1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

I blame Curt Flood.

You guys in Houston need to start recruiting more Japanese folks to move to town.

2. vince

vince Member

A little different situation. The system was set up as such, in that there are no medical checkups before the draft. Once Astros saw a medical red light they halted, and offered the minimum required amount.

If healthy, Aiken’s would be well on his way to a hall of fame career. But he ended up proving the Astros fears accurate, the injury happened as prognosticated.

Astros ended up being lucky that Aiken didn’t take the money offered. But it seems Aiken had principles and didn’t want to play for an organization that had such reservations.

Arizona got Swanson, from what I saw Colorado wanted Rogers regardless, and the Texas Rangers we’re primed to select Bregman.

So the situation is that if Brady Aiken accepts a deal with the Astros, Bregman is the face of the Texas Rangers!!! And Aiken’s is the 2nd #1 pick disaster after Appel.

3. Buck Turgidson

Right. Luck...who said that it's "when talent meets opportunity"? Or something like that.

How much would we all ****ing hate Bregman if he was a Ranger?

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So SO SO SO much. I'm so glad things worked out for us. That's just good, clean livin'.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It's easy to forget how good Hunter Pence was for us.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Wow. As good as Bregman has been, it's crazy to think that Bagwell had almost 70 more RBI than him over those first three years.

RKREBORN likes this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

this is misleading for berkman (34 games) and bregman (49 games) since neither one of them played a full season in their first year. Berkman was phenomenal

8. SuraGotMadHops

I think Bregman for MVP is getting serious. He's ahead of Trout in hits, RBIs, doubles, runs, and avg, will be ahead in walks very soon, less ks. Durability and winning has to be at least some sort of factor. I'm not at the level yet where if Alex doesnt win I think he got screwed (like Harden last year and JJ Watt in 2014), but I think the competition is very real.

9. CrazyJoeDavola

If you base this on first 3 FULL seasons, then Bregman comes in 2nd to Berkman.

10. SemisolidSnake

Just found this article by Richard Justice from a week ago: "Alex Bregman Case for MVP"

Lots of good quotes in there from people that respect Bregman including players from other teams. Bagwell has several good points to make. Both he and Justice point out that Bregman's been doing everything he's asked to do on on the defensive side of a heavily-injured team this year. Baggie also points out that Bregman earning that many walks is impressive, because you can't just easily walk Bregman to get to someone easier like you can with Trout. Hinch, while neutral and highly complimentary towards Trout, points out that putting up this kind of performance on a team playing at playoff levels against other teams is a little more important and impressive.

Good article. Not going to sway any voters, but it's good to just remember how lucky we are to have this guy.

11. vince

vince Member

Yup, we got a legit MVP candidate and the Rangers got Tate, whom they’ve already traded away...

Bergman makes guys around him better, beyond his own WAR value. Rangers would have at least 10-15 more win right now. And the Astros would be sitting on about 90 wins.

12. vince

vince Member

That’s been my thinking too. But someone pointed out a stat recently that Trout has been slightly better than Bergman in even those high leverage AB. Either way Bergman will be at least an MVP runner up, which is more than most of us fans prognosticated when he was drafted. A lot of folks wanted him for particular trade bait.... Many fans were incensed after the Astros didn’t trade him for Sale; good hold Luhnow (dumb/er sly White Sox GM trying to ridicule the Astros that they were too in love with their prospects)...

Bergman keeps playing like this, he’s going to build a massive following nationally. And MVP will be easier to come by...

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dude, at least spell his name correctly once.

Did a mediocre pitcher from 20 years ago leave that much of an impression on you

everyday eddie, arkoe and CometsWin like this.
  15. vince

vince Member

My bad... I read that misspelling and it irked even me. I can only attribute it to an auto correct...

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My phone was autocorrecting to Bergman all the time until I added it to the dictionary. Even then it still does it at times. Technology...

#176 bobrek, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    vince likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Right. Bagwell also missed 50 games in his 4th season (wrist/strike).

18. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Wow, this just made me feel really old...

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Bagwell.... eight years later, Lance... eight years later, Hunter.... eight years later, Correa

20. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Bergman Berkman and Bregman combined like a super player?