1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Alien covenant - 6.2/10... Again with the walking into an alien environment with zero protective gear.. unreal.

2. Buck Turgidson

That was my favorite part of Prometheus: "hey, the air is breathable, let's all take our helmets off!"

I haven't rewatched Covenant, I should do that.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Darkest Hour, agree with what everyone else has said that this is all about Gary Oldman's performance, which is incredible. His performance gets a 10/10, the film itself I'd give about an 8 out of 10. Seemed like it wanted a bit more epic scope as a film to really put it over the top. Still an excellent film and well worth the rental on amazon at this point. The Lily James character was fine as a mechanism for seeing some of Churchill's internal deliberations, but felt a bit out of place in terms of historical accuracy. And the scene of Churchill riding the tube was a bit ridiculous.

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

When We First Met - Netflix Original Movie

7/10 - Has it's funny moments but the plot was predictable. Also only watched it for Alexandra Daddario. ;)

hvic likes this.
  5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Watched Red Sparrow and it was actually pretty good. JLaw is THICC.
    7.5/10

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's entertaining but so many "wtf are you thinking?!" moments. Also, maybe it's just my fuzzy alien history and timelines, but I had so many questions for why Walter did and I guess i need a refresher with Prometheus but geez,..so many questions.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Followed up watching Darkest Hour with Dunkirk. Really very good, for a historical film very accurate, and pretty much a thriller. I'd give it 9.5 out of 10.

8. Buck Turgidson

Best Gary Oldman role:

Drexl the Killer Pimp
    Dracula
    Norman Stansfield
    Zorg
    Sirius Black
    Smiley
    Churchill

9. Fantasma Negro

Wrinke In Time: F-
    I'm not sure what the **** I just watched. A rushed, mashed together piece of crap that lacks true chemistry or emotions. The only part of this movie that felt real was the very last scene. The director was so infatuated with tones and costumes that flow and story continuity were thrown out the window. Oprah is not an actress and I don't understand why she wants to be an actress, she's big time. I feel her name on the project as a producer would've been more than enough. Reece Witherspoon? Who is the casting director? Mindy Kaling was great but as the movie progressed her character was in a lot of scenes with Oprah and when Oprah is in any scene the spotlight is on Oprah. Everyone looked like they were trying so hard and then Chris Pine shows up and its like "oh that's acting". The kids were all great and that really sucks cause a director like Danny Boyle would've murked this. Guillermo del Toro would've made this a cinematic masterpiece. ****ing Wes Ball or Dean Israelite would've made this thing watchable. My kid actually loved it lol

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets for the first time on Amazon Prime. Not sure how I missed it when it came out (I'm a huge fan of The Fifth Element ). I loved it! It is a beautiful film. It really is. Great eye candy, as No Worries pointed out, and yes, the plot is a bit goofy (which he also implied!), but so was the plot of The Fifth Element. The difference is that Element had the good fortune to have Bruce Willis as the lead in one of his strongest performances. The leads in this are two actors who were/are unknowns, at least to an American audience. The film starts out in an awkward way, at least I thought so, but by the time it ended my opinion had changed dramatically for the better. The Science Fiction fans around here should see it, if they haven't already, and preferably with a good home system. The special effects are amazing.

7.5 out of 10.

Wilezra and peleincubus like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it is truly aimed at kids, from what I've read. They took all of the menace out of the story. Sounds awful for an adult.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Black Panther 10/10

Rocket River
    Oscar Worthy!!

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Have to just focus on the kids loving it
    It was for them. Things like this you have to grade on the kid curve
    I hope more kids see it and love it . . . .
    Since I am not the target Demo . . . .I kind of am not in a rush to see it
    but will next weekend.

So many people told me it was trash . . . i never got around to it
    It seems that these two movies have the same
    beautiful look but failing story issue

Rocket River

14. hvic

hvic Member

He picked the governors alma mata but Denzel is still locked up. Haha better block the dorm room scene unless the kids are older lol

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Wind River 9/10 Better than expected. Slow burn with only a little but some well done action

eric.81 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

Five minutes in I googled the run time and started my stopwatch

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree that Wrinkle is the sort of film that you hope to enjoy (some people just love good special effects), but that you take your kids to see because they will love it. My kids are in their 20's now, but one is getting into animation and will see it for that reason, the same reason he'll see Valerian, etc. I really enjoyed Valerian after the slow beginning. The Fifth Element? It's a classic "SF satire" (which is a sub-genre in SF), but better than Besson's newer film. It also made a pile of money, unlike Valerian, which essentially broke even before cable rights, streaming rights, etc. and so on. Not what you want from a $200 million dollar film. Still, I liked it.

I like satire, and really enjoy good SF satire, because it's so rare. John Scalzi has written some terrific SF satire and perhaps some of his novels will eventually make it to the big screen. A good example is Red Shirts, which is a satire about Star Trek. SF fans, if they don't know this Hugo winner, should check it his novels. The guy has a great sense of humor, also rare in SF.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

So this is a cool movie to watch at home with the girl?

I'm like you, everyone said it sucked, so I didn't go watch it.....

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

My Friend Dahmer

I felt the movie was an infinite loop of this guy being awkward and picking up road kill. If that’s how it really was, I don’t know why it would warrant a movie.

6/10

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, in my opinion. Being a SF fan helps, of course. Just make sure you stick with it for the first 15- 20 minutes or so. Then it starts to ramp up, plot wise, actually begins to make some sort of sense (it makes more sense as it continues), and begins to really move. Visually, it's spectacular. The plot takes far longer to kick in, with lots of crazy surprises, but it does work, in my opinion. There are subtle nods to The Fifth Element scattered throughout the film that you'll likely pick up on, but you aren't hit over the head with them. It had a $200 million dollar budget, and most of that is on the screen.

While the leads are unknowns, at least in the States (they are actually pretty good, and will seem pretty darn good by the time things wrap up), there are several well known actors in supporting roles that pop up from time to time. There's a dance by Rihanna to music "played" by Ethan Hawke (who's made up to resemble Keith Richards from maybe the 1980's), that's truly mind blowing. Her acting is pretty good, as well. Clive Owen, John Goodman, Herbie Hancock, Rutger Hauer, and others have roles of varying lengths. That's if you can recognize them (Hauer's is about 5 minutes). One thing is clear above everything else. This is a French film. They don't speak French, but when you watch the credits, that's who largely made Valerian. The influence is there, just as it was in The Fifth Element, but more so here, in my opinion. I like it. There's no Disney in this thing. None at all.

Hope that was helpful. Post what you thought about it later, if you want to. I won't be insulted if you think my take was lunacy. I'm just curious about your take (and the chick's, of course!).