1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2002 Draft Status of Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by enbehay, Dec 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. enbehay

enbehay Member

The Rockets still owe their 2002 first round pick to the Griz unless they win the #1 overall pick. What other picks does Houston have for the coming draft? Does anybody still owe us a #1 for the coming year? Just an idle question until the Rockets heal.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Where did you hear they owe anything but the #1 to the Grizz? From what I have heard (and Clutch and I discussed this just the other night), that isn't necessarily the case.

We seem to have made the assumption, but teams don't always know exactly what is owed and when until the season is done.

According to NBADraft.net, we owe the Grizz a first round pick next year but it is lottery protected and we get Toronto's first round pick which is also lottery protected. Nothing about #1 or top 3.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?threadid=25918

I think I need to make this a "sticky" reference thread, because the more we lose, the more people are going to wonder about our draft pick.

It's not 100% certain, but it is all compiled from newspaper articles over the past 2 years.

4. enbehay

enbehay Member

For some reason I seem to remember from all of last year's draft talk that for 2002 we had to give the Griz our #1 (or some other team's pick as long as it was within two spots of the Rockets first round pick). Since we didn't give them our pick in 2001, the pick had to be this year unless we won the Big Lotto (#1 overall).

5. enbehay

enbehay Member

Thanks, Clutch and Jeff, I missed that thread back on Dec. 7. That explains a lot and clears my fuzzy thoughts on the coming draft. However, I just hope the Rockets start healing, Moochie stops dribbling so much of the clock away and the Griffin plays like he did against the Lakers.

6. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

The Grizz pick is not due this year, its by next year. That is the reason why they were going NUTS, trying to work a deal for Houston's pick last year (from Orlando) to satisfy Detroit. If they did not, they would be hosting DRAFT NIGHT with no first round picks (guaranteed).

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Is it too early to start the Draft Lottery Race 2002 yet?

8. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

I read that we need to give them a top 18 pick so maybe we could give them toroto's pick instead of ours .