1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJ, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DJ

DJ Member

It has been exactly ten years since Charles Barkley's career as a Rocket suffered a devastating blow. It seem as if it were yesterday and it is hard to believe that one decade has passed since then. I remember I felt really sad for my favorite basketball player at that time. That was a transition time for the Rockets filled with growing pains.

1 person likes this.
  2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

As a kid, I hated the trade because I thought we lost all our distance shooting.

But Barkley won me over before long to the point, he is the only basketball player whose shoes I forced my parents to buy for me. It is sad that he currently hates on the Rockets so much, but other then that he is one of the best players I've had the pleasure of watching play along with one of the most entertaining commentators.

3. DJ

DJ Member

He is the reason I'm a Rocket fan

4. Notorious_Flava

I have no respect for Barkely. Not even enough to spell his name right. All he does is trash the Rockets and trash T-mac.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was one of the few athletes to put his money where his mouth is. He took a 1million dollar contract so the rockets could get pippen.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent thread. You should have put a disclaimer to NO ROOKIES or FAKE ROCKET FANs first.

When you say Charles Barkley's career, some people here mistaken it for his TNT career. Not the career where he was an MVP and helped the Rockets defeat the Super Sonics (A team that has moved to Okahoma City to the Barkley TNT rookies here).

heres a great article back in the day:
    http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=55
    [​IMG]

A Tribute to Sir Charles
    THURSDAY, APRIL 20, 2000 6:36 AM CT
    By Michael Fulton
    Copyright 2000 ClutchFans.net

Round Mound walks away
    Honorable, and sometimes dishonorable, Charles Barkley was always fun
    Today is a sad day.

As I wake up this morning, I come to realize that something is missing. That something is the honorable (and sometimes dishonorable, but always fun) Sir Charles Barkley.

This season started with such promise for the Rockets. The cancer was gone. We finally had a point guard. Hakeem Olajuwon was in good shape. And the Round Mound of Rebound was on a mission to bring home a championship in his final season. But it was not to be and this season of hope ended on that cold (they were playing in Philly, not Texas) December night when Charles went down with a ruptured quadriceps tendon.

Or so we thought. The despair for this Rockets team eventually turned back into hope as we found Charles' successor, a brash young trash-talking rookie with the game to back it up, a guy by the name of Stevie Franchise. And we began to see Sir Charles' influence on this team as the cockiness shown thru, but they worked hard and had fun, even when they were losing. And now the future looks bright for the Rockets.

And last night we found out it wasn't over for Sir Charles either. He wouldn't let that freak accident end his career. He would walk off the court on his terms... and walk off he did to a standing ovation from the Houston crowd who loved him so much.

I have had a love hate relationship with Charles Barkley during his time here in Houston. Until this past year, I thought he hurt this team more than he helped them with his style of play and his controversial attitude. But this year, as the rebuilding process began, I saw that Charles was the one person I wanted these young players to learn from, even more than Hakeem.

His numbers are indisputable. One of only three players with 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists, Barkley has career averages of 22.3 points and 11.7 rebounds. He ranks 13th on the all time scoring list with 23,757 points and 15th on the all time rebounding list with 12,546. All this from a man who was many times 6 inches shorter than the man he was guarding.

The knock on Charles the last couple of years has been that he never won a championship. To that I say, neither has Ernie Banks or Karl Malone or Dan Marino or Ken Griffey, Jr. And Steve Kerr has more than one. Championships never has been and never will be a way to measure a player. Rudy said it best last night when he said Charles Barkley had the "heart of a champion" and it was only fitting that he end his career on the team that has come to epitomize the phrase.

I have long been a fan of Hakeem Olajuwon. He is what brought me to the Rockets oh so many years ago. And although I rooted for him because he was on my team, I can honestly say I was never a fan of Sir Charles Barkley.

But today, as I wake up with a heavy heart, I come to realize one thing.

I am a fan, a fan of the best little man to ever play this game. Charles, thanks for the memories. You will be missed.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

So it's roughly 10 years ago that Barkley became a bitter Rockets hater.

Thanks for the memories.

8. Turpis

Turpis Member

I became a Rockets fan because of Barkley... And nothing's gonna change my opinion for him (even "worst team in the nba")

9. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

He's the reason I started watching Rocket games too. During the Championship years I was too young to really enjoy the games, but I always had the cool Championship shirts and what not. So when Barkley went down, I decided to check out how much the team had changed from its glory years. Stevie Franchise's dunks and crossovers got me hooked on basketball (sadly, during some of the worst years to be a Rocket's fan).

Thanks Chuck for peaking my interest, but calm it with the Rockets hate.

10. hjg877

hjg877 Member

You're still going to have to clarify this.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

well he only had one career and he won the mvp and he helped many teams like the rockets. he was a major factor in the seattle series.

12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Played great for us, sad to see him so bitter toward us now-a-days, but I guess 3 million means alot for a gambler.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Mark Jackson mentioned that Barkley's grand mother passed away last week, probably why he wasn't on TNT.

Condolences to Chuck! Some of us still remember you here!