1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Trump Wins Again Chances of Removal from Office?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 19, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is pure late Friday speculation but am posting this for discussion purposes.

One possibility of this election is that Trump wins very narrowly again losing as much or more of the popular vote but Dems hold onto the House and take Senate. Given that it's doubtful that Trump improves his relationship with with Congress and all of the stuff that is coming out about Trump what do y'all think about another impeachment, which I think is pretty much guaranteed if Trump wins and the Dems hold onto the House, and an actual removal from office?

Consider that if Trump wins again he's a lame duck President. In most two term presidencies the second term is usually tougher than the first as knowing the President isn't going on the ballot means that most politicians don't worry about coattails and usually why then midterm election of a second term usually is a bloodbath for the party of the President. There are many sitting Republican Senators such as Murkowski, Sasse, and Rubio who have publicly been critical of Trump but for the most part have voted with him including in impeachment. Without having to worry about Trump being on the ticket again, and in the case of Murkowski he's already said he will support a primary challenger, would they be willing to remove him from office?

While Trump supporters will howl and try to primary them without Trump being on the actual ticket they know that their fate won't be tied to being on a ballot with him. While Trump won't face the voters again they know that they will and staying with an unpopular lame duck might be worth their while to replace him with a more reliable and conservative Pence.

I understand even with a Dem majority it will still be very hard to remove from office. 67 votes is a very high bar but a big part of the argument made by Republicans and specifically by Rubio was that Trump will be up for reelection so the voters should decide. A second Trump term that won't be an issue.

What do y'all think.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

It's an interesting topic. Certainly there is already more apparent cause for removal than there was during the Senate trial.

But if Trump were to win, it would be highly unlikely Democrats would retake the Senate. So what might happen in that case?

I think John Bolton's testimony would have made a bigger difference this year than in a future impeachment trial, but he might tip the scales, especially if Dems make any gains in the Senate, though some may come at the expense of Senators that might vote for removal, like Collins. Too, like you said, some R's like Murkowski, Rubio, et al might be more likely to vote for removal given the lame duck status you mentioned.

I think an equally interesting question is what happens to Trump if he loses. He says he'll just go on to do other things. But will he do those other things from a prison cell? There have been so many charges piled up that can't be brought against a sitting president but can be brought against a former one. The Southern District of NY has more than a few ready to go. And they aren't light charges. They're serious stuff. They may (and probably will) become even more serious when his tax returns can be subpoenaed.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The chances would be close to zero.

If Trump wins again, then the American people do not care about corruption enough.

It would open the floodgates for other very questionable people with checkered pasts to run for President with a real chance of victory.

jiggyfly, Andre0087, malakas and 9 others like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is more speculation but if Trump loses it wouldn’t surprise me if a deal is made by an incoming Biden Admin. to not pursue charges and pressure NY state to not to if he agrees to leave peacefully. Also to not stir up his base. While Biden has said he has faith the military will remove Trump forcefully if he loses and doesn’t leave I doubt he wants to get there and will find ways to have him leave as quietly as possible.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is possible also. Republican senators will see that too. How much though will they continue to go along if they know that he won’t have coattails in another election.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Batman Jones

Maybe. Biden is very much about uniting the country but he isn't Gerald Ford. Ford was of the same party and Nixon hadn't brazenly flouted the law like Trump has again and again. Nor did Nixon do the damage to our nation that Trump has, in the course of breaking various laws. The rule of law matters and I expect Biden will leave it to the courts to decide.

Maybe he compromises by pardoning him for 10 crimes but leaves him open to prosecution for all the others? j/k

7. Batman Jones

I also don't think it helps his cause that Bill Barr is trying to fire the prosecutor that's been preparing to prosecute these crimes, for no other reason than to protect Trump when he's out of office. Committing an end-run around the laws in advance of a sure-fire prosecution will not help Trump's cause in this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ain't nothing gonna happen.

9. Batman Jones

Well, when you put it that way...

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Immediately or ever?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I feel like there’s a wink wink understanding that former presidents are off limits. Bush Sr. should be an easy target if that weren’t the case. I could easily be wrong, but wouldn’t it be the first time a former president is prosecuted?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The shelf of someone like Trump I think is pretty short. I mean how much do people care about Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman now? This is still more speculation but my guess is when Trump leaves office he won’t be very relevant after a year.

There will be someone else to capture the attention and rile people up his base. I expect it will be like GW Bush. Remember back 15 years ago when people were literally worshipping him? When people were calling any who opposed him traitors. Many of those people are now Trump supporters who made it part of his campaign denigrating the memory of the Bush 43 Admin and insulting the Bush family.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As far as I can recall no former President has ever been prosecuted but as Trump says himself he is not like any President before him.

RayRay10, Batman Jones and B@ffled like this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

These are pure fantasies. The only reason impeachment got off the ground in the House was because of 1) The resistance movement holdovers and 2) A partisan vote by House members. When Trump wins, there's a good chance Republicans take back the House as well, thereby nullifying any chance of impeachment. And the Obama holdovers will be rooted out, denying the 3rd person hearsay "spark" for the fake impeachment movement.

But I do take solace that the liberals are starting to make plans for Trump's victory. I think people are waking up to the fact that Biden is the worst Presidential candidate in our lifetimes. Corrupt, wrong on policy (Crime Bill, Iraq War), sexual assaulter, "handsy" with children, and obviously has lost his cookies mentally.

GOOD DAY

cml750 and Wattafan like this.
  15. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I think part of the purge happening with the DA’s Is for the ‘bomb’ that Durham is suppose to drop. But Barr has already said Biden and Obama aren’t being looked at. Maybe that’s because of the ‘understanding’ ... Of course they’ll still drag both of their names thru the mud for political points. I expect that Trump will campaign on this.

16. Batman Jones

Exactly. There's no precedent for prosecuting a former president but there's also no precedent for Trump.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

What? Which laws did Obama or Biden violate? (The answer is none.)

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If he had maintained his nasty 2015 energy, I could have seen him having quite a career on OAN or something like that, but it's hard to see 2020 Trump maintaining much of a following post politics. Maybe the occasional gig as a judge on a talent show or something.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Palin and Bachmann are minor players compared to Trump. Bush 43 very quietly retired to Crawford post-presidency and has an opposite temperament from Trump.

Have a hard time seeing Trump staying quiet and am not sure why you would trust him to stick to a deal to do so.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If there was a deal like that and he doesn't stick to it the response is easy. They open prosecutions on him.

I don't expect Trump to be quiet when he leaves office. I just think once he's no longer President there will be someone else who will capture the attention of his base.

RayRay10 likes this.