1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice needed: How do you avoid hanging out in your hotel room on a business trip?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockbox, Aug 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just started a new job and I'll be travelling alot again. Actually its not technically a new job since I did this same job for the same company 4 years ago, but that is a different story.

The job is very cool since I am travelling the world on a decent expense account. All of my international travel will be business class or first class and I stay at fairly nice hotels. I'll possibly go to Tokyo, Sydney, Bejing and Dublin by the end of the year so its not like I'm going to Akron, Ohio or something

The problem is that by the time I get out of meetings and other work related stuff, eat dinner, and check my missed email and the bbs; I'm too tired and lazy to do anything. Also, it usually around 8pm before I really have time for myself so there isn't much to do except drink and hangovers on work days aren't so much fun.

I want to have more fun this time around so I don't get burned out on the travel like I did last time. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Hookers.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Will you have friends in the cities you travel to? That was the key for me. At my former employer, the local manager would take me out one or two nights and sometimes during the day while I was in town. My HQ position called for constant contact with people in the field and nearly all of them owed me some favors because I looked out for their interests.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Walk the cities and get a feel for them, the exercise will help you adjust to time change plus its better for you than drinking alone in the hotel room.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also take a few extra days in each city.....that gives you time to explore.

DD

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Disconnect the TV. Have the Maid (usually named "Lupe" or "María") hide the remote control.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Go down to the hotel bar. There are people there on business from all over the world with nothing else to do either.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd avoid having dinner anywhere near the hotel. Go into the city to find something.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Damn right. You can meet some really interesting people just sitting and the hotel bar and slamming drinks. And just put the drinks on your hotel tab and expense them. It's win-win.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

titty bars!

11. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Plus you can bone the women that are on business trips. True story.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I know the feeling and I agree with all posters above me regarding their advice ;).

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ladies...Just hanging out at bars and just people watch...if you get a lady of the night, so be it...

I always toured the city if I never been there before...Hotel Gym and Bar are my usual hangouts, but can get boring...

14. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Hookers won't get you out of the room.

I have a similar setup here at work (though I don't get to hit the asian cities - I'm jealous).

When you go on these trips, either get there a few days early or stay an extra few days on the weeekend before or after. That will give you a night to stay in and recover, and a day or two to explore.

Try to get friends to meet up with you in these destinations on those weekends, or sign up for group tours/events that will commit you to going.

15. Buck Turgidson

But he won't be hanging.

16. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Swoly....there are not a lot of "Lupe"s or "Maria"s in Tokyo. :D

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I usually do that when I'm in a cool town but its the normal days that kill me. I get so freaking bored sometimes and I don't like to drink on normal days unless I'm trying to convince somebody to buy something very very expensive. I'm older now and it takes days for me to recover.

I think I'm going to start taking my camera along and take a crap load of pictures. I'm also going to try to attend some basketball games in other towns besides houston.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Read your own signature. ;)

19. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Turn the computer off, turn the TV off, walk somewhere or get in the car and go for a drive. I love to explore strange cities. I've walked through Singapore, Philadelphia, and Manhattan. I've driven around Northern California and Southern California. I always liked staying over a weekend on business. I've even been brave enough to drink in a bar full of Raiders fans. They were playing the Titans so it wasn't like I was cheering against the Raiders.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bingo!!!
    NOthing beats walking if it is the type of city that you can see something walking. If not drive your car around to spots in the guide book.

Oh by the way I would like to have your problem for a while, but I know that travel can get tiring.