1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Games In -- Who are you happiest with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Nov 6, 2022.

?

Who are you happiest with given the team's terrible start?

1. Alperen Sengun

79 vote(s)
    56.0%
  2. Usman Garuba

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Tari Eason

34 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Kenyon Martin Jr.

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er

Well as we sit at 1-9 on the season, there hasn't been a lot of positives. It's clear that KPJ's not a PG and needs to either be our SF or 6th man. The continued experiment is detrimental to everyone's else development. Jalen has flashed, but has been inconsistent. Jabari is solid on defense, but needs work on offense and some structure would likely help. EG has been uninspired and needs a new home.

With that, I've chosen 4 players that I believe have had decent starts.
    - Alpi continues to be a spark in the high- and low-post. In the last few games, it's also evident we're trying to get him the ball in the low post and he's been producing.
    - Gauba's light bulb has switched on and his hustle/tenacity has been inspirational in the last few games. If he can keep up this intensity, he'll be a solid role player/energizer for us.
    - Tari has shined in his limited minutes and desperately needs more time. Love his defense, rebounding and solid overall contributions.
    - KMJr has flashed, but he to would benefit from more structure. Whether he sticks around or not, he has upside as a solid role player. Still needs to tighten up his defense.

I was torn in my selection by the top 3 above, but ultimately chose Eason as he's a rookie and adapted well to the challenges.

clutchdabear and Corrosion like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sengun and Tari.

If we had a coach that could properly ration minutes, we'd all be a lot happier, though.

Caesar, JW86, JoeBarelyCares and 11 others like this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Sengun.. I thought last year was just some fluky success due to being unorthodox.. But dude has skills..

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

draft lottery 2023

ArtV, JoeBarelyCares, Salvy and 3 others like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sengun looking money

Boii, BallSoHarden, LeDakota and 3 others like this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Good
    -Sengun
    -Eason
    -Green (some may not agree but I like how he has looked. I think KPJ hurts him)
    -Garuba

Bad
    -Smith
    -Silas
    -KPJ as PG
    -Selfish Gordon

Caesar, hajkov, Jontro and 7 others like this.
  7. a time to chill

Sengun by far. However, I would've selected Garuba if he could put the ball in the basket.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Silas

Salvy and Ankara1923 like this.
  9. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Sengun, besides everything he does on the floor, I love his mentality and got that dawg in him. Dude has the soul of a WINNER.

Tari, his contribution to both sides of the game is great so far.

KMJ, improved his shooting a lot, showing progress.

I'm happy with all together.

Boii, fryjol7, Dovahkiin and 4 others like this.
  10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

11. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Would like to vote for JGreen+Sengun+Tari+Jabari quartet but unfortunately JGreen and Jabari are not even consideration.

#16 are #17 are doing much better tahn #2 and #3.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Happiest with Silas. We needed to lose for draft picks this year and he’s making that happen. Well done.

nolimitnp and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  13. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I really expected these results from Sengun, Tari, Jabari and KPJ.

Usman has definitely surprised me the most and I'm absolutely thrilled with what I see from him.

Green I'm disappointed with his finishing at the rim.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I more impressed with Nix. Because he pisses Clutchfans off.

shakes05 likes this.
  16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

17. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Lol Nix is turrible in Charles Barkley voice

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Salvy

Salvy Member

Silas is improving his tanking ability, he keeps lowering his number of wins every year.... Very impressive, if we land the #1 pick this year look for rebuilding teams to try and steal him from us....

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

My thoughts on our guys through 10

Sengun - Playing over the summer in Europe has done him a world of good, it has really helped with his progress and confidence. He can be careless with the ball, so he needs to make better decisions with his passing sometimes. His defence isn't the best, but he has nobody next to him to cover his defense right now. Offense looks more fluid when he has touched the ball.

Smith Jr - I expected a little more from him regarding iq. So far I think he jacks up too many 3's and when he does take the open three he is too slow shooting and ends up bricking it. I would like to see him shoot his threes more from the corner aswell. He needs to get to basics look for closer shots, move and cut more to find easier buckets. He has to understand his limitations on offense right now. His defense is what I would expect it to be, he has had flashes of good plays and flashes of dud plays.

KPJ - From what I see this year I think to be honest I think this guy is a 6th man, he has all the tools to be the huge spark off the bench like Gordon use to do, Jordan Clarkson, Lou Williams. He just doesn't pass enough or set up his teammates enough for him to be a starting point guard. Lots of iso and dribbling. I think he has been solid on defense considering what he has next him.

Jalen Green - This guy is still a second year player. He is still a raw talent. On offense I think he is getting blocked too much, perhaps he is telegraphing what he is doing too much. I have noticed that when he is not getting foul calls he becomes hesitant and disheartened by no calls. He just has to keep going in there, he will eventually get those calls. He has to work on his shot more to become a more consistent shooter. His defense has been better than I thought it would be, but it isn't that great.

Gordon - There is not much to say about him. He is playing with a bunch of kids. So I don't have an expectation of him on the court. It is more off the court, being a mentor, teaching these young guys the ins and outs of the nba life.

KJM - I think he is more suited to a bench role. Him, Eason and Garuba are good spark plug players, they hustle and have often brought deficits down. I'd like him to choose more wisely when to shoot 3's and try to do them more from the corner.

Eason - He has been a good pickup I like his hustle and attitude on the court. I'd like to see more minutes out of him, atleast 24-30mins

Garuba - He just wants that ball. He reminds me of Chuck Hayes. I am impressed with how he has been doing. He has been thrown into this role and taken the opportunity.

Matthews - He has regressed, I don't see the same guy as last year.

Nix - Absolute trash. One of the laziest players I have ever seen. There are soo many times that he has made a careless turnover killing the momentum of the team. I would rather he does not play. He doesn't add anything positive to the team.

Team overall - The team sorely needs some offensive leadership coming from either a coach or a pass first point guard. Too many times there are broken plays where the best shot the rockets can get is an iso ball 3pt shot. Perhaps this is all part of the tank job, but I believe in positive development. Start these kids off in the right way. Give them the chance to have structure from early on. It's a team game, let these kids understand that when that ball moves around and everyone touches it good things will happen, rather than 1 guy dribbling iso ball chuck a three. Regarding defense, name me a team this young that plays good defense.

I think if the rockets are tanking. I want to see a starting lineup of Sengun, Smith jr, Eason, Green and KPJ. Give them a lot of minutes and let them learn to play as a team with the emphasis on team. Thats probably our future core for the considerable future.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

If Sengun had a 7’3 or 7’4 wingspan he would be the franchise.

nolimitnp likes this.