1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st candidate to challenge Cornyn... MJ Hegar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Fantasma Negro

Her commercials are lame and super try hardy lol

Why are there weights in the garage but she's fat and her husband looks soy? lol

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In terms of political ads that's actually very effective messaging and visual cues. There's alot to unpack from a visual standpoint.

It's actually pretty weird that you'd post it, and get it more views. Kind of gives credence to the notion that there are super liberals here that pose as stupid Trump supporters. This post would definitely qualify for giving that theory credence.

3. Fantasma Negro

Suck ya mum

4. Nook

Nook Member

She was one of the first women pilots in war.

She had to beg and fight to get into pilot school as a female.

She graduated at the top of her class.

She served at least three full tours of duty in war.

She had over 100 successful missions if I remember right.

She was shot down in Afghanistan, she was shot by the enemy.

She had serious injuries to her legs and arms and back.

She wanted to go back for a 4th tour..... when they forced her to retire because of her back injury!

She then asked to be put in active combat and they refused..........

This woman has done all of this........ and your response is that at nearly 50; "she's fat ...... lol"

[​IMG]

5. Fantasma Negro

Oh you're juicing to go huh lol. Those are great accomplishments, she should sell the weight set because she doesn't use it

6. Nook

Nook Member

Juicing to go? Not especially......... I just believe you either were ignorant to what she has done or you are purposely being an ass.

You can disagree with her policy choices and attack them........ but to point out that she is fat with all that she has done and gone through is really weak.

7. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

You know, juicing to go, like djt.

8. Fantasma Negro

I think she's great, she's a hero. Never said anything against her as a candidate. Her commercials are very try-hardy but I like the one with the cgi helicopter. The motorcycle commercial is silly.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Fair enough..... I just thought the comment about her appearance was off based on history...... I felt the same way when people called John McCain a cripple.

RayRay10, Blatz and Fantasma Negro like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

helicopter you say?

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-loca...hn-cornyn-democrat-mj-hegar-debate-in-austin/

MJ Hegar’s opening statement:

“Texas is at the forefront of a lot of the major crises that our country is facing,” says Hegar in her opening statement. “The economic crisis, the health care crisis, the immigration crisis — were all made worse by the fumbled handling of this pandemic. But they were here before. So tonight, when you’re hearing the various plans and solutions, ask yourself if you’ve heard these promises from Sen. Cornyn before. And then ask yourself why he hasn’t been able to deliver on them. In the 18 years he’s had in the Senate, a third of the time he’s had a majority in the House and the Senate — and the White House. Ya’ll we need to start electing servant-leaders who can set aside their self interest, ask what’s best for our country — not their careers. And attack the problems that we have, head-on. If you ask me, we have way too much D.C. in government and not nearly enough Texas.”

Sen. John Cornyn’s opening statement:

“I love Texas. It’s been my great honor and privilege to represent her and 29 million others in the U.S. Senate. I don’t believe we need to make Texas like Chuck Schumer’s New York or Nancy Pelosi’s California — which the policies by my opponent would do. We need to make the rest of the country more like Texas. Respect is on the ballot. Respect for Medicare recipients, whose benefits are threatened. For the energy workers who would be put out of work by the policies embraced by my opponent. And respect for law enforcement. Sam Houston said that what is good for Texas is good for the country. And I believe that’s still true today.”

If elected would you vote for direct stimulus checks for Texans?

HEGAR: “… I believe we can’t attack the economic crisis until we get the public health crisis under control… we can open businesses all we want, but there won’t be customers there to patronize the businesses. I believe we need more stimulus, I’m upset that the government and the Senate haven’t acted in over six months. I was upset that John Cornyn said he didn’t feel a sense of urgency to get more relief out. He said that multiple times. I’d like to see us get the pandemic under control by listening to public health experts and data and then I’d like to see us get the economic crisis under control for regular Americans and Texans, because we are the backbone of this economy. Not the wealth special interests… I do support direct stimulus checks as part of a bigger package.”

CORNYN: “I not only would, I have. I was part of the bipartisan coalition, really an almost unanimous vote in the United States Senate and House to pass $3.8 trillion dollars in spending — both to fight the pandemic, the public health challenge, as well as deal with the economic consequences associated with it. My heart goes out to those who through no fault of their own find themselves without a paycheck. Locked down with somebody who is abusing them, anxious about where their next meal is going to come from. I’ve actually done something about it… but we need to do more. And I hope that the White House and Speaker Pelosi will continue to negotiate…”

Hegar rebuts Cornyn’s comment that Hegar’s “chief campaign sponsor” Chuck Schumer rejected the stimulus package in Washington, by saying: “It must be frustrating for you, John, to not be able to run against Chuck Schumer. He’s running against MJ Hegar, but you’re going to hear a lot of ‘Pelosi,’ and ‘Schumer’ and other names, because he can’t run against my vision for this state.”

Hegar on her lack of experience: “Experience is really important and I think we need to elect people with the right type of experience — but I do have experience. Being in D.C., building broad, bipartisan coalitions… I’m not surprised John Cornyn doesn’t know about my bipartisan experience because he was one of the people who wouldn’t take a meeting with me when I was there.”

Cornyn on voting for a stimulus package that did not include a direct relief payment: “As I said, we’ve actually tried to do everything we can to throw a lifeline to those individuals in the first four packages, which included direct payment to individuals who found themselves out of work, we enhanced the unemployment insurance benefit, and the most impactful thing we’ve done for the economy is the Paycheck Protection Program. But we do need to stop this virus. And the only way we’re going to do that is to get a vaccine.”

