1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1964 News] FBI Probing Death of Black Man Hanging From Tree in Mississippi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by percicles, Mar 19, 2015.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Racist or Suicide?

Yeah, I imagine lynching oneself from a tree is most definitely the last choice for a suicidal black person

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's actually fairly ridiculous assumption about the priorities of a severely depressed person.

3. Remii

Remii Member

You completely ignore that two men where lynched just to make a ridiculous assumption because of an assumption you think is ridiculous... But I'm not surprised.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Wow and his last name is Byrd. :(

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I hope he wasn't related to James Byrd Jr.!...:confused:

Regardless if it was a homicide or suicide it's still a tragedy to die that way!

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

One was initially ruled as a suicide by local authorities and both eventually will be by the FBI. You idiotically ignore the fact that Otis Byrd was a ****ing murderer, or any of the likely emotional or psychological issues associated with that, or that fact that blacks have very obviously committed suicide by hanging before, so you can convolute his issues into another claim of black victimhood tenuously tied to slavery or Jim Crow.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, the local authorities ruled it a suicide and there was nothing around for the kid to stand on to hang himself which is why the FBI called it suspicious and stepped in to investigate. I see you stupidly ignored that fact but again... I'm not surprised because that's what you do Captain.

"Jesse, did you know that this man is the last surviving member of the Mo-Tee-Sah tribe?"

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Let's see what they find out. I honestly wouldn't be surprised with either a murder or a suicide -- both seem plausible enough.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Three or four times over the last few years black people were found hung and the immediate conclusion from the media and some people was "lynching". In each case it was investigated and proven to be suicide. I suppose what is sad is that based on our own history people jump to "lynching". No civilization has a "pretty" history, but the fact is that we, as a country, have our own dark marks.

I will say that people claiming that nothing has changed since 1964, are off base. Lynchings are extremely, extremely rare and virtually nonexistant over the last 30-40 years. That was a different period, from around 1900-1960 I remember reading years ago that there were 4000-5000 lynchings of black people and another 1500 lynchings of white people. Now there is racism, and it is more complicated than ever, but people hanging from trees just isn't a real concern for the most part.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know what your dumbass "captain" comment is in reference to, but this meaningless jibberish is the only new information in your post. They were both suicides and the FBI will rule them as such. "Suspicious," in this case just means inconclusive, but you willfully leap to logic so you can get in all your Jim Crow references beforehand.

11. Remii

Remii Member

You can have the opinion they were both suicides. But just because you have that opinion doesn't make it true. Back in the day when black people were getting lynched they would rule it suicide too. The kid that was lynched last year was dating a white woman... Just like the man who was killed in Jasper Tx recently and a black kid in Livingston Tx.

Jim Crow isn't just about lynching people. But your thought process is too simple to understand that.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're the dip**** who's been referencing and alluding to it in the context of black suicides. What your short-circuited mental process doesn't grasp is that "Jim Crow" is ****ing over and has been for some time.

If the forensic pathologists and coroners ruled it a suicide that holds more weight than your self-pitying racial conspiracy theory. And if you're going to string together a bunch of random anecdotes about black deaths, please provide at least one damn link.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'd think that one difference between suicide by hanging and lynching would be that people don't beat themselves up and bind their hands (signs of a struggle) when they commit suicide.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Do you mean my theory or the FBI's theory of the murder being suspicious regardless of what the forensic pathologists and coroners ruled.

Is the tee ready yet ;)

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Take a look at the distance relative to the family home in which he was found dead. And he was hung by a bed sheet? Why not a rope? My bet is it was a family member or close friend that committed the murder. Somebody that took the responsibility of taking care of his family during his stint in prison but grew very impatient and angry when he couldn't or wouldn't repay the favor.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The murder also wad done in a way to exploit the current circumstances around the country. I wish not to offend anyone as these are just speculations yet to be confirmed true...

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Is there any indication or evidence of that in this instance?

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Byrd may have also had some emotional response to current events or circumstances in his life; and responded once again with deadly, impulsive behavior, as he had in the past.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Also a history of authority figures fudging reports
    Trust is at an all time low .. . . . .
    It is not on the person to learn to retrust this governmental system
    it is for this governmental system to reach out to its citizens and be more trustworthy.

Rocket River

20. Remii

Remii Member

That's a reasonable theory... Do you think the same theory applies to 17 year old Lacy...?