1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[In-Depth] Analyzing the 2012 NBA Draft: Piecing Together Morey’s Draft Board

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Warning: this is a long one. All original content. I thank justtxyank for his wonderful recap of Morey's post-draft interview on 790, which I have used extensively for this thread. If you don't want to read 3,000 words that should be worth your time, you can scroll down and read the bolded parts.

------------------------------------------------
    Analyzing the 2012 NBA Draft: Piecing Together Morey’s Draft Board

The 2012 NBA Draft came and went. Relative to the lofty expectations that had been built up prior to the draft, it’s been a highly disappointing and frustrating day for Rocket fans. The Rockets did not manage to move into the top 10, and the much-anticipated Godfather offer to Orlando never came into fruition. Instead, we ended up using all three picks, and true to Morey’s philosophy of always picking the best player available, we ended up once again stacking the positions we have the most depth at – the wings spots and power forward.

I was especially displeased because not only was I disappointed about the lack of a trade, I did not agree with all of Morey’s selections, in particular the 18th pick for Terrence Jones. (FYI, I was pulling for Kendall Marshall, Tyler Zeller, and Jared Sullinger.) However, given Morey’s previous stellar drafting record, I’m not going to argue with those selections at this point. I will assume that they are, indeed, the best players (according to Morey’s metrics) available at their draft positions.

Many posters on the forum have already voiced their displeasure regarding the gut at power forward, the (continued) lack of direction, and general frustration regarding the lack of a major move. I will not repeat what’s already been said a million times. Instead, in light of the new evidence we have (Morey’s post draft media video, his interview on 790, Feigen’s post draft chat, among others), I want to try to piece together Morey’s 2012 draft board and analyze how the draft probably went down. Given Morey’s long stance of always drafting BPA, I believe that an accurate portrayal of the Rocket’s Big Board sheds a lot of light towards their thinking during draft night.

I have more thoughts about the glut at power forward and player development that will probably be suited for another thread. Regardless of what the result was, the 2012 NBA Draft has already happened. Eventually, I want to look past the draft and explore the possible options that the team has going forward.

I. Morey’s Big Board

1. Anthony Davis – is there even a question?
    2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    3. Bradley Beal
    4. Thomas Robinson

Contrary to the idea that if we moved into the 5th spot, it appears that Morey’s choice would not have easily been Andre Drummond. Instead, the 2-4 spots on his draft board were the “consensus” candidates, which we know to be MKG, Robinson, and Beal. The only evidence I have for ordering those three is based on Feigen’s comment that Morey apparently likes MKG more than usual. Therefore, this implies that in the case that the top four picks played out the way they did, and that Sacramento decided to trade us the 5th pick anyway, we would probably have selected Robinson over Drummond. Very interesting.

5. Andre Drummond

Long rumored to be Morey’s top choice after moving up, we now know more about Morey’s thinking. He’s not simply going to take people because they are seven footers, and he understands the high bust risk surrounding centers. He even believes that the bust risk is higher than many fans imagine – it’s not yet clear if “70%-80%” is the bust risk that he’s assigned to Drummond, but we can conjecture that Drummond was not at all a “safe” pick.

6. Damian Lillard

We don’t know if the “top six above Lamb” Morey mentioned is the top six players that went in the draft or the top six on his board, but since Drummond is definitely above Lamb and went 9th, I will assume that there are in fact exactly six players ranked above Lamb. The 6th player on Morey’s board has to be outside of the consensus top four but taken before our pick for Lamb at 12th.

I admit that putting Lillard here is purely my conjecturing. We have seen that Morey does not like taking unnecessary risks and also values “consensus” candidates highly, so I’m going to put a relatively proven player here. The other option is Harrison Barnes. I based the selection of Lillard over Barnes on this tweet:

It’s also possible that we would have taken Lillard at 5, just to trade down to the Blazers for more value. In this case we might not actually think that Lillard is a better prospect than Lamb, who’s next in line. Suppose that the first 4 picks played out as was widely expected: Davis at #1, Robinson at #2, Beal at #3, and MKG at #4. We would then be able to receive the 5th pick from Sacramento. In this case, I could totally see Morey take Lillard, forcing a trade with Portland for Drummond.

Somehow I highly doubt Waiters, Ross, or Leonard placed here. I feel that we would have been able to trade for Leonard if we truly wanted him this bad, and Ross seems too much of a reach.

