1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

14% of North Africans and Middle Easterners Believe Targeting Civilians is Sometimes Justified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Appallingly high number. I guess it speaks to how much fear, lack of education and hopelessness exists in the region combined with no ability to influence politics and no army of the people to defend/attack with any sort of principle.

Crazy stuff.

Stats (spoiler for size):

[​IMG]

Lots more from this survey/poll in the video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E9xuLI_0KSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 Mathloom, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unless you want to declare an open city and get rhetorically emasculated for the next three-quarters-of-a-century by your oldest ally, your administrative and economic centers will be considered military targets in a declared war and civilians deaths will be unavoidable. If you're talking about all the undiagnosed manic depressives using religious scripture as a pretext for murder-suicide, probably not.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The Axis of evil during 1943 had no problem fire bombing German, British and Russian cities. Its not always psycho's committing the atrocities.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's an interesting opinion but largely irrelevant here. We're talking about everyday citizens of various countries and their personal willingness to murder for what they perceive to be justice.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I believe the context of Mathloom's point is referring to the Pew research polls that are shoved down everyone's throat anytime someone suggests that a majoirty of Muslims aren't psycophaths.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It IS sometimes justified, just not very often. This just means that 86% of North Africans and Middle Easterners got that question wrong.....and then consider that 74% of them got the first question wrong too it makes you think that maybe they just aren't very good at polls.

7. fchowd0311

No it's never justified. O wait, that's a normative statement. Stop making it into a positive one.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sounds like you're re-framing declared wars or sovereign police actions as murder, then excluding domestic terrorism to squarely condemn US and the UK.

9. fchowd0311

You still aren't grasping the intent. I'm sure you've seen these Pew research polls that are constantly posted here about significant portions of Muslims in various regions that support certain violent precepts of Sharia Law. I think Mathloom's point is if you want to use polling data as valid evidence of a certain groups values then you have to accept that Americans place less value on civilian life than North Africans, Middle Easterners and Europeans.
    It's that simple.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

An issue with what the guy in the video is trying to do with this data is that he's suggesting a link between the answer to the first question and the answer to the second question where there is no link. You can support a violent interpretation of Sharia law without "targeting civilians". The death penalty isn't "targeting civilians" it's just a punishment for a crime. You could support cutting someone's balls off for rape and you wouldn't be targeting civilians, you'd just be carrying out a sentence.

Just because they got the answer to both questions wrong doesn't mean that they don't support violence.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I honestly believe 14% is too high and needs to be reduced. I have always known that Americans are the most violent people in the world but I'm not under the illusion that it is of their own doing or that they are born that way. I watch MSNBC and Fox News, I know what the deal is. It's the product of a dedicated establishment which specifically aims to achieve that 50% number. It's what keeps the mix/quantity of voters the same. It's what keeps the candidates the same. It's what keep most of the young populace disenfranchised and disconnected. That's a comfortable situation for things to keep operating the way they operate.

I've seen this being applied from scratch in a country so I know how it can profoundly change a nation. Overnight, I watched as certain people literally hired media lobbyists and PR firms directly affiliated with ex US presidents and army generals in order to achieve that 50% number in a country where there was 0 will for it. I know the day that it happened. When middle eastern autocrats are hiring firms advised by George Bush and Bill Clinton to enact large scale media projects, you immediately watch with shock. People in that country don't follow US media at all but being such a close follower of US politics I could immediately recognize that things are changing and they're changing in a very particular way. I recognized it so clearly. The country I'm talking about transformed before my eyes, a bunch of people who had never experienced inclusion in any political knowledge or experience suddenly being told terrorists are murdering their children and that they should support an invasion of people far away who have no interest in them. Incredible social experiment, probably no comparable example in history given the amount of MONEY shovelled into it. You literally could not conceive of how much money I'm talking about - even when compared to countries 100 to 200 times larger in size/population.

It's an experience I wish everyone had. When as Americans, you are born into the middle of that media project, it's hard to understand that it is far from the norm. You're in it. You believe it's normal for media outlets to do those things and show those things, you believe the images are overall representative of some semblance of truth. The last couple of times I visited the US when I turned on the news I was appalled. It's just so different. It's so incredibly different and warped. It can't be that what's appearing there is driven entirely by profit motive because there are more profitable things to cover a lot of times.

I'm saying to you, understand your context. I wish you knew nearly as much about my country as I know about yours so that you could tell me about my context. Unfortunately you can't reciprocate otherwise I know you would. Instead you're maybe under the impression that you know roughly as much about the socio-political life in my country as I know about yours. I really do wish sometimes that there was someone from the US or Western Europe from a western upbringing with whom I could discuss these things with a good understanding of the two angles. Instead I have people like pouhe twisting and dodging like the matrix. Americans justify violence against civilians three times easier than people whom they have been led to believe are ideologically irrationally violent. Let's talk about how to encourage less violence. Is that so threatening to you? Are you afraid to admit there's a 50% chance you're one of those people and that there is something wrong when it's so out of whack with most of the rest of the world? It's the highest rate in the world and it doesn't reflect the friendly and hospitable traditions Americans hold.

