1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme court strikes down strict Texas abortion law aimed at closing clinics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Jun 27, 2016.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/jun/27/us-supreme-court-texas-abortion-ruling

1 person likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure how I feel about abortion. From a moral value I think it's awful for a human to have the choice to abort a fetus to simply erase a "mistake". On the other hand, it sucks to bring a baby into a situation where they might not be wanted at all, or a situation where teenage parents are simply not prepared to care for the baby and they have no family support. That eventually can become a strain on our welfare system and quite frankly it sucks that a kid can come into a ****ty situation.

I'm for abortion in cases of rape, it's not fair to a woman for the government to make her have a baby that was conceived from an awful situation. Also I am for it if it threatens the life of a mother.

I don't know tough situation all around. There is just more to it than, you are killing a human life (which is dependent on when you believe life begins).

1 person likes this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

By the way forgot to say that I am glad the supreme court struck this law down. I definitely think Texas lawmakers were overstepping their bounds.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This was a clear case of government getting into people live solely for the purpose of reducing abortion under the excuses of much BS. It has nothing to do with safety, best practices or anything helpful to women. Glad the SC struck it down.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I pretty much have the same outlook as ElPigto. The whole idea of it makes me feel uneasy, but I view it as a necessary evil (for lack of a better term).

Overall it almost certainly helps society to not have a larger number of unwanted children in the world...just saying that makes me feel a little depressed. :(

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wendy Davis won.

#6 REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just in time for the Zika-Microcephaly epidemic that Texas & the federal government are in no way prepare for.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Dang post editing, had a Wendy Schumer and Clive Grant joke right in the holster.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

... so to speak.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Fixed

The constitution has zero to say about abortion, yet five justices presume to claim there is an inalienable right to murder the unborn, overturning the will of the people of Texas

May God have mercy on their souls.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Your Gods have forsaken you.

I am your God now.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Making it harder to access contraception is a great start.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The justices don't even try to explain why the constitution forbids regulation of abortion, but regulation of other rights is ok

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Okay...but which God though?

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can someone drive by bigotexx's house and do a welfare check? After losing on affirmative action and abortion in the same week he might be having some thoughts of hurting himself.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you were against over-regulation? You realize that is what this was about? Applying unnecessary regulations on abortion clinics.

Funny how conservatives only rail against regulations when it concerns causes they don't like.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This doesn't really seem like a question on the morality of abortion. That debate is relevant if you are looking to overturn roe vs wade. This is an issue of a state creating new regulations that officially aim to fix a problem that actually doesn't really exist in order to circumvent federal law by effectively ending abortions for many texas residents. It's similar to the voting rights issues in Texas and the voter ID laws which have been ruled unconstitutional twice and are now being heard again, this time the entire 5th district court. Assuming they follow the trend then the voting ID law issue will head to the supreme court and (in my opinion) suffer the same fate as these abortion regulations.

One of my favorite Onion photo captions:

"New Anti-Abortion Legislation Requires Doctors To Scale 18-Foot Wall Surrounding Clinic"
    [​IMG]

#17 Brando2101, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Hypocrite.

I won't say much else other than I'm embarrassed for the type of crap our state tries to push through. Its like most of their answers end with "because God."

19. Major

Major Member

They don't explain that because that's not what they claim. They've allowed numerous regulation of abortions to remain valid.

If you make up strawmen, you're going to be regularly disappointed when the Supreme Court doesn't address them.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This ruling isn't about legalizing abortion. Roe v Wade established that in a 7-2 vote using arguments extending privacy rights guaranteed by the 14th Amendment...basically saying States cannot legislate a woman's body.

So, if you want to gripe, gripe at the 7-2 vote. This 5-3 vote was about overturning another State law used a loophole.