7. Jeremy Lamb

Morey has delivered this pick. Now it has become clear that we traded up from 14th to 12th especially to get Lamb, and Phoenix was going to take him at 13th if we didn’t. Morey seems also to have explored trading up even further from 12 (to 10 and 11, presumably) to land Lamb.

8. Harrison Barnes??
    9. ???
    10. ???

Everything beyond here is very murky and we will probably never know. All those that could be in between Lamb and White include: Barnes, Ross, Rivers, Leonard, Waiters, Marshall, Henson, and Harkless. That’s eight in total.

Morey says he was “thrilled with board from 14th-18th,” so I can only assume that many of his top rated prospects were still on board at that point. Now we know that he seriously liked White, Zeller and Jones, in that order. These three must rank pretty high on his list.

I would think that Morey probably liked a few of these eight prospects quite a bit, especially Barnes, given his pedigree, Waiters given his eventual high draft position at #4, and Marshall, due to Morey’s past comments about how difficult it is to acquire a solid distributor in free agency and trades. However, I would guess that not many players go between Lamb and White, given the extent to which he thought the middle part of the draft retained value. I think it’s likely that on his actual draft board there were 2-3 players before White.

11. Royce White
    12. ??
    13. Tyler Zeller
    14. Terrence Jones

It’s obvious where these three picks go. Dallas was going to take White at 17 if we didn’t, and Zeller was the one we wanted to drop to 18. With Zeller gone, Morey’s pick for Jones, who was again a ¾ tweener, screamed BPA. In between White and Zeller, and to a lesser extent between Zeller and Jones, there could be obviously be more people that had been already taken. The gap between White and Zeller should be wider comparably. Regardless, we know for a fact that all three players were ranked on Morey's board much further ahead than the spots they were drafted at.

So here's Morey's big board, from one to the early teens, that I have recreated:

1. Anthony Davis
    -----
    2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    3. Bradley Beal
    4. Thomas Robinson
    -----
    5. Andre Drummond
    6. Damian Lillard
    -----
    7. Jeremy Lamb
    8. Harrison Barnes??
    9. ??
    10. ??
    11. Royce White
    12. ??
    13. Tyler Zeller
    14. Terrence Jones

The ----- I put in my recreation of the board indicates tiers. Davis is in a tier all by himself, followed by the consensus next three in MKG, Beal and Robinson. Drummond and Lillard goes in the next tier, because we only have a shot at them if we move up again from 12th – for Dummond, at least to Toronto’s 8th spot, for Lillard, Sacramento’s 5th spot.

In the end, we did have a good draft in the sense that we got the seventh best prospect on our board at 12th, and two players ranked in the very early teens at 16th and 18th, respectively. Recall that in 2010 Morey had 8 guys he wanted in the lottery (Patterson at 6th), and in 2011 he wanted 10 guys in the lottery, of which we managed to get one (Morris).

II. How the 2012 NBA Draft went down

As has been said already by various posters, three picks in the top 10 keyed this draft and the mess/confusion that followed. Here’s my pick by pick analysis of the top 10:

1. New Orleans Hornets - Anthony Davis: no surprises here.

2. Charlotte Bobcats - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist:

Charlotte was widely expected to take Robinson at this spot, but they went for MKG regardless. Let’s not talk about whether MKG is the right pick for the Bobcats (it’s amusing that they would pick another Gerald Wallace type after letting Wallace go), but rather focus on the fact that their top prospect was in fact Kidd-Gilchrist.

Still, I believe that Charlotte lost out on a lot of value here because the hottest commodity after Davis in this draft was without a doubt Bradley Beal. The Wizards’ and Cavs’ top choice was Beal by far. I don’t know how the Cavalier’s trade up plan for this pick failed (as reported by Marc Spears), but in hindsight, the Bobcats should have taken Beal here and then traded down. Worst case, they receive an 18 year-old shooting guard with serious All-star potential.

Update: This quote from Feigen sheds light on what happened on Draft Night.

It turned out that the #2 pick by Charlotte set the entire draft in motion, and was probably unexpected for many GMs around the league (including Morey). We also learn that Cleveland’s board looked something like this: 1. Davis 2. Gilchrist/Beal 3. Waiters. Gilchrist was the only one they had a legitimate shot at, if the Bobcats chose to take Robinson 2nd overall.

