1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

85% want someone other than Mobley to take the final shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Guess they're all just a bunch of bashers, eh?

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, and apparently 74.9% of the people on this board are Hakeem bashers.... who knew?

------------------
    "Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    Work like you don't need money, love like
    you've never been hurt, and dance like no
    one's watching."

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Man my computer is acting weird, it won't post the edit! But again it's like people are excited when they see something negative about Mobley. I understand that he tends to have a bad shot selection, but he gets pounded, whether he has a good game or bad game. And it's like people can't stand the sight of him sometimes when he is playing, but he gets ripped and called a trader when he considered signing with Toronto. I don't know. Maybe it's a carry over from his missed shot against Utah.
    ------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 21, 2001).]

4. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

I am not haten on Francis, but when has he scored a clutch bucket at the end of the game to win it. I can can recall Mobley doing it plenty. Against New York, a duece with 7 seconds to go to win by one. He had a big bucket against Golden State late in the game, and against Philly, he had two big buckets, one off a Francis miss. Last year he had key shots against the Raptors and the Spurs. Granted we didn't win those, but he gave us a great chance. I know Mobley does take a lot of late game shots, but when he has it, I feel he will score or do something good with it.

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It is not a democracy!

Mobley still gets the ball.

6. heypartner

lol!!

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Many of them are. So many people are so wrapped up around the idea of Steve being the franchise player and the next big thing in the NBA that they can't take it when he doesn't get the ball in the clutch. The argument of many is to give the ball to your best player in the clutch. Imho, that's not right. You give it to your money player and the guy who plays best in those situations. Whether you like it or not, Cuttino Mobley is that player for our team. Cuttino has stepped up and taken the big shots since his first game in the NBA against Golden State. He's made a lot, and he's missed some too, but his percentage in those situations I'd bet is one of the top ones in the NBA. He has the experience. Furthermore, in the last minute of play isolations occur more times than not. Again, whether you like it or not, Cuttino is better in that area than Steve. He has a quicker first step, and draws double teams much more, no matter what reason you may claim that to be. That in turn can start ball movement around the perimeter and hopefully a wide open shot. And also, when has Francis stepped up with the big shot at the end? Not many times I can think of... it's always Mobley with the ball in his hands and he's made a heck of a lot of plays. Remember the great comeback in New York? Last seconds, down one, takes Spree (one of the best defenders in the league) right to the hole, gets the bucket, and we win. Too many fans have an allegiance to Dream for all he's done or an allegiance to Steve because he's the best player-- and they feel like they might be slighting him by picking another guard over him. But Cuttino has the experience, he wants the ball more, and has delivered much more than Francis. Mobley is, should be, and will be taking those final shots.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

When does someone other than Mobley take the last shot? It's hard for Steve to make them if he never takes them. I've seen Kenny Thomas take the shot more often than Steve in the last seconds. If Cuttino throws up enough last-second shots, he's going to make his share just by percentages. That doesn't prove that he's especially good or bad at it.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Clutch,

I tried to vote for Mobley and I think I accidentally voted for Dream. [​IMG]

Sam,

Now that is a funny signature.

------------------

10. heypartner

So Sam, what is your love life like, Italy or Switzerland. lol!

great sig! thx for pointing it out achebe.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I've always maintained that 90% of the world's human inhabitants are complete morons, but I need more evidence before I'll stipulate that we have a correlation.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

it's amazing to me how so many people in here love rudy t, and refuse to question his moves/game time decisions (out of deference to his superior basketball knowledge), yet will not even BEGIN to acknowledge or recognize rudy's preference for cuttino in "clutch" moments.

why do you think rudy selects for the cat to take those shots?

it's because he's the best, most efficient one-on-one player on the rox.

BAR NONE.

and if you'd rather someone else, then 85% of the people on this board just aren't as bright as rudy. or maybe they just left cuttino off their fantasy league team. or maybe they just aren't that bright at ALL.

the choice is so clear it's ridiculous.

1. francis stands a much larger chance of turning the ball over than cat.
    2. francis is less adept at creating contact than cat.
    3. cat creates his shots quicker than francis (that's rite dawg!)
    4. cat is a more reliable free throw shooter
    5. cat is physically stronger.
    6. cat is battle tested.

85%?

wow. there are plenty of optometrists in your area, i'm sure. or basketball clinics. or perhaps we can file through the clutchcity.net archives sections.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The sig is from a movie. One of my all-time favorite lines, even if it's a little long.

HP, it's been a little too Switzerland lately. Thanks for asking.

Achebe, at least you didn't accidentally vote for Pat Buchanan! He's the last guy I'd want taking our last second shot. Well, other than Tim Breaux.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Francis is an 85% free throw shooter, Cat is 82%.

------------------
    "Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    Work like you don't need money, love like
    you've never been hurt, and dance like no
    one's watching."

15. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

What he probably means is that he is more reliable at "crunchtime". I think it was in San Antonio where steve missed a crucial free throw to tie the game up.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

16. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Let them all be bashers, ultimately Rudy knows "the correct %" since for the most part he always goes with Cuttino.

Steve will have his time soon, though.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

there have been innumerable times down the stretch this season where steve missed fts.

i can't say the same for cat.

18. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

i think mobes is more keen to get a shot off than franchise. besides..mobes has already done it once this year (against the knicks)..dunno if stevie has won it for us yet on the final seconds..has he?

------------------
    if your wondering..killah=killer and flip=filipino..so please stop askin'..ohh and go rocks!!

19. Toast

Toast Member

Shoot, definitely give Mobley the ball at the end of the game. If you want someone who's going to shoot the ball, Mobley's your man.

Although, I do recall one game where Mobley dribbled the ball til the clock almost expired, then with about a second left passed it out of the double team to Mooch who threw in a prayer shot to bail The Cat out. What game was that?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

20. heypartner

killafhlip

I agree, but the counterargument is he doesn't get the chance.

Last second is not the whole story. It is last minute. Actually, I'd say last two minutes. Cuttino's success is even greater in that view.