1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

12-year-old alleged bullying victim dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MamboRock, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

12-year-old alleged bullying victim dies

A boy who was the victim of apparent bullying died Sunday at a Philadelphia-area hospital after being taken off life support, his family said. Bailey O'Neill, who turned 12 on Saturday, had been in a medically-induced coma since January, when he was allegedly beaten by two classmates on the playground during recess at his school.
    The sixth-grader sustained a concussion and broken nose, and suffered subsequent seizures, forcing doctors to induce the coma.
    "Bailey has been the strongest toughest boy I know," a message posted Sunday to the Building Hope for Bailey Facebook page read. "He has fought this battle long and hard. There just wasn't a way to fix this. I wish I could say he will get better but I can't. Bailey has gone to be with God today."
    According to NBC's Philadelphia affiliate, the students who allegedly attacked Bailey were suspended from Darby Township School, but criminal charges have yet to be filed. Police investigators are trying to determine whether the seizures were caused by injuries stemming from the Jan. 10 incident.
    According to the Delaware County Times, police have been reluctant to label the attack a case of "bullying."
    “I would like to see these kids punished,” Joy Fecanin, Bailey's grandmother, told NBC 10 last month. “Something has to be done. I don’t know what’s taking them so long.”
    Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said the investigation is ongoing.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bullying-victim-bailey-dies-153539081.html

What a messed up society that we are in today.

RIP Bailey.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Bullying"?? F that S. Criminally charge the responsible party. :eek: Wouldn't that be better?

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, Joy, I'll tell you why.

The police don't tend to follow up on this sort of thing. It isn't to their liking, nor do they understand it. Anyone see the documentary "Bully"? Sad, sad state of affairs, watching a sheriff rail against a girl who'd brandished a gun on a school bus in order to scare off the kids who'd been tormenting her every day.

Police tend to protect the bullies, the "they're just kids, this would ruin the rest of their lives" way of looking at things. And bullying is so commonplace that neither police nor school systems are prepared to open Pandora's box.

It's criminal neglect to let this sort of thing go on.

In "Bully", a school administrator was quietly lecturing a bullied kid:

Kid: "But you didn't do anything about (the bully) before, so...."

Administrator: (haughty quiet tone) "After I talked to him, did he keep sitting on your head?"

(I nearly threw stuff at the TV, but the kid had presence of mind:)

Kid: "No, he didn't do that, but he kept doing other stuff."

Administrator: (no response, because he was right)

In other words, the reprimanded bully quit sitting on the kid's head on the school bus---he obeyed the letter of the law---but he kept up the torment by punching, grabbing, verbal abuse, etc.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read that story earlier and it is horrible. The kids who did this need to be arrested. At 12 and 13 which I am guessing how old these kids are, they should already know there is consequences to their actions and beating another kid senseless needs to have consequences.

I am not saying these kids should be thrown into adult jail or tried for murder but this shouldn't be just excused as boys will be boys.

5. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

From Philly? A couple of boys who were up to no good started making trouble in his neighborhood? Parents should have sent him to Belaire.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Adult prison with Jerry Sandusky.

7. VanityHalfBlack

My condolences to the family of the 12 yr old boy.. I don't know how I would react if I had kids and something like this were to happened, but all I know is that it will go beyond what you see in Dexter..

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

This is terrible, and those who assaulted him should be punished to the full extent of the law. But I would be careful throwing around the term "bully". For example, the Texas Association of School Boards defines bullying in this manner:

One of the key words is persistent. Meaning, in order to meet the legal definition of "bullying", it would involve the same individual doing the "bullying" at least twice.

Why does this matter? Well, in my school, there was a kid who got beat up by a bigger kid. Couple of weeks later, he got beat up again, but by a different kid. Later in the year, it happened once again, this time by a THIRD kid. The mom was crying "bullying", but it turned out the "victim" was goading others into fights, running his mouth the whole time, and basically getting his butt kicked every time. There was no persistence in the abuse he received.