3. Washington Wizards - Bradley Beal:

This is the dream pick for the Wizards. No chance Washington moves Beal in a million years.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers - Dion Waiters:

Now here’s the real head scratcher. There’s no doubt that the Cavs seriously, seriously reached for Waiters here. At the very least, they could have drafted Robinson and traded him to Sacramento. The next two picks were pretty much set in stone – the Blazers wanted a point guard, and even if the Rockets were to obtain the 5th pick, they were likely going for Drummond. The next spot that Waiters could go would be 7th for the Warriors. It just doesn’t seem to make sense for Cleveland to reach this far for Waiters without getting anything else of value at all.

5. Sacramento Kings - Thomas Robinson:

The Kings get the one guy the covet in the draft, and we’re screwed.

6. Portland Trailblazers - Damian Lillard:

No surprises here, apparently the Trailblazers prefer Lillard’s potential over a sure thing (Lowry).

7. Golden State Warriors - Harrison Barnes:

The Warriors have lusted for a solid SF who can contribute right away, and they have the perfect guy fall right into their laps. No way they would move this pick when Barnes becomes available.

8. Toronto Raptors - Terrence Ross:

If you thought Waiters at 4 was a dumb move… This might be the reach of the draft right here. Trading down to the Rockets for the 12th and 16th/18th picks would have made so much more sense, it blows my mind. Unless the Raptors had sure fire intel that the Pistons would take Ross with the 9th pick if they miss out on Drummond, or that the Hornets would take Ross (very unlikely), this pick is just plain lunacy. Here was our best chance at getting our 5th most liked player, Drummond.

9. Detroit Pistons - Andre Drummond:

The world knows that the Pistons covet Drummond. No way they move him for anything we have without us doing something like taking on Villanueva or (God forbid) Tayshaun Prince’s contract.

10. New Orleans Hornets - Austin Rivers:

This is a rather normal pick for the Hornets, and was anticipated. Not much to say here.

We know that: a. Morey had a deal in place with Sacramento that involved Lowry and multiple picks for the 5th pick, as long as Robinson did not fall to 5th; and b. Morey has talked extensively with every team in the top 10 outside of New Orleans and probably had multiple back up moves if the Sacramento trade fell through, especially at 8th with Toronto.

It is clear that what went down on draft night was without doubt the worst case scenario for us in all aspects. When our deal with Sacramento (and subsequently Toronto, presumably) was shattered, we had no way to make a convincing offer to Orlando, or use that pick as a jumping board to maneuver our way within the top 10.

In the end, our gamble of accumulating mid first round picks for the big draft night trade backfired. After Drummond, all of the picks up to 18 were essentially in the same tier. Therefore, packaging picks in a trade hardly made sense. Deals for veterans don’t usually happen with picks outside of the lottery on draft night, and are usually much more difficult to coordinate (which is why they usually go down before the Draft or after free agency is settled).

People have also suggested trading picks for future picks. Regarding this aspect, Morey mentioned in the post draft news conference that they had such deals offered to them, but they felt like the talent available was too good for those types of deals. Understandable – the deals offered were probably something like Jones or White for a future heavily protected first rounder, possibly from a contending team. Since Morey believed he was getting lottery caliber for all three of these picks, it’s easy to understand why he would think that he’s giving up excess value for such trades.

III. Conclusions:

From my recreation of Morey’s draft board and analysis of draft day moves, I conclude the following points about the Rockets’ draft strategy:

1. Always draft the best player available. This draft again underscores this longstanding philosophy of the Rockets in a big way, as we see with the bazillion forwards on our roster.

2. The Rockets brass is not shy to take on big risks in terms of prospects with heavy bust potential. However, every significant risk has to be balanced by enormous reward. The pursuit of Andre Drummond demonstrates this point fully. Morey also quantifies the risk that is associated, and balances the probability of a player such as Drummond becoming a star player with the chances of landing a star through trade or free agency. Criticisms such as “the Rockets are afraid to roll the dice” are completely unfounded. The Rockets’ risk management is very solid.

3. Contrary to popular belief, Morey does not always make “safe picks.” He understands that our goal in the draft is to find players with star potential, and not role players. Therefore, “upside” is highly emphasized in his criteria of ranking players. I cannot emphasize this point enough. Morey and co. definitely have a set method of evaluating and weighing that upside against the chances of it being realized, and as I’ve mentioned, we have no reason to be skeptical of method given Morey’s draft record.

