1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the # 1, the Rockets pick:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, May 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

And why is that?

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He is not doing anymore workouts.

3. Swami

Swami Member

He was a bust when compared to Olajuwon and Ewing who were the #1 draft picks picked in the two years following him. Both of them took their teams to the finals and had very long and productive careers in the paint. Ralph was too skinny to take the pounding in the pivot with the big boys. His body didn't hold up to it, and I have the same concerns about Yao. Perhaps I overstated it saying he was a bust because he did have alot of talent in his SHORTENED CAREER.

4. myronm

myronm Contributing Member

After the following trade the Rockets end up with Francis, Mobley, Odom, Griffin, and Olowokandi as starters with Norris, Piatkowski, Taylor, Thomas, (#8 - Borchardt), Collier, Morris on the bench.

The Clippers get to unload Odom and avoid the contract issues with Kandi. Get two centers, Cato and Ming with the first pick. Rice's contract ends in two years and the Clippers still get the 12th and the 15th picks in this years draft. Sterling saves money for a few more years.

Houston trades: Pick 1, 15
    SF Glen Rice (8.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 30.3 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)

Houston receives:
    Pick 8
    C Michael Olowokandi(11.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 32.1 minutes)
    SG Eric Piatkowski (8.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 24.2 minutes)
    SF Lamar Odom (13.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 5.9 apg in 34.5 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +17.8 ppg, +8.2 rpg, and +6.6 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades:
    Pick 8
    C Michael Olowokandi(11.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 1.1 apg in 32.1 minutes)
    SG Eric Piatkowski (8.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 24.2 minutes)
    SF Lamar Odom (13.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 5.9 apg in 34.5 minutes)

L.A. Clippers receives:
    Pick 1, 15
    SF Glen Rice (8.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 20 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 75 games)

Change in team outlook: -17.8 ppg, -8.2 rpg, and -6.6 apg.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

That doesn't make him a bust. Hakeem and Pat didn't do it until they were in their primes. Ralph actually did lead us to the finals. His only problem was he was fragile. He wasn't a bust though. He was good/great when healthy. Harold minor, now he was a bust. Sam Bowie, he was a bust.

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'm not so sure Phoenix would send their pick as well as their franchise player for a number 1 pick

no 1 pick for Marion

I'd do it

7. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It must be a bunch of yougsters on this board to say Sampson was a bust. Sampson was a all star performer until he messed up his knee and developed arthritis in his knees. Of cousre there a lot of centers that can be called busts when comparing them to Dream and ewing. If Ming is as good as Brad Daughtery, this will be a very good team for a long,long time. I guess people will call him a bust, but he was 20-10 and a very good center until his back went out. These are probably the same youngsters that voted francis over Hakeem.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

We're sitting here with the #1 pick in the NBA draft and I can't even begin to understand why some people think this team should pursue Lamar Odom. Not only does he add nothing to the Rockets, but we're talking about a guy here who's team played better without him last year. This Rockets team sorely needs an interior presense, defensive help, and shooting. All Odom brings is a fat pipe. Stop the grand visions of Odom running this team from the point forward position. He's not Magic Johnson.

As for the pick, they know damn well they had better not screw this one up. Yao Ming is a very intriguing prospect provided they are successfully able to cross the red tape surrounding the situation. One thing I would definitely <b>not</b> do is draft two rookies. This team needs help immediately and cannot take two gambles. However, many other avenues will present themselves over the following weeks. With the impending breakup of the Blazers, would you trade the #1 pick for Rasheed Wallace? Can the Spurs be convinced that Duncan is leaving and persuaded into taking Mobley, Taylor, Thomas, the #1 and the #15?

It will be an interesting few weeks.

10. Greg M

Greg M Member

A Cabbage sighting. Wow. I agree with you about Odom but I don't see why they can't go with two rookies. Sure everybody wants to win now but at what cost of the future? The team has a chance to get a stud center and a great young SF in one of the Euros. I can take a mediocre season with the possiblity of being an elite team for many many years. There just aren't a ton of SFs in the league and the ones available aren't too great. Take Yao and grab Tsiki or Nachbar, unless Duncan can be had.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Word. You tell them, cabbage! I completely agree although I would love to have Caron Butler somehow with Ming but don't know if that would be possible.

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I normally agree with you Cabby but that is too much for any one man. I cannot say our team after acquiring Duncan in that scenario would bring us a ring. Kobe and Shaq is still better than Franchise and Duncan. I would do a deal but not involving the big 3.

13. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Send out a memo to at Rockets Except
    Francis and griffin That will state the below statement.
    Everybody Is Expendable!!!!!

My Proposed trade it this3 -way deal with the wolves and the knicks would go down like this.

