1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2003 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mprodrig, Sep 26, 2002.

1. mprodrig

mprodrig Member

I was curious if anyone knew how many draft picks the Texans will have next year. Also, after watching the first few games what you think we should look for in the draft. My opionion is that we go after one of the top O-linemen and maybe a #1 receiver. Not sure if Jabar Gaffney is going to develope the way we would like.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If the Texans do not make the playoffs they will have the extra picks like they did in the last draft. Plus an extra third from a draft day trade and an extra seventh they got from another trade. In other words:
    First: 1
    Second: 2
    Third: 3
    Fourth: 2
    Fifth: 2
    Sixth: 2
    Seventh: 4
    Most likely they will not go for a top o-lineman in the first round. Targets include William Douglas DT from Miami, Roy Williams WR from Texas and Charles Rogers WR from Michigan State. I would love to see Douglas myself.

3. Buck Turgidson

I thought William Joseph was the stud DT (or the best of several studs) from Miami. Is there a W. Douglas as well?

I am firmly entrenched on the C. Rogers bandwagon, at least for now. It's really waaaaaaay too early to be talking specific players.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wonder if any of the draft picks will want to come to Houston?

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

No, it is William Joseph.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It is Joseph my bad. What do you mean if the draft picks want to come to Houston?

7. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Miami has two top 10 picks at defense line, Jerome McDougle and William Joseph. Don't forget about Cory Redding out of UT, or another local guy in Ty Waren from Texas A&M. I would like to get Ty Warren in the 2nd and Charles Rogers in the 1st.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Our offense needs help.

Charles Rogers

9. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I agree, we should take Charles Rogers, the next Jerry Rice!

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Charles Rogers!

11. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

Don't forget Texas' Roy Williams. He's got more overall talent and potential than Charles Rogers but has been injury-prone, so who knows?

12. Truth

Truth Member

I just really started watching college foootball (strictly for Texans Scouting purposes), so I don't know what this guy's draft projections are, but I was thinking since the Texans have 2 second rounders and 3 third rounders maybe we could draft Teyo Johnson. I first heard of this guy in some thread about Yao's Friend or something, but then I saw him playing on ESPN 2 one day and I came away extremely impressed. He's big and he got moves.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=103794

#12 Truth, Sep 28, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2002
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yeah Johnson is a big target kind of a cross between David Boston and Tony Gonzales. I would love to us nab him as well. But as we approach draft day I have a feeling his status is going to climb.

14. HaYnBoi

HaYnBoi Member

I think we should go with a Receiver for our first pick to give Carr another possible weapon. Picking up a O - Line man is a good idea too but i just think with Boselli and Young coming back, suppossedly after the bye week, if they dont get hurt then they'll be good to go next season, then our O line can be for the most part stable. Adding a reciever for Carr seems so far like the way to go.

#14 HaYnBoi, Sep 28, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2002
  15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Get both Charles Rogers and Ty Warren...man that would be an awesome draft. Can we get Brian Gamble as well?

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Charles Johnson is a MUCH better player than Roy Williams. Williams is very talented, but he'll never be anything in the NFL.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Refman,

I beg to differ on Roy "the freak" Williams. Being a Longhorn student, who gets to see him up close on a weekly basis, he is an absolute stud. It's not his fault Greg Davis our OC, has underutilized him with screens most of the time.

Roy is the real deal, and will make a fine pro receiver. I figured an aggie supporter such as yourself could at least see that after watching him torch them in Austin 2 yrs ago.

Last year the wind in CS was terrible and thus he didnt get much happening his way, although Sammy Davis is a solid cover corner.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

We need a big body, good hands Wide out...

We'll be picking in the top 4 in next yrs draft.

Roy Williams is the man.

19. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Yeah, what if Williams or Rogers don't come out? It does stink to what if especially when we are so many months away from the draft? Expectations might be made and some of you all might get upset!!!! Let them play football and wait until draft time to do what if. Enjoy the Texans now. Worry about the future later.

20. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Aside from Chris Chambers, Kevin Johnson, and Randy Moss, first year receivers don't do much . I would prefer the Texans go after David Boston in free agency and in the draft go after the best available lineman. Later in the draft defensive backs, a Tight end.