1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you upgrade?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobmarley, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Besides the obvious areas of concern such as WR and CB, what areas of the this team do you want to see improved for next years run to the Super Bowl.

I included our injured reserve and practice squad and filled in areas with people who would be playing if healthy and these are my thoughts...

On offense... Must have WRs this includes for kick return duties as well. I expect Jacoby to be gone. I like Lestar Jean and expect him to have a good year next year. But could really use 1 or 2 WRs who can either stretch defense or run great routs.

On defense... CB! we could use a veteran CB to be a #2. I really hope one of the young CB's we drafted recently turns out. Also I would like to have one more motor on the DLine maybe a mid round draft pick .

WR, CB, DL... Let's go Rick Smith!

Practice Squad
    Barbieri, Howard G
    Harris, Ra'Shon DT
    Holliday, Trindon KR
    Smith, Derrell LB
    Wallace, Cody C
    Williams, Javarris RB
    Williams, Torri DB

Injured Reserve
    Barber, Dominique FS
    Butler, Rashad T
    Carmichael, Roc CB
    Hartmann, Brett P
    Jean, Lestar WR
    Leinart, Matt QB
    Morris, Darius G
    Schaub, Matt QB
    Sharpton, Darryl ILB
    Smith, Shelley G
    Studdard, Kasey G
    Williams, Mario OLB

POS First Second Third
    WR1 Andre Johnson Jacoby Jones Bryant Johnson
    LT Duane Brown Derek Newton (Rashad Butler)
    LG Wade Smith Thomas Austin (Casey Studdard)
    C Chris Myers Mike Brisiel
    RG Mike Brisiel Antoine Caldwell
    RT Eric Winston Andrew Gardner (Rashad Butler)
    TE Owen Daniels Joel Dreessen Garrett Graham
    WR2 Kevin Walter Jeff Maehl (Lestar Jean)
    QB T.J Yates Jake Delhomme Jeff Garcia (Matt Shaub)
    RB Arian Foster Ben Tate Derrick Ward
    FB James Casey Lawrence Vickers

POS First Second Third
    DE J.J. Watt Tim Bulman
    DT Shaun Cody Earl Mitchell
    DE Antonio Smith Tim Jamison
    SLB Brooks Reed Jesse Nading (Mario Williams)
    ILB Brian Cushing Tim Dobbins
    ILB DeMeco Ryans Mister Alexander (Darryl Sharpton)
    WLB Connor Barwin Bryan Braman (Mario Williams)
    LCB Kareem Jackson Jason Allen Brandon Harris (Roc Carmichael)
    RCB Johnathan Joseph Brice McCain Sherrick McManis
    SS Glover Quin Shiloh Keo (Dominique Barber)
    FS Danieal Manning Troy Nolan Quintin Demps

POS First Second Third Other
    PK Neil Rackers
    P Matt Turk
    LS Jonathan Weeks Joel Dreessen James Casey
    KR Sherrick McManis Quintin Demps Shiloh Keo
    PR Jacoby Jones Bryant Johnson Quintin Demps Shiloh Keo
    H Brett Hartmann

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

In this order:
    WR2
    NT
    CB2
    K
    Backup Tackle
    Backup SS

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Do you want to replace Cody at starter? Do you think he had a bad year?

4. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

WR2
    K
    CB
    OL backup

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really care about order. I know there is pressure to take a WR in the first but it shouldn't be forced if they like someone who will last to the 2nd or 3rd.

in no order.

WR - push for the # spot.
    backup OL - development
    LB - depth
    Safety/CB - depth/special teams
    TE - habit.
    DT - depth/different skill set from Cody and Mitchel.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

in no order:

assuming Andre Johnson is WR1 and Kevin Walter is WR3

WR2 (to replace Jacoby Jones)
    WR4 (to replace Bryant Johnson)
    OG backup (to replace Caldwell)
    NT backup
    ILB backup
    RB3

For the draft:

1. WR
    2. NT/ILB
    3. WR
    4. NT/ILB
    5. OG

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I think Cody (and Earl Mitchell) far exceeded my expectations, but the Texans' weakness was up-the-middle all year, despite two stud inside LBs. If you want to get better, you improve that.

8. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Basically they need to get more dynamic on offense and special teams, but they cannot rest on their laurels in other areas.

