1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nova, Abreu, Beer, and Gurriel for Stroman

This trade may be good or may be bad as those are basically just names to me with Gurriel to offset money for Stroman. Opens up a 40-man roster spot and opens door for a minor leaguer to get some at bats. Likely needs another move to get a 1B and get rid of an OF.

#1 Joe Joe, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I doubt Nova could fetch fair value given he hasn’t gotten out of short season ball. But I think your offer is in range. Maybe swap Cionel Perez for Nova, take out Gurriel, throw in Brandon Bailey, and just have Toronto eat Stromans salary.

Nook likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How much for a Vogelbach? He's basically 2/3s of a player. White could be the other 1/3.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Full list of players on expected out of contention teams who could help Houston:

SP: Marcus Stroman, Matthew Boyd, Carlos Rodon, Lance Lynn, Sonny Gray, Jameson Taillon, Chris Archer, Madison Bumgarner, Jeff Samardzija

RP: Ian Kennedy, Shane Greene, Mike Minor, Shawn Kelley, Raisel Iglesias, Wade Davis, Jake McGee, Mike Dunn, Bryan Shaw, Will Smith, Sam Dyson, Tony Watson

Catchers: Buster Posey, James McCann

Bats: Neil Walker, Justin Smoak, Nick Castellanos, Yonder Alonso, Shin-Soo Choo, Hunter Pence, Derek Dietrich, Daniel Murphy, Pablo Sandoval, Evan Longoria, Brandon Belt

Still tons of time so that list will change dramatically between now and the deadline.

Posey would be a huge get but it’s doubtful he gets moved. I like Castellanos and Murphy as bats. Will Smith would be dope in the bullpen before Pressly and Osuna. Houston is badass with acquiring SP so whoever they add I will expect big things from; Ive always liked Archer and Bumgarner.

Houstunna, raining threes and Nook like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have interest in Jameson Taillon of the Pirates.

Supposedly the Pirates will consider moving him closer to the deadline but are hoping he has a strong half to up his value.

Fits the Astros desire to have an arm under long term control with upside.

Pirates did very well in the Cole trade, so they may double dip (my speculation).

Would you do a Jameson Taillon and Felipe Vazquez deal for Kyle Tucker, Tyler White, Josh James and J.B Bauskaukas?

The names are just me speculating.... but JT is someone the Astros would like to have.

Vazquez is under control for 4 more years and 3 more years.

Most likely for payroll purposes the Astros would have to dump Gurrlel or Reddick.

Marteen, mikol13, Joshfast and 2 others like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would do that trade in a heartbeat. That’s an ace and a closer both with multiple years for 1 really good prospect with downside, 2 good pitching prospects with major downside, and a spare part. My hypothetical for Taillon/Vazquez would be Tucker, James, Bukauskas, Cionel Perez, Bryan Abreu, and Garrett Stubbs.

Nook likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Taillon's the guy I mentioned most in the offseason as a June target for the Stros, he checks off all the boxes.

Adding a starter does push Peacock back to the pen, which is wonderful and where he needs to be, but I'd love another late inning arm out there. You just killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

I approve of your trade.

SWTsig, Nook and whiskeyred like this.
  8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Would you guys rather trade better prospects for Stroman or lesser but still good prospects for Sanchez?
    Sanchez is 26 and making $3.9 mil and 1 more year of arbitration.

Also no to trading Corbin Martin!

9. Buck Turgidson

Which Sanchez?

There's also the MadBum/Watson (one or both) option. Always loved Stroman.

I'm good with these, yall make it happen.

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Aaron Sanchez of the Blue Jays. Another player on the block. And keep in mind, the Jays want prospects in Vladdy's age range. Would they get more if they traded Stroman/Sanchez separate from Smoak? Same with MadBum and Watson. Would the Giants just trade them separately? Also Watson is good friends with Cole right?

11. AstrosRockets1818

I know Bumgarner is a FA after this season. But if we don’t trade for him, another AL playoff team will.
    The Giants won’t deal him to LAD. Not sure about the rest of the NL since he wouldn’t be a long-term threat.

12. Buck Turgidson

How much of a ??? do the Stros consider him?

In Luhnow I trust.

13. Buck Turgidson

Damn, just saw that Kluber got his right ulna broken on a line drive comebacker tonight. Out indefinitely

14. awc713

awc713 Member

MadBum could push White for DH ABs

vonwafer234 and SWTsig like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dallas Keuchel inches closer to his phone.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2020 rotation of Verlander, Taillon, Whitley, McCullers, and Martin would be pretty sweet.

17. Milos

Milos Member

Taillon would be nice, but I'd prefer to be first in line to jump-start the Giants much-needed teardown at the deadline

The numbers work for the pitchers:
    MB - 1yr@$12M (prorated $4M for just AUG/SEP)
    TW - 1@3.5 (pro 1.2 + 2.5 Player Option 2020)
    Watson would be a bargain at 2.5 even if he opts in for 2020 and should replace Sipp adequately as a the LOOGY for playoffs
    MadBum would be an upgrade over DK as a third ace for the POs
    Next year we could let him walk with LMJ / Whitley / Corbin hopefully ready to fill out the rotation

Buster is a no-go with $70M left on his current deal for his age 32-35 seasons:
    2019 thru 21 - $22.2M each of next 3 yrs
    2022 - $22M Team Option or $3M buyout
    Unless they are willing to eat a big chunk of his remaining salary to clear the way for Joey Bart, who is about a month away from returning after his hand injury

Obviously Tucker & Whitley are off the board for a couple of 2-month rentals, even if MadBum is one of them
    Probably not giving up Yordan either
    JBB + Ronnie Dawson + Nova + Framber???
    Seems to be about the same value we gave up for 2 yrs of Gerrit Cole (Musgrove + Moran + Martin + Feliz)

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

Gurriel is still a major threat in the lineup no matter the subpar season. I don't like opening up that hole for questionable pitching. I'm not sure a trade really helps us this year unless it's prospects for talent. And I still like all of our major tradeable prospects James, Baus, and Tucker.

edwardc and arkoe like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I can put White, Alvarez or Brantley and not skip a beat.

A couple years ago before the injury, Yuli looked like he was close to breaking out and being a middle of the line up hitter. However, he has no approach at the plate and doesn't hit enough homers to make up for his lack of walks. You need more than a pedestrian 750-780 OPS from your 1st baseman. He needs to be in the 850 range and he has not done that.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Mattician

Mattician Member

A legit DH please.

Haven't the Astros gotten the least amount of production from the DH spot since moving to the AL? Maybe with the last of couple seasons it's changed.

everyday eddie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.