Anyways, I hope this helps. I know inevitably and naturally some people will get defensive about this kind of thing and try to dodge it with retaliatory comments. As far as I'm concerned, the moment you read that stat it added something to your understanding of Americans' political bruises and that's good enough. It's especially good because it comes from a source that the majority of people on this board trust to a certain extent.

If you consider that inflammatory, knock yourself out. Trash a culture which you have little to no understanding about. Trash me for being from that region. Call it BS. Whatever you like man. I make tons of inflammatory posts when something is outrageous, but this is not one of them. Me, I believe Americans are better than that. I don't make excuses for it, I just know that this is not fair to Americans to be under this reign of propaganda and have to defend it. It's really indefensible and the culprits are not me or you or the guy in the video. I'm fighting on your side for your minds and hearts and souls. Take that for what it's worth.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Says the guy who worked for a dictatorship that holds slaves from South Asia and has a terrible human rights record.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Here is more:

http://wereblog.com/the-dark-side-of-dubai

Remember, Mathloom worked or works for the government that exploits South Asian workers as slaves. He is an enabler of slavery. He also made the following statements here: He said he wanted a cartoonist who drew Mohammed to live in fear for the rest of his life and he blamed a woman who got raped. That is the same guy who has been making insane Islamist anti-USA rants like the above on this site for years.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Targeting civilians is sometimes justified. If the civilian in question is, for example, operating as a forward observer for a mortar team, he can certainly be targeted. If a civilian is trying to kidnap a child, of course he can be targeted, even by non-military personnel. It is a bizarre way to phrase a question when what I think they are trying to get at is whether or not the respondents think terrorism is sometimes justified. They should have given a more concrete example. Had they asked something like, "Do you think the (Hamas rocket attacks against Israeli cities/attack on the Charlie Hebdo office/Paris attacks/San Bernardino attack) are/was justifiable?" I imagine we would have seen very different results.

14. Raven

Raven Member

You're right, of course. Americans are so violent, we need to secure our border and eliminate immigration, so as not to endanger the billions of poor foreigners who want to move here for a better life. It's for their own safety.

:p

1 person likes this.
  15. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

If a person is operating as a forward observer for a mortar team then they are definitely not a civilian.

16. StupidMoniker

They are not a non-combatant, but they may still be a civilian. Civilian means not a member of the armed forces. If some kid on a cell phone calls in a position to a mortar team, he does not become a member of the military, but he does become a legitimate target. That to me is the problem with the question, and it makes the results meaningless. Even if you disagree with my analysis of who is a civilian and who is not, I would have answered that targeting civilians is sometimes justified based on that.

17. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

They are actively taking part in hostilities, which would not make them a civilian by any kind of definition.

18. fchowd0311

No... Any combatant is not a civilian. In your definition of 'civilian', members of the Taliban and Al-Qaeda are civilians. Neither entity is part of a formal standing military. That would mean any insurgent force and all COIN operations, the enemy are civilians. Just no...

19. StupidMoniker

I suppose Merriam Webster's online dictionary doesn't provide definitions of words in your estimation?

Setting aside the non-military personnel that aid military operations directly, would you consider any of the following both civilians and legitimate targets:
    1. people working in an arms manufacturing plant, either conventional or nuclear/biological/chemical
    2. spies
    3. criminals actively engaging in activities such as armed robbery, rape, attempted murder, or kidnapping

20. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

The Geneva Conventions are what most would use to define a civilian. This is generally any person who is not engaging in hostilities to the conflict (particularly Article 5):

Art. 5 Where in the territory of a Party to the conflict, the latter is satisfied that an individual protected person is definitely suspected of or engaged in activities hostile to the security of the State, such individual person shall not be entitled to claim such rights and privileges under the present Convention as would, if exercised in the favour of such individual person, be prejudicial to the security of such State.

Where in occupied territory an individual protected person is detained as a spy or saboteur, or as a person under definite suspicion of activity hostile to the security of the Occupying Power, such person shall, in those cases where absolute military security so requires, be regarded as having forfeited rights of communication under the present Convention.

A person who is "actively engaging in activities such as armed robbery, rape, attempted murder, or kidnapping" would still be a civilian. A criminal as well, but still a civilian. If those activities they were engaging in were against any of the hostile parties to the conflict, then they would forfeit the rights of a protected person (civilian).