Hegar on Cornyn saying he’s “tried to do everything we can” to help Texans through COVID-19 pandemic: “He just said they’ve done everything they can. So it’s time for him to step aside…”

Cornyn on whether he’d accept scientific data indicating Texas needs to shut down businesses again: “I think we’ve learned a lot about this virus in this terrible time we’ve lived through…when the president ordered a shutdown of air transportation from China, there were people who called him ‘racist’ and ‘xenophobic’ but that was probably one of the most important things that could happen at that time. You’ll recall that Nancy Pelosi and Mayor DeBlasio went to Chinatown in New York and in San Francisco and said, ‘We’re open for business, there’s no problem.’ And then you saw the difference in the advice that was given by Dr. Fauci and others.. before April they said masks don’t do you any good. And now, we all dutifully socially distance and wear masks… so I don’t believe that we need any lockdowns. It’s done tremendous damage to individuals and the economy. And we need this economy to be there so we can come back once this virus is in the rear-view mirror…”

Hegar on Cornyn’s answer about whether he’d support another Texas shut down: “Listen carefully how that was a ‘no.’… I am really disturbed by a lack of listening to science, to public health experts…. it’s not up to opinion or ‘What do the polls say?’ or ‘Is it good for my re-election?“

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cornyn on whether he’d support a national mask mandate: “I would not.”

Cornyn says the U.S. and Texas are diverse places, saying, “We don’t need the government to fill the void that we should fill ourselves by acting responsibly at the local level to keep each other safe and to get this economy growing again.”

Hegar on a national mask mandate: “I am for a national strategy — I do agree that different parts of Texas are different. I would be for a national strategy that takes science and objective metrics into consideration…”

Hegar on mandatory COVID-19 vaccines for students: “We really need to work with health experts to get our kids back into school. But in July, when we had over 1,700 positive cases of kids with COVID, John Cornyn said he wasn’t even sure if kids could catch COVID. Ya’ll we need leaders that are informed. That either have the right information or competence to make these decisions. Or when they have that information, don’t insist on spreading misinformation and talking points from their party leadership.”

Hegar says she supports vaccinations, despite not really “being a fan” of the government mandating things on your body. “We don’t have the right to make other people sick.”

Cornyn on mandatory vaccines for students: “… we now know kids can get it, and they can spread it to people who are vulnerable and that’s why it’s important to protect the most vulnerable people… I support kids going to school when they can safely do so, in consultation with their parents…”

Cornyn says people over 80 and people with underlying health conditions should be the first to get a vaccine once one is available.

Both Hegar and Cornyn say they’ll get a COVID-19 vaccine once one is available.

Cornyn on supporting Amy Coney Barrett’s SCOTUS confirmation, despite not supporting that of Merrick Garland in 2016: “If Hillary Clinton had won the election, as everyone expected at the time, you wouldn’t hear a peep out of people on this topic. But what’s really at stake with Amy Coney Barrett, who’s been attacked for her religious faith… who it’s been suggested that she’s somehow disqualified because she’s a Christian, and she can’t make decisions irrespective of her beliefs, that’s what I think the American people need to see.”

Hegar says the “urgency” around getting Amy Coney Barrett confirmed to the Supreme Court is misplaced. “Where is this urgency when it comes to getting us COVID relief?”

She says the GOP wouldn’t be trying to push through Barrett during an election if they thought they were going to hold on to the Senate and the White House.

“I think they [Republicans] have the right to vote on this, but there’s a difference between having the right to do something and it being the right thing to do… Precedent matters.”

Hegar on opposition to “packing the court”: “Right now I’m only hearing how it would benefit one party over another… as a combat vet who shed blood for our Constitution, I’m going to be asking what’s best for our country. If people make the argument to me that it’s in the best interest of our country, that’s one thing. Right now, I think we do need term limits for judges. That would solve a lot of these problems.”

Hegar says she’s reaching out to communities of color and minorities by going out and talking to people and listening. She says she’s partnered with these communities to devise policy-driven solutions to their issues.

Cornyn on Jonathan Price killing: “I believe all African-American lives matter… and when a police officer steps across the line, like they did in the George Floyd murder, they need to be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But I support law enforcement because they are who keep our communities safe. Unlike my opponent, who backs Campaign Zero. They not only want to defund the police, they want to abolish police. And they want to legalize things like prostitution — to me those are not Texas values. We need to support our men and women in blue because they are the thin blue line between us and danger..”

They're still updating their blog so check back (or not...or watch below)...

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

After the cycle ad, I think Hegar should just challenge Cornyn to an arm wrestling match. Enough of these effete conservative elitists ruling Texas and pretending to be just cowboys and ranchhands.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are really pathetic, with all respect due. Hegar is a fantastic candidate running an excellent campaign, and if Joe Biden surprises the nation and takes Texas, she just might beat Cronyn. In some polls, she’s very close. Cronyn is just another politician sucking up to a failed “president,” Mr trump.

There are only two things going for Cronyn. He’s running in a gerrymandered state with a Republican Governor, Lt Governor, and a corrupt Attorney General who are doing every conceivable thing to suppress the vote of Texans across the state in an effort to hold on to power. That, and a Texas Supreme Court with every single member a partisan Republican who has bent over and supported all the outrageous efforts to prevent Texans from voting.

MJ Hegar would and hopefully will be a fantastic senator for Texas.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, Misogynists' are everywhere.

DD

Deckard likes this.