1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

‘***** you f*ggot:’ Texas oil exec stops his car to punch a gay pedestrian unconscious

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 18, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

A Texas oil executive swore at a gay couple he passed in his vehicle, stopped his car in a lane of traffic, got out, and proceeded to knock a man unconscious, the Dallas Voice reports.

Anthony Fera, the president of Houston’s MidStar Energy LP, has been charged with assault.

In April, Andy Smith and Paul von Wupperfeld, who are married, were walking in Austin when, the couple says, Fera drove by and almost mowed them over.

“I hollered out, ‘you nearly hit us.'” Smith writes in his statement to police. Fera reportedly replied, ‘**** you f*****.’” Smith and Fera exchanged a few more words before Fera exited his car, punched Smith in the head, ran back, and resumed driving.

Von Wupperfeld writes in his own statement that Smith’s face following the attack “was swollen and bloody from where he had been punched, with cuts on his nose, right cheek, and chin. He was unconscious for around 30-45 seconds. When he came around he was groggy and disoriented.”

Smith suffered “a fractured nose, a black eye, lacerations, scrapes, and a shoulder injury,” according to the Gay Star News. Fera was arrested earlier this month; his bail was $5,000.

Smith is the executive director of the Texas Instruments Foundation.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/fck...is-car-to-punch-a-gay-pedestrian-unconscious/

---------------------------

I wonder if the attacker and/or the victim are on Clutchfans?

2. Major

Major Member

Unrelated to the specifics of the story, I always wonder about timing with things like this. The incident happened in April. Why was he arrested in June? It doesn't seem like there's a lot of 'investigating' that can be done. There either are witnesses/security footage or not. I'm not sure how you could find evidence of it a month or two later and I don't see why it would take 1-2 months to decide whether to charge him.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

at first i thought of jorge, but i doubt he ever made president of any company :p

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Their Houston office is close to my house.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story, it sounds like a pretty straight-forward road rage incident. People get crazy behind the wheel.

6. yo

yo Contributing Member

Yup, just road rage. Because the part about the homophobic slurs before knocking him out is completely irrelevant.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They could be. People yell all sorts of crazy things in a fit of rage. I guess you think that the only people that ever get called that specific slur are homosexuals.....well, let me be the first to tell you that's not the case.

Was the guy a homophobe (which is a stupid term btw)? Who knows? Maybe, maybe not.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So he should end up being fired. Making bank and doing dumb crap like this. SMH.

9. Major

Major Member

Not sure he's making bank. Take a look at their website:

http://www.midstarenergy.com

It's basically something an intern designs - even has GoDaddy's "powered by Website builder" at the bottom. I don't live in Houston and don't know anything about them, but it doesn't seem like a big successful company.

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

In DALLAS, why the hell am I not surprised?????

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Maybe it's time to get rid of the confederate flag thinking and look at it for what it really is.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If one or both of these people involved in the altercation had weapons this whole unfortunate incident could have been avoided.

13. yo

yo Contributing Member

You convince yourself of such horse*****.

14. Major

Major Member

Happened in Austin. Man is from Houston. No connections to Dallas.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in your mind you think he saw a gay couple, that he immediately recognized as a gay couple.....in Austin, and decided to jump out of his vehicle to beat them up because he hates gay people?

Yeah, that's totally believable.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Bobby is technically right. Fera didn't exactly go out of his way to target homosexuals. It does sound like a road-rage incident that happened to have homosexual victims.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Energy companies are weird in that some of the less integrated can afford to do without massive or tailored web presences. The right mix of assets serves some fairly captive commercial customers for long time frames, which allows for limited staffing and recruiting and no retail marketing of any kind.

18. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

My fault; Thanks for the info Major! I saw "Dallas Voice" so I definitely missed that part in Austin. Thanks again!

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

just read the OP. what makes you thinks he knew the other person was gay? not that that justifies the act or anything. The way that article is written seems really biased and with a narrative in mind. The culprit seems like a total d-bag just saying so does the author of the article.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe because the victim was walking with his partner during the incident and he used a gay slur.

Of course, maybe he commits the assault even if the person isn't gay. Who knows.