4. The Rockets will go for a star that plays any position. You would think that Morey’s target is a star center, but actually, it’s anything worth building around, or any blue chip piece that can possibly bring something that’s worth building around. This brings me to the next point:

5. The Draft, for the Rockets, is only one part of an integrated rebuilding approach. This point is probably the most important, and has several smaller elements to it.

a. The Rockets are one of the best teams in the league in terms of maximizing value out of a certain pick. They will trade down repeatedly if they can manage to secure the player want, and pick up more assets in the way. As we have seen, not all teams have that ability. Charlotte, Cleveland and Toronto shine as bad examples here – this is an indication of poor management skills and explains partially the states that those franchises are in.

b. Every pick is the Rockets’ own pick, and no pick is the Rockets’ own pick. Morey and co. realize that the rebuilding effort will take multiple star players, and likely will not be resolved in a single draft. There’s a lot of value in acquiring “consensus picks” since not only are those players usually very good, they also have extremely high trade value and can be used to flip for a star player in trades (e.g. Derrick Favors). So even if Morey drafts a highly touted prospect, don’t get too attached.

c. The draft demonstrates again that the current management has a long-term vision to the rebuilding effort. The approach that we have taken is designed for contention in the long term rather than short-term results.

Ultimately, I agree with management’s approach, and as I stated in a previous thread, you have to go with the right approach and live with the results, no matter what they may be.

However, no strategy is foolproof. While some posters are enthusiastic about having a roster chock full of rookies (with additions from last night, we will have 7 players from the past two drafts on the roster), I am decidedly less happy about this result, and I suspect that Morey is not as pleased as he claimed to be in his post draft interview, either. Too many young players do not necessarily hinder each other’s “development” per se, but definitely can negatively affect their trade value. The more medium value young players you have on a roster, the marginal cost of developing the player goes up and the marginal utility of their development goes down, since it is difficult to reflect that development in terms of trade value. However, this is all for another thread to discuss.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Bibliography:

1. Daryl Morey post-draft news conference thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=222003

2. Morey's post-draft interview on 790, with justtxyank's amazing recap: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=222028

3. Feigen's post-draft chat: http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/06/replay-jonathan-feigens-post-nba-draft-chat/

4. The Ken Berger tweet I used: http://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/218116896086700033

#1 Marsarinian, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    51 people like this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How do we know Robinson wasn't #2?

I think MKG was liked by Morey because he was the highest realistic grab. I don't think he expected Robinson to drop, so he wasn't as focused on him. Washington wasn't as receptive to his trade offers. They probably lied and said they were going after Robinson to try and get more out of Morey. Morey realized they lied later (he made a comment about teams lying about their pick during the post draft conference)

#2 RV6, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Wow, what a great post.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Woah! Now, THAT's the best analyzing of Morey's drafting ideology I've EVER seen. That's freaking brilliant. For once we get a real post without someone just jerking their knee and crying like babies that we never get anything done (which is partially true but not for lack of trying).

Great post OP. Repped.

5. Marsarinian

Are you asking how I know Robinson wasn't #2 on Morey's board, or are you asking how Morey would know if Robinson would go #2? If it's the former, the evidence I used was the Feigen quote I pulled. If you're asking the latter, I have no answer.

6. Marsarinian

Oh now I see what you mean. True. As I said, my rankings from 2-4 were pure conjecture. I have no way of knowing which one Morey preferred over the others.

7. ZTiger87

ZTiger87 Member

Great post. Toronto is the real head scratcher. They must think they have a real good shot at signing Nash.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They said we knew we would pick royce white after Henson was tooken at 14, so that means john henson was before royce.

9. Marsarinian

Source? Sorry haven't heard that before.

10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Great post, but Lamb is #5 as referenced in link below:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/06/owner-alexander-calls-rockets-draft-picks-steals/

“It’s both,” Alexander said of the ambivalent feelings after the way the day unfolded and the ways it did not. “It’s a disappointment. You want to move up. But you’re happy you got three great guys. They’re big. Lamb is a real big two. Royce, all our guys love him. They think he will be a real star in this league. (Jones) is huge and he’s young.

“We stole them. We had Lamb as the fifth-best player. We got him. Everybody wanted Royce. I thought at 18, we might not get somebody that terrific, but we did.”

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I would give the edge to Morey, since he would have spent more time looking and creating the board. Les probably made a mistake.

