore and I can't even remember who else but somehow missed on Victor Cruz.

The problem is (and I hate to harp about my league but it is true) that in our league you can't just go pick up a player anytime you please. You have to blind bid on a player and everybody has THAT chance and when a guy like Cruz has a 3 for 60 yard game and somebody picks him up and then he explodes it is something you can't foresee.

Besides, I had a vested interest in Manningham to blind my judgement. Similarly, the year before last it was Brandon Lloyd. You can't predict some stuff.

So this year I am hoping to have a better receiving core as I pretty much have a handle on all other positions.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lol Mathews broken collarbone right away. This guy is the new fragile Fred.