1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 17, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 RudyTBag, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

We should sign him

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

should've S&T for Anderson. Would've picked up Melo for sure if we gave Knicks Bev, Dekker and Harrell.

4. mockster

mockster Member

Nah to old and to small we need Ricky Rubio

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

love the competitiveness of cp3. always about the W first

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Dude nobody is getting rid of Ricky Rubio da gawd!

7. basketballholic

Kick-ahead passes, eh? You wanna talk about kick-ahead passes? Then tell the whole story. A significant portion of Harden's record-setting gargantuan pile of turnovers last season came from........you guessed it....kick-ahead passes. Harden took FAR TOO MANY risks on kick-ahead passes and those risks did not pay off nearly often enough.

Hopefully with the addition of Paul this changes this season.

Otherwise, fun read. Good article.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have any numbers to support this? I'd love to see If those were a net negative for us, or a net positive.

I'd imagine that the kick-aheads were a net positive, with the net negatives being the long isolation at the top of the key types of turnovers. Hopefully Chris Paul cuts THESE down.

9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Love it. He wants a ring, nothing less

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yo Chris Paul is a chill dude.

It's gonna be even chiller when LeBron and Wade come over for a quick ring or two before heading back to Cleveland and Miami respectively to retire. :)

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

My take:
    - CP3 made the decision by himself that Houston was best for him, nobody really convinced him with either this or that
    - Morey made CP3 a bobble-head, that's some funny stuff
    - Harden and MDA both allowed the MVP chase to distract them from the bigger goal
    - Harden honestly feels he let the team down in game 6 and owns up to some of his shortcomings to how he dealt with Dwight
    - Harden will not necessarily do things he's not comfortable with and just wants to play the way he likes to play, so basically I don't expect much off the ball movement and still a lot of forced threes since he wants to
    - MDA, Morey and company laid down the law with regards to minutes which I like, but let's see how it plays out as MDA doesn't have the stones to tell Harden no I think. In the article he says he will say no and look at the plan we drew up and agreed upon.
    - Harden and CP3 will only play 18 minutes together, which is not a lot and I hope they re-consider
    - Harden and CP3 are really doing everything they can so far to make this duo and team successful off the court, so let's hope it translates on the court

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

nice!

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, the Rockets landed Chris Paul in 2017 because Morey gave him a Chris+Little Chris bobble-head set in 2013. Morey is clearly playing chess while the rest of the league is playing basketball.

14. basketballholic

Yes, I tracked it.

Harden's turnovers on these kick-ahead passes was a net loss of over 2.8 points per turnover. His assists on a kick-ahead pass was a net gain of 0.7 points over a half-court possession. That means he had to have 4 assists for every turnover on kick-ahead passes. He didn't.

However a deeper dive into his kick-ahead passes reveals the same thing that looking at his three-point attempts reveals. No different than football, when he forced the pass to go through more than one defender or when his man was tightly covered......he lost.

Same thing on his threes. He sucked at pull up threes while being a very good spot-up catch-and-shoot three-point shooter. The problem on his pull-ips was the more he dribbled the worse he got.

Hardens turnover problems are a result of forcing the action.....too much. To the point of diminished and then negative returns. Forcing kick-ahead passes. Forcing passes to the perimeter out of pick-and-roll. And forcing the drive and shot in pick-and-roll and getting stripped while looking for the whistle. His main issue with standing around outside with the dribble and being non-aggressive while holding the ball was actually throwing up the pull up three, not forcing passes that were turnovers. The bulk of Hardens turnovers come in forcing the break and forcing pick-and-roll. It came from his unwillingness to make the pass before the pass.

I'm hopeful and have confidence that CP3 will largely fix these things and they will be mostly a non-issue this season though.

#14 basketballholic, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    heypartner, RudyTBag and Deckard like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Wow I bet it never even occurred to Morey to try trading our worst contract

amaru, onreego, True Rocket and 3 others like this.
  17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

FANfrom86toNow and RudyTBag like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

But has he done anything ?

Drops mic.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

if your absolute bar is a title only then probably not in your eyes but hes done plenty to me to show hes an elite player that impacts winning positively

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He's elite for sure. So was T Mac.
    I hope Paul takes his came to another level but I'm not sure if that's even capable at this time in his career.