My guess:

1. Anthony Davis
    2. Thomas Robinson
    3. Bradley Beal
    4. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    5. Andre Drummond
    6. Damian Lillard
    7. Jeremy Lamb
    8. Harrison Barnes
    9. Dion Waiters
    10. Meyers Leonard
    11. Kendall Marshall
    12. John Henson
    13. Royce White
    14. Terrence Ross
    15. Austin Rivers
    16. Tyler Zeller
    17. Moe Harkless
    18. Terrence jones

#11 RV6, Jun 29, 2012
  12. Marsarinian

Great points that I missed. However, there are inconsistencies between the quotes. If you look at the ones I used, both Feigen and Morey have indicated that there is a "consensus top four," and it doesn't seem that Drummond would be included in that group, because Drummond would almost surely be available at 5. The key thing is to clear up who these four players were, and it seems to me that they should have been Davis, Robinson, Beal, and Kidd-Gilchrist. We know we wanted to move up for Drummond, so Drummond seems to be in front of Lamb - unless it's the opposite and we never wanted to offer the 12th in a deal to get Drummond? That could make sense too.

13. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Trading for the 5th and picking Lillard to create leverage in a trade with Portland for the 6th seems like a very risky strategy. What if Portland calls our bluff? Not only does this severely rattle Dragic and Lowry, but it opens the door even further for Portland to pursue Dragic in free agency. Too much that can go wrong in that scenario in my opinion.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I think it's fair to let everyone know before they read this piece that Marsarinian is one of the biggest Morey apologists on this website.

Also, you were asked this question, but I believe you failed to respond to it in the other dissertation you wrote. Since you talk about a "a long-term vision to the rebuilding effort," how long do we have to wait? Give us a time-frame. 5, 10, 15, 20 years? You do realize it has been over 15 years and the Rockets only have ONE playoff series victory to show for it.

#14 Kwame, Jun 30, 2012
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Epic post.

Thanks for that.

16. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

You realize the NBA is all about matchups and sheer luck right? If injuries happen, they happen. You have to deal with them.

17. Marsarinian

1. The current rebuilding period under Morey only started after Yao Ming went down for good two seasons ago. Obviously the situation changed multiple times in the past 15 years, but you don't need me to remind you that we once had players named Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming on this roster.

2. Alexander and Morey have talked about a rebuilding phase for 3-5 years, and I think that's a fair estimate. I think the rebuilding really started from last season, when we finally took off all of the dead weight contracts and could have a free hand to maneuver.

3. Other alternatives? You are apparently on the tanking boat, tell me how long it would take to find franchise cornerstones through the draft? Unless you can guarantee us three number one picks in a row, this path can also easily take 3-5 years. Just ask the Bobcats, Pistons if they got anywhere. How long did it take the Clippers turn things around? People cite the Thunder, but how long did they suck as the SuperSonics before that?

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

To the op, I highly doubt about the "intel" a week before with lamb and the suns. Most teams have a pre draft board that is stacked vertically and horizontally. When the draft starts, the fluidness of it changes players and teams. The best example are ur 2 head scratchers in ross and waiters and even mkg #2. Those shifted the board and pushed guys down. You have to think of ross,waiters,and lamb in the same context. Once ross was drafted,amb was sliding, but most teams are pleased when bpa is also a need. Teams always rate players,but they curve it to fit a need. That's why I think lamb would've been there @16. The prospects of losing nash made marshall bpa who fit a need. I never thought the bucs would draft lamb with jennings and monte. Philly has evan,meeks, and iggy. They took harkless because they'll probably lose the georgia tech kid. In 3 yrs or so, we wil see how good the draft was though.

19. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

To be fair, we've been retooling and rebuilding under the radar for longer than that. Morey has methodically been eliminating the bad contracts and liabilities, stealthily picking up assets in the form of prospects and draft picks, and staying competitive with veterans on reasonable contracts. He has shown enough competence that the owner now gives him free reign in his moves, and is quick to identify and fix his mistakes.

We are in a MUCH better long term position right now than the last years of the injury riddled T-Mac/Yao eras. We have been very prudent, acquired a rare high level of flexibility under the new CBA, and stockpiled enough assets that we can pounce on every opportunity that presents itself. Why do you think our names are popping up in trade rumors everywhere? That's the signature of a hardworking and competent front office. To those that say we haven't scooped up that elusive superstar yet, fret not, we should trust them to have the brains to not squander all the gains from the past few years on the first opportunity that presents itself. Not all that glitters is gold; we are biding our time. It will come.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Okay, so you're saying another 2-4 years and the Rockets are going to be contenders?