1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 Dead in Oregon Community College Shooting...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 1, 2015.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

those types threads are made like 20 times daily, it's more like a meme at this point.

2. Cranberry_Juice

Why don't you substitute 10 of those people with your family members. Then have two killed with a butter knife. Can you die happy knowing that at least it wasn't 10 bc guns are banned?

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Exactly this. No one takes them seriously

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Delete

#64 Haymitch, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  5. TheresTheDagger

It would absolutely have an impact. But talking about "getting rid of guns" is a long way from what is ACTUALLY gonna happen. Pragmatically until the 2nd amendment is repealed (and that's realistically not gonna happen) guns are not going to be gotten rid of. And even if it somehow WAS a possibility the guns are out there...some 300 million of them. The genie is out of the bottle. If you're talking about large magazine guns/ownership I am open minded and would definitely say lets give it a chance. But I'm afraid that won't be enough.

And...again. We have a history of gun ownership that goes back 200+ years without this kind of mass shooting epidemic. The guns have always been there. That hasn't changed. I'm asking...what has? Maybe we could work on the other factors related to this whether its Mental Health awareness, internet shaming, parental involvement, bullying, etc.

That's all I'm saying.

(Thanks for the rational discourse on a really bad day.) :(

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's wierd that one person senselessly shooting 8 people to death is a national tragedy, while 30 people being shot to death every day, 365 days a year doesn't register.

I appreciate that there are qualitative differences that push peoples buttons, but it goes back to the gap in perceived vs actual dangers of airplane crashes vs car crashes. People lose their **** when flying in planes, but cars are a much greater danger to life.

Not trying to make a larger point or advance an agenda. I'm just fascinated by the gap.

#66 Ottomaton, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's about the dramatic. Far more people die in car crashes than in plane crashes every year, yet plane crashes get more attention.

Factors that impact which news stories get attention go beyond just raw number of people dead or injured.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm watching a live feed and they mentioned that a witness reported that the shooter asked victims to stand up one by one and state their religion before shooting them.

http://koin.com/video/livestream/

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can someone move this horror story (#7,348) to D&D? Honestly, and I mean no political point by this AT ALL, but we should just have a mass shooting thread stickied there.

Keep hot-for-teacher, music, movie type threads open in Hangout. That would make more sense to me, as I understand the forums.

1 person likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This logic blows my mind. A single mass shooting that kills a few people and the anti-gun goes wild, calling for asinine solutions such a banning guns to prevent further mass shootings. A week later, all is forgotten.

Meanwhile, dozens die daily from gunshots, many which can be prevented with better control, education and restrictions.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, it's a two-fold issue, I think: media + perceived innocence.

Lots of the one-off shootings are suicides, so (sadly) there is less sympathy there. Or, maybe it was crime related. Or, maybe it was within a dysfunctional family. I think Americans (myself included, when I'm not careful) have some implicit judgement in some of those cases. "Well, yeah, that can happen if you're selling crack at 4 a.m."; or, "yeah, that can happen if you hang out with a jethro with a long rap sheet." I hate to admit that.

But then, just a bunch of students in a classroom -- the randomness of it is part of the fascination I guess. Everyone can say, I was sitting bored in a classroom once. Or I was sitting in a movie theater watching batman. Etc. It's more visceral and directly scary, as an emotion instead of a logical thought.

But I totally agree with the overarching point.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Killed More people than the Boston Marathon Bombing.

This guys fits the definition of TERRORIST to me.
    Esp since I am seeing things saying he targeting certain people

Tamir Rice is gunned down in 12 second for playing with a toy
    but this guy . . . . ..

Rocket River

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, I've walked away from multiple wrecks without a scratch on me or the other driver, but almost everyone always dies in a plane crash. Same reason we'll never have flying cars, if we had that many people in the air there'd be multiple fatalities in every town every day.

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

People that witnessed this are saying the shooter was asking victims what their religion was ,doesn't really seem to fit the weird guy from the youtube .

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TERRORIST

Rocket River

16. nono

nono Member

His name was Eggman. Major incel due to recessed maxilla.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What was his logic for shooting Christians?

Was he a recent Islam convert?

1 person likes this.
  18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Were the columbine shooters?

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

not to my knowledge

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gun free zone with only one guard who was unarmed....they certainly made themselves an easy target.