1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2008 Senate Races

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Oct 15, 2008.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We need a good Senate thread. Decent Dem potential in GA, KY, and MS. If everything else holds, they need one of the three to reach 60 and kiss Lieberman goodbye.

The Repubs just conceded LA, their only chance at a Dem seat...

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My great hope regarding the Senate is that enough Demopcrats win that we can reach 60 without LIEberman. Then he could be read out of the party.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I started a senate thread 3-4 weeks ago and very few were interested. Hopefully your thread catches on. The reality is the Senate is all there is left to talk about. The Dems have a historic opportunity to get 60 seats, something that hasn't happened in over 30 years. In addition, the Republicans will be defending 19 seats (vs 15 for the Dems) in 2010.

But I think most people (understandably) still want to talk about the presidential election and focus on Obama's margin of victory in the popular vote and Electoral College. A presidential election with no incumbent is a special event. Plus you have to add Obama's historical significance as the only black candidate to make it this far. When it's all said and done years from now, people won't be talking about the senate elections in 2008. It's all about Obama.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One other thought: What's the latest poll on Cornyn vs. Noriega in Texas? The last one I know of was September 29th (Rasmussen) and Cornyn was ahead only 50/43. Most polls have Obama extending his lead over McCain since then and maybe this senate race has tightened up. I don't think Cornyn will lose but it may end up being fairly close.

5. rimrocker

Agreed. But what they say depends greatly on how much of his agenda he's able to get through Congress. The House will be there. The only potential bottleneck is the Senate... and possibly the courts, but we'll solve that over time.

6. rimrocker

A little blurb about the coming tidal wave in the House... a Dem majority of +100 seats is not out of the question...

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That is still the most recent numbers. They are debating tonight (8 pm on CSPAN2). I started a thread on this race a while back and got 0 responses.

I think Noriega has a real chance. Watch tonight and you'll see why.

8. rimrocker

New poll shows the GA Senate race to be 2 points, well within the margin of error. It will come down to turnout.

9. rimrocker

Lobbyists buying clothes for Coleman is not going over well. Franken has come from behind.

10. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I always chuckle when Mccain talks about things he wants to do when he gets elected.

NEWSFLASH MCCAIN: if by some chance you get elected the senate will still be strong democrat and won't approve of any of your hair brained schemes

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How will Obama's and Biden's seats be filled if they win the election? When discussing 60, are you all accounting for those two seats?

12. rimrocker

Both states have Dem govs and would appoint Dems. In DE, it'd probably be Biden's son, who is now the state's Attorney General, or someone who would hold the seat until Biden's son made a run in 2010. Illinois is more complicated, but still safely Dem.

13. rimrocker

Mark Udall (D), the next US Senator from Colorado...

14. rimrocker

Research 2000 poll:

Cornyn 50
    Noriega 44

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Won't happen. Probably out of reach.

16. rimrocker

Most likely... but a pending McCain defeat could dampen Repub turnout and Obama's machine may turn out a few more... and all of a sudden it is very close.

17. rimrocker

Research 2000 poll for Mississippi:

Wicker (R) 47
    Musgrove (D) 46

Getting that Senate seat would be no less than amazing.

On a related note, Obama is pulling in a whopping 15% of white voters in Mississippi. Musgrove is at 24%.

Mississippi is the poorest state in the country and a Republican stronghold. Those two things don't normally go together well. I wonder if there is some other factor that might cause Mississippi to play out this way?

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Rim have you heard anything about Elizabeth Dole in NC?

19. rimrocker

Last night on FOX, Bill Kristol said it was a fact that Dole would lose.

Last polling I saw only showed her down 3 or 4, so I wouldn't put stock into anything Kristol says.

Meanwhile, on the House side...

20. rimrocker

NYTimes on the Mississippi race...