1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2019.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Is the solo movie any good?

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I honestly don't give a **** about casting, I just want a good story... I feel the bar was set too high from a movie standpoint and 1-3 7-8 are just thrown together. Like if you remove Star Wars from the name on those, they're probably not getting near the money, these are basically mail it in cash grabs.

At least with 4-5 they were very good , and parts of 6 were good... Either the bar was set too high/nostalgia is a b**** etc but knowing the trash they made with 1-3 7,8 - it'd almost be better if they just left it as it was 4-6 - the end. But sequels are easy money, especially with star wars attached to the name.

Like if I was just looking at sfx/sound etc then sure the new movies did a good job, but story/characters were cooler in original.

I mean Lando/Billy Dee was able to get money from his Colt 45 promos, now that would have been cool, ****ing over the Empire and then tossing back some cold Colt 45s in the Millennium Falcon and saying something like - "Colt 45, it works every time" and then running off with Leia in rotj - after Han like says some iconic line and pisses Leia off etc etc .

So.. yeah, the new cast/characters are just boring, - outside of Rogue One I mean, at least those were some cool characters

peleincubus likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I might need to re-watch it, wait definitely need to re-watch it... They had some beer promo going at the theater... , but parts were good, other parts not great, however I do kind of agree with the sentiment that if they were going to make a sequel it was setting it up to be kind of cool (from what I recall), it seemed like it had a lot more origin story when maybe it didn't need as much since Han Solo was pretty established, I could be wrong on that establishment part but... I mean we know the character. Anyway, if you go in not expecting much it's definitely better than 7,8, haha, but that's not exactly saying much, and again maybe I thought that because cheap drinks can make everything better. If you liked 4-6 and rogue one, it's definitely behind those though, so just lower the bar or have some drinks :)

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Lower the bar and take your kids" has been my philosophy on 7-9.

K mf G and CCity Zero like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This works too, haha, I did the same on 7 and that worked. No drinks that time, but the kids enjoying it was worth it

K mf G likes this.
  6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Yes.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Solo was good enough, but it just didn't feel like the right backstory. A guy who is doing everything for his one love. It just didn't feel like Solo to me. And he's somehow enslaved to a worm creature when he's relatively smart. And then you find out he just got lucky on his parsec run, and the topper had to be Lando having some kind of tripped out romance with a robot, who ends up being the entire reason why the Falcon is best spaceship this side of endor. I still liked the overall plot and story. But there was a lot of wrong in there right down to how he got his name.

K mf G and Jontro like this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, maybe I don't remember as much as I think I remember.. Hahha, ****... I guess I should re-watch it. I mean I remember some of this.. Haha

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I had no expectations for it and skipped it in the theaters. I watched it at home one day and enjoyed it quite a bit.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Rouge One was damn good. If all of the sequels were as good or close to as good imagine the popularity SW would have.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Not optimistic about this one - in fact there's a good chance I will wait and catch it on Amazon Prime. The Last Jedi was so bad, it totally soured me on Star Wars. It was just godawful.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You mean Disney+

HillBoy, BigM and CCity Zero like this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh hell yeah, man... I'd love that soo much! Like I love the originals and rogue one, then.... I seriously don't like any of the rest (I really tried on 7... But no). Although, apparently I do need to watch the Solo one again, hahah, I mean I know it wasn't great but I do like Glover and I clearly missed a lot.

But seriously what bums me out the most is Rogue One, just... There was so much possibility for them to have that cast/characters do a lot of star wars stuff (there's probably a better word, haha, but you kniw what I mean) - and that just sucks, I mean it ended etc., I'd personally rather see 2-3 more to really develop the characters. ... Like if they could have had that cast and characters and made more movies afterward or stretched it, I seriously think they would have had something, in comparison 1-3, 7,8 and sadly probably 9 shouldn't even be allowed to have the Star Wars logo.... Like think about episode 4-6... they were the underdogs, the characters were badass, and they won.

On the new characters (outside of Rogue One)... I. Really don't care.

Like, for example, I think Rogue One could stand on its own, whereas 1-3, 7,8 are just bad in comparison, and probably only popular because the Star Wars name/brand is attached to each one.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't underestimate the fact that the Rogue One backstory could be filled in. Agree. Those characters were interesting. Not sure it would work, or light a fire, but it could be done.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The years waiting to see what would happen with han after empire strikes back was a prolonged orgasm. Talk about build up ending with them chewie and lando going to save han. What an epic transition. I left the theater wanting to go save han myself.

To now where I havent even seen rogue one.

I think at some point they should do a vader series and I would redo the story between vader and obi wan make vader more of a badass and make the obi wan vader angle more compelling. Maybe padme cheating with obi wan something gritty.

The star wars series sucks and has since phantom menace. One of the biggest disappointments of the post 2000 period

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

That would have been a great prequel trilogy with Rouge One being the conclusion of it but I don't want that now since we already know the outcome of those characters.

CCity Zero, BigM and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, can agree on both sides, definitely a wasted opportunity I think should have just kept that going - had some reasoning how they weren't in other movies etc etc or.... Have it a bit further out, best opportunity for new interesting characters/stories since 4-6

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Only if expectations...So Lo

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tongue in cheek, but I would pay to watch Mace Windu and Rainbow Rey duke it out.

One problem w/ TLJ was that it did not build up any excitement for the next movie unlike ESB, and felt more of a labored attempt to unwind every Star Wars movie before it than tell a story fit for a 2nd movie that audiences already know isn't conclusive. The less I know about this "last one", the less I'll be jaded and cynical of JJ Abrams underdelivering his finales while throwing us for unsolvable mysteries that may or may not pan out in Disney's other ventures in the "SWCU".

I thought it was okay in the first viewing because it trolled SW fanatics hard and was unpredictable, but I realized in the second (and last) viewing that a lot of their adventures and misdirectons not only made half the movie a waste of time, but also invalidated half of the movie before it.

Star Wars movies used to be an event, but that one felt like I was in the middle of watching something on Netflix and it had the nerve of making me wait an eternity before letting me binging to the end.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They’re producing a series on the back story of Cassian on Disney+

Deuce and PhiSlammaJamma like this.