Now, I'm not saying that was the case here: we don't know the facts of what led to this assault. But it may have been just that: assault. Not bullying. That may seem like a small difference, but it's a very, very BIG difference from a teacher perspective. If there's true bullying going on (one kid or one group of kids repeatedly intimidating or demeaning another kid or group of kids), we can know what to look for and take action. But when one kid just up and jumps another kid, it's pretty dang hard to predict or prevent that.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How the hell is this bullying? This is manslaughter. Charge em with murder and let em plead it down to manslaughter. Bullying is taking someones lunch money, not killing them

10. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Send these little ****'s straight to Jerry Sandusky's prison.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How do they differentiate a case of bullying versus a school yard fight? I didn't read anything about consistent bullying but rather that this one kid got in a fight with two others.

Regardless, kids be so hard these days.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Exactly my point: bullying shows a pattern of some sort, a persistence. Take everyone's favorite bullying video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mEqniEvNcnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now, imagine that this video didn't exist, that we didn't see the little kid being a total punk. And imagine that, instead of being dropped on his side, the kid landed on his head and broke his neck. Dead, instantly. What would we have? A physical altercation where one victim was much smaller than the other. Clearly, the bigger kid was the bully, right? Except, as the video shows, that was not the case.

Bullying is a VERY gray area, and whenever people say the school should have done something about it, they need to realize that it can be VERY hard to pinpoint exactly who is doing what to whom.

#12 BetterThanI, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It's sad, but to say we live in a messed up society because of this...yes, in a way it is messed up that with all of our knowledge we can't stop senseless hate, but it isn't knew, and it isn't going anywhere. Children will be children, and that means some of them will be hurtful. Teachers and admin officials need to stick up for each other and stop worrying about what parents will say when they punish little brats.

Parents, if you have kids, more than likely, they are NOT angels. Don't assume that your kid is telling you the truth and teachers are lying.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I've been bullied. That's not bullying, that's manslaughter.

15. VanityHalfBlack

He was beaten to a pulp during recess??? Usually when fights break out all the kids at recess gather around to watch am I right? That is where the teachers come in to see what all the commotion is all about, my god these teachers at our school has gotten worse, Jesus christ what are we paying these douchebags, milk and cookies???

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Teachers never get involved, because intervening involves all sorts of work. And when they do decide to step in, they just punish both kids.

Of course, this is compounded with the fact that my generation was taught to turn the other cheek or try to talk it out. Meaning we were left to either get the **** kicked out of us or get less **** kicked out of us and get suspended.

17. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Forreal. The school's policy these days are ridiculous when it comes to fights. I remember in high school that if you were to get into a fight all parties involved would get suspended even in the case that you were getting jumped by 2 other guys and you fought back you would still get suspended because of fighting. That makes real sense.

18. VanityHalfBlack

That is just ridiculous, when I went to school if a fight breaks out/ teachers come in-between immediately and both sent to the principal office. Especially since it's happening on school grounds and in middle school no less.. I guess teachers don't get involved unless it's through sexual context.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Even stupider is when you have an early birthday like I do. I'm 18 because my birthday is in the fall, but there are still a decent number of 17 year olds in my grade. If one of them decides to **** with me, there's not a single thing I can do to respond (most guys only learn the hard way), otherwise I'm assaulting a minor, so the situation will escalate. I can't defend myself if it escalates, because then I'll get suspended (which BTW colleges will see). I can't rely on a teacher to intervene, because they'll turn a blind eye.

Thankfully, I'm get enough respect and my classmates are (somewhat) mature enough for me to not have this problem. But man, there's just nothing you can do. You want to know what motivates a well-enough suburban kid to shoot up his school? That. The fact that they can just get **** on day after day while their tormenter gets no reprecussions, that what does it. So, they grab a loaded gun and get the intoxicating thrills of power, bloodlust, and revenge.

Of course, no one wants to admit that, so we just keep telling kids to let people walk all over them.

20. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]