1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

1st round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daaum, Feb 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. daaum

daaum Member

sorry,i know this been discussed befor but im confused......

do we have chicagos draft pick next year because they have 2 pick according to ww.nbadraft.net....i know it mock draft picks...but there is chance for them to get 1-5.

does utah get pick according to tht trade....cause i dont know wat they mean by conditional draft pick.......please clear

thanks

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Utah gets a condtional first pick from us and i think its is lotto protected. We get the bulls 1st round pick if under 20, which means we will not get it. Instead for the next 2 years, we get to exchange 2nd round picks if their pick is better. So they probley Utah will our pick this year if we make playoffs.

3. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

i take that from espn rockets page
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/transactions?team=hou

September 30, 2003 Acquired forward-center John Amaechi and a future second-round draft pick from the Utah Jazz for forward Glen Rice

a first round draft top 20 protected - or two second round pick

and another second round draft from utah

that what i think

:confused:

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

The Chicago protected first rounder that they owe us from the Drew obligation is no longer ours...

it went to Utah in the Rice/Ameachi trade.

if the Bulls are in the lotto thisyear...then Utah gets two second rounders instead in 05 and 06

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Utah gets our 1st rounder and the Chicago obligation - but hey - they are giving us Sac's 2nd rounder!

{Still trying to get over that one...}

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

so what do we get then this year? our normal pick or something else?

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think we gave away our first rounder this year(as long as we stay out of the lottery)...we do still have our second rounder + Sacs from the Utah trade.

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I thought no team could go two years in a row without a 1st round pick.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont fully understand the loophole about that one....but it is legal..GATER explained it a while back.

I do know two things...

we dont have a first this year(unles we miss the playoffs since it is protected)
    and we no longer own the Chicago pick(Drew obligation)

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You can't go without a first round pick in two consectutive future drafts. Once we gave Memphis the 1st round pick for Francis, the missing future 1sts was reset back to zero. With the Rice/Amaechi trade, it went back up to one and after the 2004 Lottery, it will reset back to zero. IOW, we can send/use a future 1st in the Bobcats' expansion draft and/or ith the trade exception.