1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What? You don't think trump lies often? Seriously? And you rather have his lies go unchecked?

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This is a peculiar argument. You are insisting that debates should be held, but at the same time appear to be arguing that the candidates should be free to not actually engage in a debate and any effort to turn it into a real debate is just meddling on the part of the “debate” organizers.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That there may not be an objectively “right” side on a given issue doesn’t mean that truth doesn’t exist, Two honest and equally informed people can agree on the facts and disagree on an issue because they have different values.

4. NewRoxFan

Tying together multiple threads... the interviewer here does a great job trying to get trump to understand the hypocrisy and dishonesty of his argument against mail-in voting. trump either is completely stupid or completely dishonest (I know, insert "why not both" meme). And this also shows why its important to have someone call out trump's lies in a debate. And... I don't care if Biden literally sits and drools for an hour, it would be better than allowing trump to do this during the debates.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right. He is either stupid or completely dishonest. I love how the interviewer calls him out with fact checks the entire time.

What infuriates me even more is that our Representatives for Texas are refusing to acknowledge the truth, even during a pandemic. They simply don't care if people don't want to put themselves at risk going inside a polling station where germs fly freely in a "no mask required" environment. It's disgusting and immoral.

Texans deserve the right to absentee vote!!!

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Althouse comments:

"But think this through: If Biden's people know that it's quite true that if Biden debates Trump, the debate will sink Biden's campaign, then it's at least as true that Biden must not debate Trump. And take that one step further: If we know that Biden must debate Trump but he does not, then we should infer that Biden's people knew that Biden was in no condition to debate Trump. That's information that we should use when we vote: The Democratic Party is asking us to vote for a person who lacks the mental capacity to serve as President! And yet, you know as well as I do, that many people will argue that we should vote for him anyway!"
    https://althouse.blogspot.com/2020/08/i-knew-this-was-coming-and-im-expecting.html

Corrosion and RayRay10 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if I pile speculation on top of speculation on top of speculation...

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

ignore at your peril ;)

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The point is Bush still won. If you're asking for ideological consistency from not just Trump supporters but really much of the electorate you're not going to find it. Remember many of Trump's most die hard supporters are ones that were all in for the Iraq war.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... you are in the fragile house that @Os Trigonum built.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... as long as CV-19 is controlling the narrative, then no.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I know right!
    Let's get back to the budget narrative: $3,800,000,000,000 deficit this year.
    They say Trump does a lot of #2's, but his budget deficit is #1!

Wait: there's $1.9 trillion of U.S. physical cash in the world. We spent twice that this year. In our deficit alone.

#2714 sirbaihu, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth is most people voting for Biden don't care about his mental capacity given the alternative.

But the big hole in Althouse logic is that if Biden didn't have the mental capacity to debate trump, how did he survive all the other debates just a few months back?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

because Klobuchar

RayRay10 and sirbaihu like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

He hasn't ever heard of Yosemite National Park before? yea, lets keep worrying about Joe Biden though...

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think that's up to Biden, Trump, and the economy/Covid 19.

Trump's destiny seems to be tied to a miracle happening regarding Covid 19 which then affects the economy. If we continue to see the trend line upwards it could eat into Trump's approval even more, and Biden can be aggressive with good messaging and a good campaign to continue to chip away at Trump's assumption of being good for the economy.

But yes, even Biden's campaign folks believe that regardless of what happens the race will tighten some because of the nature of the polarization of the electorate. If Biden is still up 9 points in late October something went really wrong for Trump or Biden performed really well in the home stretch & during the debates.

However it's important to note that early voting starts in about a month. If Trump doesn't move up in the polls NOW it's a pretty bad sign. Many people are going to start sending in their mail in votes soon, and start to early vote in states like NC. Yes the polls could show Trump "only" down 3 to 5 points before election day, but a slim margin that is needed for Biden to win Wisconsin, Michigan, NC, and Penn might have already voted.

If I was Trump's campaign adviser I would be telling him these next 3 weeks are make or break. I would also replace Mike Pence with a Republican woman the day after Biden announces his VP pick.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's true: Biden is losing his mind. He'll probably die in office. I'm voting for him anyway. Coz Trump wants to mess with the election.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The old man losing his mind > The old man that lost his mind

It is pretty depressing.

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.