1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks for this. Sure hope the astros are interesed, although realmuto is more important to me.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not seeing their name, my guess is that the Astros almost certainly like Yelich (who wouldn't?) - but likely view it as Tucker + prospects > Yelich.

3. Hey Now!

Realmuto will cost you too many prospects to upgrade what is, essentially, the least important offensive position on the field. I mean, don't get me wrong - he's very good with a likely higher ceiling - but the cost just isn't worth it, IMO. Not for this team.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Another thing is, you're seeing the ball constantly when you're catching. Sure, you're seeing your own pitcher's pitches, but you're still seeing the ball constantly, which keeps you focused.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Would all our top ten prospects save Whitley +fisher get you Yelich and Realmuto? If so, I'm all in. There both young, reasonable salaries for multiple years. Replace the weakest positions we have on an already historically awesome roster.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1927 Yankees faint....

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I've never really understood the "least important offensive position" argument. What difference does it make if you're number 8 or 9 hitter is a catcher, 1B, or 3B. As long as you have the right power production distributed throughout the batting lineup who cares? What if you have a high on-base fast catcher. Is it alright if he hits at the top of the line-up or must your catcher be a power hitter and slug on the base paths? Why not think out the box? Seems like the Astros are really good at abstract thinking and not really worried about how its always been done.

LongTimeFan likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Agree. If at all possible to get Realmuto without giving up Tucker or Whitley, they need to do it. I’d like to think that Fisher, Martes, Alvarez, Stassi, and H Perez would be enough. If they could pull that off and then go sign a 2nd tier guy for LF to bridge the gap until Tucker is ready, they’d have one of the best lineups of all time. Other trade Id like to see is McHugh and Sipp for Zach Britton plus prospects (like Chris Lee and/or Hunter Harvey)

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    RF Reddick
    DH Gattis
    LF CarGo/Dyson/Jay/Lind/Morrison/Duda
    C Realmuto

Bench: McCann, Marwin, Marisnick

Rotation: Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, Morton, McCullers

Bullpen: Peacock, Devenski, Gose, Harris, Smith, Rondon, Giles, Britton

Optioned: White, Reed, Kemp, Davis, Rodgers, Paulino, Lee, Harvey, Deetz, C Perez, Guduan, Gustave, Hoyt, plus 2 open 40 man spots

Top 10 prospects: Whitley, Tucker, Bukauskas, Paulino, C Perez, Davis, Nova, Celestino, C Martin, Matijevic

9. SS0101

SS0101 Member

While I dont think Tucker is worth giving up for Yelich...I sure was hoping to see the Astros on that list. Part of me is greedy and wants to just look at what we would have on paper if we made that type of move.

The other part of me knows that we can make a Carlos Gonzalez or Logan Morrison type of move on a short term deal or plug in Fisher (later on Tucker if necessary) and be just fine and exciting in its own right as well. It is the smart thing to do...lets have a fully loaded farm come the deadline and be ready to deal whatever necessary to fill whatever hole comes up that we didnt anticipate before. Or if there are no holes we can always wait to see who the next Chris Sale type of scenario is.

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Few Things:

1.) Overkill.
    2.) Realmuto isn't needed with McCann/Gattis.
    3.) Britton is out till early August after tearing his achilles and that's pushing it...
    4.) Why give up Fisher/Martes/Alvarez when it is completely unnecessary.

Wait it out, no need to make moves that aren't necessary at this point in time. If severe injuries happen, then maybe I can see us doing something like that.

11. bobrek

Right...no reason to use any of their good assets to acquire Britton. See how he heals and pitches and then make a move for him late in the season if need be.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yep. We can sit on our hands for the time being. FO has done a great job. Let the current prospects get some seasoning, see who blossoms. Increase trade value, make moves if necessary come deadline depending on injuries/holes.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

1.) Nah.
    2.) Gattis isn’t expected to catch and both McCann and Gattis are old, pending free agents who can’t throw out baserunners.
    3.) For some reason I thought Britton was supposed to be healed in the April-May timeframe. But looking around it appears he hopes to be back mid-June. So scrap that idea.
    4.) totally subjective. Why trade for Cole? Verlander?

14. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Absolutely agree. I think when people call it the "least important offensive position" what they intend to say is that almost all catchers are bad hitters while they vary a lot in their defensive impact. However, some people interpret this incorrectly to conclude that the weirdo catcher with a .800 OPS is not a big deal. In fact this makes him more valuable.

15. Hey Now!

No. I can't imagine the Marlins trading those two guys for any package that doesn't include Whitley and Tucker as the centerpiece. I'm not sure any team has two players THAT ARE VIABLY AVAILABLE as good as Realmuto and Yelich, given their production, potential, ages, cost and positions.

The Marlins really have relatively zero incentive/urgency to deal either player; their socks would (likely) have to be blown off to deal one, let alone both.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marlins are going to suck. Astros rebuild is further along than the Marlins. Marlins have a huge debt. Marlins are still 2 years from new TV deal if memory serves correctly and probably wouldn't be able to afford current payroll with BamTech money.

They couldn't break 0.500 with Stanton and Ozuna playing amazing. They will not be competitive with Realmuto. They won't be competitive with Yelich for most of the rest of his contract if any.

If the Marlins value teams capable of being competitive, there is huge incentive in trading value now and value of the near future.

17. Hey Now!

I know all the ramifications - I still wouldn't deem their situation desperate or urgent enough to deal their two best assets for $.50-.75 on the dollar. Realmuto is under club-control for three more years; Yelich five at what is a preposterously valuable contract.

I know it's hard to recoup value on deals - but they'd do better to wait at least until the deadline where other teams are desperate and more likely to panic.

18. Buck Turgidson

What day is it again?

19. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Astros are going through be going value shopping... yet again there will be some unlucky SOB’s that don’t get the big pay day and they Astros will come calling. If not we can wait until June and see what weaknesses/injuries pop up and they can be addressed then.

kaleidosky likes this.
  20. bobrek

Why can't Bagwell learn to throw left handed day.