Knicks get
    Number 1 pick=Ming and Mo Taylor. Don't the Knicks owe us future consideration from the G. Rice Deal? That needs to be explored!

Wolves get Spree and Camby and our second round pick

Rocket get KG and the Knicks #7= Qyntel Woods

Rockets roster would look like this

PG-Francis/Mooch/Brown-IR
    SG- Cat/ R.Davis/ Torres-IR get R. Davis FA
    SF- G. Rice/ Q. Woods/ T. Mo
    PF- KG/ KT/ EG
    C- Cato/ C.Marcus 15th pick.

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

It's a no doubter. the rockets should take ming. You take Ming, and just deal with the politcal obstacles that come with it. It is a chance worth taking. Botton line is that you CANNOT pass up a 7-5 big man, even if the political aspect creates problems.

well, we need size. and someone to contain SHAQ for the next five years. Actually SHAQ would destroy ming in the first few seasons, but Ming's body will develop and hopefully affect SHAQ somewhat.

By the way, if the Rockets draft Ming and he turns out to be like Stick, hopefully we will play the Lakers in the west finals in 3-4 years. With Griffin and Ming, could this be 1986 all over again? It all depends on how well Griffin and Ming do in developing an inside game.

15. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Tomorrow I'm investing a bunch of money in that company that makes those fat noisey tail pipes.

16. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

We take Ming.
    We severely need a big man, especially when the league has so FEW........it's a rare species. :(

And all these proposed trades..........other than the Clippers' Odom situation, why would anyone with a Duncan or Garnett like player trade for Ming?
    An no disrespect to Odom, but why is there such a big push to get him..........as if the league is short on perimeter talent. :rolleyes:

17. Houkom

Houkom Member

Something I really fear is that however good Ming learning curve is, he will probably be an established nba player just when his free agency comes around. This means in 3 or 4 years! This hardly match with the wins the rockets want now.

When you know that NY and Chicago, both very powerful management, are hot on his trails, and that his is pushed by Chinese govt to play there, losing him in three years is a real possibility.

Second, After hearing Francis comments on what he wished for.
    I don't think Ming is the player he is looking for. Granted Ming is not (yet :) ) a PG, howeve he is definitively not proven commodity and won't be till after the draft without the workouts.

Moreover, Francis is the Star on this team, Mobley is the second.
    If Ming proves all the hype, he'll be the first. I doubt this means heaven for Steve...

My feel is that it would be better for the Rockets to trade down and acquire "the" missing pieces.
    The best deal here would be to play Chicago against Golden State for a deal: either trade 1 and third string player for 2 and a chicago frontline player(and/or other), or 1 for 3 and GSW center with GSW.
    With the 2 or 3 pick take the best SF in the draft...

Unless, all the question marks above are answered positively. Then Ming would take us to medium playoff level.

Because, afterall, the odds are high that Ming is actually just a better Wang Zhi-zhi. This player would need a lot of development.

#57 Houkom, May 20, 2002
    Last edited: May 20, 2002
  18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Now, that is funny.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Who was the last 7'3+ center that didn't have foot problems?

It's a simple question.

Oh, and my reply to thecabbage's OPINION of Odom:

From Clutch himself:

"Spoke to Doc Rocket, and apparently Lamar Odom isn't just wishful thinking. Well, OK, it still is, but not just fan dreaming -- the Rockets share that thinking. I think there are some who envision Lamar running a good chunk of the show from a playmaking standpoint, and freeing Francis up for some shooting guard."

You may not like him, but we know what he can do. YOU know what he can do. Odom can't be a Point Forward? How could you say that?

Kandi is not an interior presence? he can't bang bodies with the best of them? Didn't you see him last year? He's got a VERY good body for an NBA Center, and was the Clippers go top guy in the post, over BRAND, last season.

Ming is not sure fire. Injuries, Chinese Gov't. , learning curve, language barrier.

If we can get Ming and Butler while getting rid of a big contract and both picks, then fine. But we can't. I really like Butler being our 6th man, backing up the 2 and 3. But is it possible?

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Any trade conversation with the Clips must begin with Brand. Brand would hopefully give the Rocks the interior presense, defensive help and low post offense, that they have been desparately missing.
    I am not opposed to drafting two rookies. Next year, the Rocks should be playoff bound given a healthy Rice and MoTay, even if the bench has two new faces who do not see much playing time.

The Rocks should either draft Yoa or they should get a similar low post, franchise player in return for the pick. Such a trade would allow the Rocks to be better now than later. The short list of players I think the Rocks should be interested in are Brand, KG, and Duncan. Duncan is the most untouchable of the three, but the Spurs may not be sure they can resign him. Same thing can be said for Brand.

I am not too high on getting Wallace. His baggage has mighty big handles. Besides, we already have a high potential, undersized 4 in EG.