1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Tyler White

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

As to your first point, I have no idea what point you are trying to make. As to your 2nd, you are just wrong.

2. vince

vince Member

Sadly, White is going to play himself out of the team fairly soon. He’ll likely get another opportunity with another club, but he’s out of options.... I doubt he clears waivers.

Here is to hoping that Luhnow can find trade partners for both him and Tony Kemp (another guy out of options, but I could see the Astros keeping him and sending Straw back to the minors - though I think deserves to be on the club)

With Alvarez, Straw, and Diaz coming on so strong, you have to go with them the rest of the way. Marisnick and Stassi round our the bench.

3. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Why the hell would they trade Tony Kemp? He actually contributes and is a starter caliber player. Tyler White does not even deserve to be in the league. He has NO trade value.

edwardc likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Tony Kemp is a below MLB average offensive player. (Note that I am not saying that Tyler White doesn’t suck)

5. Buck Turgidson

When Diaz/Correa come back, White and Kemp are the natural guys to get sent out, unless you value keeping Kemp an Astro over keeping Straw up with the big club. I vote Straw.

vince likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

I vote TK he's the more polished hitter of those 2.

7. bobrek

What does that mean? Right now there is still not enough ML data on Straw, but he is getting on base 40% of the time which would be third in the AL (again, small sample size). Straw is a better outfielder and can play SS (albeit at a mediocre level)

All that being said, I suspect they will keep Kemp on the roster over Straw rather than give Kemp away for little or nothing.

arkoe likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point I'm thinking that's what they will do.

By the time they come back it will only be a few weeks until September call ups, then they can leave Kemp off the playoff roster. Straw looks to be a superior bench player, by a big margin. But they can keep both if they send Straw back down for a month, maybe less.

I see no purpose at all for White once Diaz comes back.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. bobrek

Yeah...it will be interesting to see what they do assuming Diaz comes back before Correa, considering Straw is a “free” roster move.

10. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Have there been any updates on Diaz?

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Actually you are wrong on both

Kemp is below average as a starter, good bench guy with a little versatility, but if he is starting and playing every day for you then you probably aren't a great team

White is bad, but they could trade him if they felt it was time/needed. Problem right now is there is no answer at 1B, once Correa or Diaz gets back and Bregman can play 3B everyday and Yuli back to 1B, buh bye Tyler

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think y’all are overthinking this. When Diaz comes back, Straw goes down. He has options and Kemp doesn’t.

As far as White goes, unless something dramatic happens in the next couple of weeks (Alvarez goes 0-his next 50 or someone gets injured), his time as an Astro is nearly over.

raining threes likes this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think there is a chance that when Diaz comes back White is DFA and both Kemp and Straw stay. But regardless, once Diaz and Correa are both back, I see no way White is still on the roster

edwardc likes this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Kemp and Straw both bring something to the club that white doesn't speed both have hr power and can play 2 positions.

15. bobrek

Straw has averaged 1 HR per 500+ at bats in his minor league career.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  16. edwardc

edwardc Member

Didn't bagwell have numbers like that in the minors also.?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Straw is not Bagwell even if Bagwell had those numbers, which I doubt. Straw is speed, defense, with contact hitting.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. bobrek

Are you seriously comparing Straw's power potential to Bagwell's? (Bagwell was around 1 every 140 at bats) You said Straw has "HR power". What evidence is there that he does? Straw's minor league slugging is .374.

19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am not a tyler white fan at all but my question is who becomes the back up first baseman if he is cut? we would move yuli to first when correa comes back but he will need days off. What if he gets hurt?

20. bobrek

Until Diaz is healthy, they don't have anyone who can conceivably play first base on a regular basis.