Upgraded receiving corps: a #2 WR, returner, and if too good to pass a tight end.

Depth on both interior lines: better backup or new starting guard, backup center, a bigger nose tackle for depth and short yardage/run situations, a new 5 technique defensive end if available

Kicker: Whether they bring back Rackers to compete with a younger guy, or draft a big leg kicker.

Another pass rusher: could mean Mario returns if not look to the draft

Continue upgrading the secondary: I don't really have a problem with Kareem and expect him to get better but having another option would not be bad. I think they will let Allen go. One interesting possibility is the Texans getting the chance to take Mark Barron and moving Glover back to corner. A move like that could make the secondary that much better as it would potentially upgrade three spots - S, #2 CB, and nickel CB

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

This sums it up. I'm still hoping Brandon Harris has a chance to become an option for us next year. If so, then 1 more CB in the draft would give us great depth at the spot. Much needed for those Saints, Pats, etc. matchups.

I can't see Mario coming back. Someone will throw money at him, but hopefully they can sell him on being a part of this team as we make a run at the Super Bowl. Otherwise another OLB is a must in the draft.

10. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Harris to me was a big surprise. Multiple scouts and even Wade Phillips said he was going to be special. Unless they took him and let him learn and they wanna surprise everyone this year I am shocked he wasnt good enough not to beat out Mccain or Allen. I remember Kiper saying he was stunned Harris slipped to late 2nd round. However I hope it was just they didnt want a rookie learning on the job like KJack did in 2010.

I want a better MLB off the bench. I dont think Sharpton is good enough. And I think Winston was the weak link in the Oline for us.Caldwell i think is alot better than he has shown. Oline is the only position that requires continuous starts to excel.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

WR and CB are the biggest needs of this team and it cant be more obvious.

12. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

I've heard of people talking about Brice McCain's work ethic last off-season and then KJax is a first round pick that whether we all have to say improved somewhat (only got picked on some of the time instead of all of the time). Plus Jason Allen had a competitive camp with him. Also lastly it was always made of mention that the secondary played hard every game in the year before just had one blunder after another. Our cornerbacks are going to be a tough group to break so Brandon Harris may be good and have some raw talent he may just have to become even more sound in order to get a shot in our secondary.

Lastly as far as team needs I think it's too early to start talking about this aspect. We have to see what the team does in free agency first. Based on who they resign / didn't resign we can get a better gauge as to what our team needs would be. So aside from WR#2 and WR/PR to replace there's nothing else that can stick out to me as obvious needs for upgrade.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A #2 wr, #2 cb, #3 wr that can also return kicks(pat Edwards)

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

#4 is just not good enough, plenty of room for improvement! get'er done Bob.

The NFL’s 10 Best Cheerleading Squads 2012

4. Houston Texans

The Houston Texans were one of the top teams in the league this year, and the same can be said for its cheerleaders. On the cheer team’s website is a convenient scrollable list of its cheerleaders, allowing fans to familiarize themselves with members of the squad. We awarded extra points for the relatively long videos on the team’s site — there's a six-minute piece on the cheerleaders getting ready for a game — as well as being the only NFL cheerleading squad to feature two sets of twins.

The cheer team also held the fifth annual “Bulls and Birdies” charity golf tournament in late 2011 to raise money for the Houston Texans Foundation. At the event, a cheerleader photo was displayed near the tee for each hole at the course, and cheerleaders were on hand to sign autographs and take photos with fans. According to the Texans, the tournament sold out this year, even with a $3,500 entry fee.

[​IMG]

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The problem for Harris is McCain outplayed him to earn time over him, and the little time Harris had he didn't impress. McCain wasn't expected to outshine Harris but he did. Had some nice picks too in his nickle DB role

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

WR2/KR
    CB2
    OL Depth

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I really don't trust the team to get a CB in the draft. And it seems like no matter how much talent Kubiak can find anywhere at the QB, FB, OLine, RB, TE.........he cannot find a WR to save his life.

So basically I think we should draft two white defensive guys in the first two rounds then let Kubiak take over from there.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would show more cleavage from the cheerleaders. Skankier uniforms.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I have never seen an ounce of cleavage from the Texans cheerleaders. It is really aggravating, like Disney owns the team or something.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

THANK YOU.

Seriously, the go-go boots are great. The Daisy Duke short shorts are great. Why do the tops have to go all the way up to the neck?