1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Rule 5 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rpr52121, Nov 19, 2011.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Figured I would start this, as it coming up in a few weeks on Dec 8th. Teams had to set up their line ups to protect certain players yesterday, so the air should be clearing up about who is available.

On what the Astros did for their roster:
    Any thoughts on who Astros could be targeting?

ЯR

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I haven't looked at other players that may be available.

I think Cedeno and Meszaros could potentially be gone.

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

We probably should be targeting a SS, but I would love it if we were to get either Nick Barnese, from the Rays, or Brad Meyer from the Nationals. Nick Barnese probably isn't ready for the majors, and since he HAS to stay on the roster, might not be good to get him. But his potential is too good to pass up, considering it's a low-risk high-reward. On the other hand, brad Meyer is a bit older, 26, but he is much more major league readyand he could contribute as a starting pitcher, especially if we say goodbye to wandy and/or Meyers. I would love any of the two.

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Note: Nick Barnese has always had good control early in his career, with 2.4 BB/9, but in his first year in AA, he seemed to have lost his control as he saw his BB/9 jump to 4.4 BB/9. this loss of control might draw up red flags that he still needs to work on his control, and he is not major league ready and would just get killed if he were in the major leagues.

5. juicystream

Johan Santana wasn't ML ready when he was taken in the Rule V. You just let him take some lumps in the back end of the bullpen if he has the future potential.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Precisely. Team will not be any sort of competitive anyways, and wouldn't be suprised is most of the 2012 squad consists of players that would be on AA and AAA in more organizations. If Barnese is there with that ability, you should roll the dice.

Also, if the player you take is say in A or AA, I thought the Astros could draft them and move them to AA or AAA, respectively and still meet the requirements of Rule 5? Don't remember how those rules work exactly though.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry for double post, but found it here:

Would be difficult to find a player to meet the requirements at those levels ( were signed at age 19+ and have been in the organization for four years or were signed at age 18- and have been in the organization for five years), but if someone does have good deal of potential not a bad option to take a chance. Also fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things.

8. juicystream

I'm not sure how that really works. Santana was in A ball, but had to go directly to the majors. I don't know if the rules are different, or if they didn't want to risk waiting until the AAA or AA phase.

Edit:

[rquoter]# For every minor league level, there is what is called the reserve roster (38 in AAA, 37 in AA, and 35 on each A and Rookie ball teams). Players who satisfy the age and contract length requirements who are not on the AAA reserve roster are subject to the AAA part of the draft. Players who satisfy the age and contract requirements who are on the AA (and AAA) reserve roster are subject to the AA part of the draft. This is regardless whether they are in a lower reserve roster. ie. if a player is on a team's AA reserve roster (and not on a AAA roster) and satisfies the age requirements, he is subject to the AAA part of the rule 5 draft.[/rquoter]

http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/

A player can be on a reserve roster higher than the level he actually plays for.

#8 juicystream, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. msn

msn Member

I think there is a separate minor league Rule V draft, but I'm not sure of that and I don't have time to ask google.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Found some articles that talk about possible targets for teams:

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Some other names that I have heard as prospects to look at are:

Reynaldo Rodriguez, 1st Base, Red Sox

Pat Venditte, RHP, Yankees

John Ely, RHP, Dodgers

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Stephen_Goff Stephen Goff
    Continuing to hear Jordan Danks or reliever as the possible top pick in Thursday's Rule 5 Draft by the Astros.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Jordan Danks? YUCK

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah would rather pick up Flaherty or Reckling.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The picks are in...

25-year-old reliever appeared in 44 games between High-A St. Lucie (8) and AA Binghamton (36). 5-3 record with 7 saves (all in Binghamton) and a 3.89 ERA. In 71 2/3 innings, he allowed 52 hits (5 homers), 36 runs (31 earned), walked 45, and struck out 69, allowing a .202 average against.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=cruz--001rhi

25-year-old started was released by the Rockies last year and was pitching with the Diablos Rojos of Mexico City in the Mexican League this season. He went 12-4 in 23 games (19 starts), but sported a 4.94 ERA. Allowed 137 hits in 109 1/3 innings (12 homers), 70 runs (60 earned), walked 53, struck out 93, and allowed a .312 average against.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=duarte001mar

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

17. MadMax

Gonzalez is a SS playing at AAA. Guessing he competes for the job with the big club.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bo...d-sox-select-marwin-gonzalez-in-rule-5-draft/
    Gonzalez played with Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa last season, hitting .288 with an on-base percentage of .343 in 124 games. He has played second base, shortstop, third base, first base and center and right field during his six-year minor league career.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/em1HgT84uXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. MadMax

On Rhiner Cruz:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...news.asp?sport=MLB&id=6891&line=346556&spln=1

Cruz has a huge arm that's capable of reaching back for triple-digits on the radar gun, but to this point his results have been lacking. He posted a 3.89 ERA between High- and Double-A in 2011 and walked 5.7/9. But, he also struck out nearly a batter per inning and has an 8.5 K/9 mark in his minor league career. The Astros should be able to keep him in their bullpen all year, which they'll have to do to retain his services.

19. juicystream

He has to be on the big league roster or be offered back. I wonder if they are considering him as our starting SS?

Stats remind me of Angel Sanchez, but he is only 22, is much better defensively, and supposedly much faster. So there is loads more potential with him. He put up good minor league numbers last year, and has been good in winter ball as well.

I'm liking this guy a lot more than the guy we took number 1.

20. MadMax

I'm guessing they are...and also he's played a ton of positions, so he could be on the roster as a utility guy at the very least.