1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Fantasy Football - Sleepers/Busts/Strategies/etc

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Big MAK, Jul 15, 2012.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah maybe. But I got Schaub/Owen in the 8th/9th rounds.

2. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Which is where Schaub and Owen are normally being drafted.

If the Texans are always awesome offensively in every game this year, what I said earlier won't mean ****. But what are the odds of that? Every team's going to have a bad game sometime.

At least the Texans and Vikings(you have 3 of them as well) don't have the same bye week or you'd really be screwed.

3. Summer Song Giver

Yea he needs help, reminds me of the Saints Homers I play with, they always end up with a couple of Saints at least... luckily that team is an offensive juggernaut.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I repped the texans with their defense.not much else I completely trust. They are cursed with injuries :eek:

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Hmmm... I've read a ton of Fantasy Football magazines and stuff over the years and never have seen something about drafting too many people from the same team. I could imagine a tough day for the Texans O, but I'm sure somebody would get their numbers. I'm more worried about the health of AJ.

6. The_Dream

The_Dream Member

Hey guys, what do you think of these two teams?
    This one is a 10 man league, had 4th pick:
    QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/DEF/K starting
    QB:Rivers/Dalton
    RB:McCoy/McFadden/SJax/Doug Martin/Stewart/Hillis/Gerhart
    WR:Jones/Bryant/V-Jax/Harvin/Mike Williams
    TE:pettigrew
    Def:Buffalo
    K:Hartley

Think this team is pretty solid. Maybe a little weak on WR if Bryant gets suspended or something.

Second team:
    12 man league, QB/2 RB/2 WR/One RB or WR flex/TE/DEF/K
    10th Pick
    QB:Roethlisberger/Luck
    WR:Calvin Johnson/Nicks/Torrey Smith/Denarius Moore
    RB:MJD/Wells/Green-Ellis/Greene/Ben Tate/David Wilson
    TE:Graham
    DEF:Eagles
    K:Henery

Don't know how I feel about this one. Hakeem Nicks is injured and out until the regular season and my other receivers aren't that great. MJD is holding out and I feel my RB's after him aren't that strong. Chris Johnson was still available but for some reason, I totally passed him over. Think Roethlisberger is fairly solid, don't know why I took Luck as the backup. Should have taken Palmer or something. Was an in-person draft, never did that before so maybe that affected me a bit. Might pick up Jerome Simpson but he's suspended for a few games.

Any suggestions for trades or pick ups or anything? Thanks in advance.

7. RedNation

How did you get megatron and mjd?

8. The_Dream

The_Dream Member

Not sure, I was surprised Megatron lasted all the way to the 10th pick. Some idiot took Murray in the first round and Vick was taken before him as well. They thought he wasn't going to be nearly as good as last season. Got MJD with the 15th pick, no one wanted to touch him because of the hold-out.

9. RedNation

Nice! I've noticed that some quality players fall late in the 1st and 2nd. In one mock I was in, Rodgers Brees and Brady went 123 :eek:

10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I know man, everyone is going crazy with QB's. I still won't touch a QB until the 5th or 6th round. Every year I usually end up with Cutler or Fitzpatrick, but this year got Schaub in round 7. There are so many QB's who can have big statistical seasons, I would much rather get a Foster, Rice, or McCoy then any QB.

11. RedNation

Unless I get rodgers with 4, I usually won't touch qb until round 4 or 5

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

im not taking a quarterback untill 7/8...

much rather fill up on skill positions instead...

a schaub/romo/cutler or anyone similiar in late rds is worth more than brees/brady/rodgers in the first...

13. RedNation

If I can get manning (either) in 5/6, I'll take him

14. Kate81

Kate81 Member

If you're placed in the back three of a 12 team snake draft.

What do you do, QB/RB or RB/RB?? and who do you target.

Please explain your reasoning too, thanks in advance. will rep.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Probably not QB if the big 3 are gone. The end of a snake is tough this year since there's only a handful of surefire guys. You might have to look into grabbing one of those top 2 TE's or taking a risk on a high ceiling RB like McFadden. It's definitely too early to gamble on the high ceiling WR's at that slot. Also, to contend with the talent that goes off the board early, playing it safe is probably not the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I was thinking safe with upside, with my first two picks.

And I know the people in this draft.. McFadden will go top 10, the hype has gone too far and the RB position has gone weak.

rppd.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Go top-2 QB early if you can. Go for top RBs & WRs next. Then fill out roster with best value. I like going TE late, unless it's too much value to pass up earlier. I think there's good value at RB late, so I'd go with depth at WR a little earlier. WR, while deep, falls off pretty drastically after a certain point IMO. Don't reach for DST and don't draft a kicker before the final round. Avoid buying high on last years stars and avoid high risk guys early if you can (kinda tough with the RBs). Ignore BYE's unless it's a toss-up between two guys. Another toss-up factor to consider is timezone. Players playing for east coast teams are to considered superior to players on west coast teams, due to possible uncertainty about a players availability for a game.

My team:
    (12 team league, yahoo standard, draft slot #7)

1. Tom Brady (NE - QB)
    2. Marshawn Lynch (Sea - RB)
    3. Greg Jennings (GB - WR)
    4. DeMarco Murray (Dal - RB)
    5. Percy Harvin (Min - WR)
    6. Antonio Brown (Pit - WR)
    7. Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)
    8. Peyton Hillis (KC - RB)
    9. Robert Meachem (SD - WR)
    10. Houston (Hou - DEF)
    11. Malcom Floyd (SD - WR)
    12. Ben Tate (Hou - RB)
    13. Jared Cook (Ten - TE)
    14. Kevin Smith (Det - RB)
    15. Jason Hanson (Det - K)

Very pleased with my team. Probably reached for Lynch, but he's the guy I felt most comfortable with compared to what else was out there and in terms of draft strategy.
    Quite surprise I was able to get Bowe in round 7. Matt Cassel isn't great and KC is run heavy and all, but that sure seems like very good value. Also happy with how late I got the SD receivers (the draft took place before Vincent Brown injury, but still) and Ben Tate, who I considered taking as early as round 9.

1 person likes this.
  18. RedNation

Mcfadden or peterson?

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Don't be an idiot and take Michael Turner when you could have Victor Cruz.

20. what

what Member

It really depends on who you are high on and what your strategy is in the later rounds.

In my draft I plan to go QB-WR. But my league is a 14 team league, so I don't think that strategy will translate well with a 12 team league.

If I were you, I'd probably draft Chris Johnson. People act like he was terrible last year even though he had 1400 all purpose yards and 57 receptions. He needs to get his tds up, but if he does, this is a solid #9 pick in my opinion.

This is also under the assumption that Calvin Johnson is off the board. If Calvin is available, draft him.

In the second round, i'd target Matt Stafford or Julio Jones, if you picked Chris Johnson in the first round. If neither is available, I'm not opposed to drafting Ryan Mathews and going rb/rb.

If you go rb/rb (which is very appealing, especially if Mathews is available [and he should be]) just remember to pick up some younger players with up side in the later rounds or you might get burned by somebody who doesn't go rb till later and gets a fantasy lottery gift. What I am saying is that it is imperative that you protect your running back advantage if you go running back/ running back the first 2 rounds.

The safe route would be just to go CJ2K and a qb (either stafford or cam). The more aggressive approach is to go rb/rb because you are picking an injured player and also because you have to protect your investmnent while at the same time filling in the holes of your team.

1 person likes this.