1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

‘Young Turks’ host Cenk Uygur announces primary bid against Biden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

y’all give it up for the latest attention ho

“The Young Turks” founder Cenk Uygur announced on his show Wednesday that he will run for president as a Democrat, directly challenging President Biden.

“[Biden] is not going to win,” Uygur said during the announcement. “It should not have been me, it should have been somebody else, but unfortunately it was not anyone else. There’s only four months left. We must change course. He has at best a 10 percent chance of winning. I’m running as a proxy. I am running to win. But I am also running as a proxy for any other candidate.”

The progressive media host has called for Biden to drop out of the race, stating repeatedly that democracy is on the line, referring to former President Trump’s 2024 run.

“We have got to get Biden out of the race,” Uygur said. “Thank you for winning in 2020. But if he loses this time around, it’s not just his problem, it’s all of our problems. I actually think democracy is on the line, and so if it takes me running, that’s what I’m gonna do.

Uygur has a big obstacle to overcome in his run for the White House.

Born in Istanbul, Turkey, Uygur immigrated to the U.S. at 8 years old. He believes that the Constitution’s “Natural Born Citizen” clause will not prevent him in his effort, believing that he can win the battle in the Supreme Court.

“I have lawyered up,” Uygur said. “I have the same lawyer [Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)] used in both of his presidential runs. And my guess is I’m going to have some strong allies in this. Arnold Schwarzenegger. I’m going to the Supreme Court. Either I’m going to win or I’m going to lose. Now this case is on our side. The precedent is definitely on our side. So, what are you going to do, brother?“

In his last congressional run in California’s 25th District, Uygur came up with 6.6 percent of the vote and finished fourth in the field of 12 candidates.

Uygur, a former MSNBC commentator, joins book author Marianne Williamson as the only other candidate challenging Biden in the Democratic primary. Environmental lawyer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced Monday that he is switching his campaign to an independent run.

“Marianne Williamson has been in there but unfortunately, she hasn’t broken through,” Uygur said. “I have nothing but respect for her courage and her policies, but at this point, we’re not at progressives versus establishment. We’re at four months left, and things must change. Otherwise, we’re almost definitely going to lose to Trump.”

The announcement was first reported by Semafor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...ygur-announces-primary-bid-against-biden/amp/

mdrowe00 and ROCKSS like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He did an interview a couple weeks ago where he basically announced this. Hosts were taken by surprise, thinking he was joking at first.

I honestly haven't watched more than 15 minutes of TYT total in my life, so I have no opinion on the guy. But I wish him well

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Delusional.

FrontRunner, astros123 and Andre0087 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What a clown.

mdrowe00 and astros123 like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I want Joe Rogan instead.

mdrowe00, ROCKSS and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I never been elected to any public office.

I have no idea how government actually works.

I do not have a political pod cast.

But I do have the best political opinions!

Naturally I should run for some office.

Go Big or Go Home. @No Worries for Emperor of the United Federation of Planets!!!

[​IMG]

What could go wrong?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does he have a book to sell?

New line of steak knives or udemy courses?

I already smashed that like and subscribed.

Nook, mdrowe00, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck on winning the "natural born" argument. Somehow I get the feeling it won't even get close enough for this to be an issue.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The first. Yes. And he's been working it pretty hard. "That earthquake in Wherever reminds me of, oh, I don't know, the book I just released...."

mdrowe00 and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol.

B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The state of the Democratic Party…

and the sad part is he’d do better than sleepy joe

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This move makes no cenks.

Kim, B-Bob, ThatBoyNick and 1 other person like this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Which is probably what he's banking on. TYT have a following, and have done a decent job thus far of getting carried on streaming services to expand their reach which is great. Progressive media outlets are very much needed, and happy that they do what they do, and hope he's able to do it even more.

However as it pertains to the presidency, it looks like he's really just looking for exposure, and being opportunistic.

He's also very much off on Biden only having a 10% chance of winning. I'd say it's closer to 65% but the 35% chance that Trump wins should scare the living bejesus out of anyone who cares about Democracy.

mdrowe00 and FrontRunner like this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed Biden has a slightly better than 50% chance against Trump. Against Haley or De Santis Biden is definitely beatable due to desire of the public to have a less feasible president.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You mean less feeble? Sure I guess, but I don't think people really care much about age honestly, and it's just about wanting something new, and different since as a society we are just wired that way.

I also think most Americans love socially to portray themselves as independent, free thinkers, who are versatile, and will just make good decisions all the time about everything.... which sounds great until it comes to politics here in America. How many times have you heard someone say "I'm socially liberal, but fiscally conservative." That's a great line, but practically it makes no sense given where the right is in its policies.

So yeah, I think Nikki Haley especially would beat Biden pretty handily in 2024 because of the mix of wanting something new, and the ability for those independents, and liberals who want to be socially versatile to be able to say that they are leftist shills for the Dems. Look at me I voted for Biden in 2020 because Trump was evil, but then I voted for Haley because the Democrats need to be held in check economically, etc. etc. I can already hear it now.

Ultimately though a vote for Haley is going to have alot of the same negative impacts on policy as voting for Trump would have. However the one difference is it would likely not mean an end to Democracy, and the left and center of America would live to fight another day at the ballot box. If Trump wins in 2024, every branch of government will get broken by him in an effort to stay in power so he never has to face accountability, and every single Republican left will do everything they can to help him out of fear, and wanting to ensure they are left with something personal to show for their loyalty.

Kim and mdrowe00 like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Although if Uygur wins the "Natural Born Argument" that might finally end Birtherism..

18. astros123

astros123 Member

Hahahahahhaah the house of representatives can't even choose a speaker between the party. The GOP is a **** show ran by a dude charges with 93 felony and guilty of sexual assault.

What are you people smoking

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Cenk and TYT's transformation over the last 20 years has been pretty amazing.

And by amazing, I mean horrendously awful.

But yeah. This goober couldn't even get on the podium in a House race in California. How the **** does he think he's going to put together a credible presidency run in a couple of months? Clown shoes.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yep feeble.
    Except for the personal craziness and sociopathy, Haley would be a typical Republican so it would be GOP's typical tax cuts for the rich with a lot of talk about trans, "wokeness" hoards of "bad hombres" etc to lather up the base.