1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I would love to see a continuance of the Hereditary story. The same disturbing creepy story showing
    "what happens next with the boy and cult"
    (just in case someone is looking for suggestions here; didn't want to spoil it.) But if they did do another it will most likely be a simple remake with a new family.

edited to fix the spoiler tags

#8381 Blatz, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    KingCheetah likes this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

1917 - 9/10 - Simply a beautiful cinematographic piece with a masterful soundtrack to set the tone to a fairly straightforward plot with not quite the amount of action you'd might expect and doesn't play out necessarily the way you think it will, but has an development and ending that is entirely fitting and wonderfully done.

My only problem is with the actors' sometimes careless and naive behaviour, as if they are sometimes unaware of the danger and risks they take. It's not necessarily their acting as much as the decision of the director / writers to make them behave a certain way. An example is when they approach a structure and one of the actors stands in the doorway, clearly visible if any enemy would be around while the other is behind the wall which is of course the right way to approach it.

This does take away for me a bit of gravitating towards the characters as much as I would've wanted, though it somehow does fit one of the character's portrayal in the film. There's also one setting I didn't quite understand as it seemed to be shot in a studio, almost in a theatrical way. If it was done on purpose to set the tone of a certain scene or plot point then I can kind of understand, but with the preceding scene you'd think it is maybe as a consequence of it. You will know when you see or have seen it.

In general the setting, the cinematography made for some interesting shots and perspectives that made this movie different from other war movies and definitely warranted the Oscar.

Knives Out - 3/10 - Guess you really have to love the genre, but the weird accent from the main detective (James Bond) bothered me and how he was already so clever to figure everything out while the other official was completely naive. Aside from that, just not my type of film. Turned it off after half an hour. I would've liked them to find their father in real time and then try to figure out what happened themselves first. Or seeing their different stories one after the other or intertwined before the whole investigation.

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The 1917 mission was kind of realistic and cool. Def based upon true events.

I am okay with the acting, dang, if I watch them lower rank soldiers in the face, most look 16 or 17.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Kung Fu Hustle - 9/10

Watched this again last night, I had forgotten how much pure fun this movie is!

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hereditary is a great movie to watch multiple times because there are so many creepy bizarre things you miss the first time. Of course you have to be in the mood because it is definitely not a casual watch fun movie. I hope they continue the story as well -- they've created a very unique universe that needs to be explored.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coincidentally enough, 30 minutes in I was not very impressed with it either and I remember looking at my watch thinking calculating how many beers I can drink during the next hour and change. But not soon after, it did hit it's stride. And i actually don't think he figured anything out as quickly as you imply, it wasn't until later that it clicked for him. Then again, i was drinking...

7. JW86

JW86 Member

Thanks! Might give it a second chance then. I meant that he acts like he's smart and can put 2 and 2 together, while the other detective kept saying that's not enough, you're reaching.

8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

The final ten minutes of Knives Out salvaged it for me.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Midway 4/10- My biggest complaint is a movie titled Midway should have focused more on that battle. Instead, they started with US and Japanese negotiations, Pearl Harbor, Doolittle raid, Coral Sea, and then finally Midway. They practically skipped the Japanese counter attack against the US carriers. The battle felt rushed because they wasted so much time telling the history of the war up to that point.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

It’s one of those films where you have to let it fall into place as everything is being tied together.

I loved Daniel Craig’s acting in the film. He also doesn’t fully figure it out until the very end.

Watch it all the way through.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Command [Netflix]: 8 out of 10. Full disclosure, for some reason movies set in submarines always seem more tense, I guess in part they have so little room and the inherent dangers. Some of my favorite movies: Das Boot, The Enemy Below, Run Silent, Run Deep, K19: Widowmaker, and U-571 to name a few. And this one stands up well among them.

True story of a Russian submarine (the second good movie based on Russian military in the last few weeks, the other on Amazon Prime called T-34). Bad thing happens, and the story is partly focused on their own efforts to survive, the other the outside efforts and politics that come into play. Acting uneven but mostly good. Set and sound excellent.

12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Check out The Wolf's Call on Netflix. I really enjoyed it.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Term Life [Netflix]: 1 out of 10. Amazingly bad movie about a crook who gets falsely pinned with a crime, and what he does to make sure his estranged daughter safe and he lives long enough to get a life insurance policy he just bought for her.

Story sounds decent enough. And a famous cast - Vince Vaughn, Bill Paxton, Hailee Steinfield (True Grit), Terrence Howard, Mike Epps, Annabeth Gish, Jonathan Banks. But a horrible script and bad direction just kills this movie.

14. SemisolidSnake

I don't see many movies, but I remember that I did go see A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood a couple months ago.

I'd give it a 9/10. Really spoke to me. Just a good message to anyone and everyone, and I thought Tom Hanks did a great job. I cried during a lot of it. I might buy it. I didn't watch enough Mr. Rogers as a kid, and as adult, now I really want to go find some episodes and watch them.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

Heh, my first post was on page 420. I'll go ahead and say that I love Half Baked. It's been too long since I've seen it. Maybe I should go make it the most recent movie I've watched this afternoon.

My online friends and I have a tradition where we watch a terrible movie together every once in a while, usually for someone's birthday. A while back we all watched Reefer Madness. That is not an enjoyable movie. 2/10 and not even to close to in "so bad it's funny" territory. It's just bad, and actually more than a little depressing the way their fabricated plot exposing the evils of weed plays out. That movie is a legend in everyone's mind only because they haven't actually seen it.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Caught this last night and I thought it was entertaining. Crazy to think this was true. I hated that it was a dubbed version though. It was like I was a live action anime with all the over-yelling and over the top voice-over acting.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Charlie’s Angels 2/10 - That was mortifying, shockingly bad execution of a somewhat solid plot with quite a plethora of famous actors. Not worth your time. Music choice is dreadful, such an awful attempt at humour that I heard crickets, plot twist that you see coming miles away. Who even asked for a watered down reboot / remake..

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Joker - 6/10. Saw it on the plane. Really wasn't that interesting.

19. Buck Turgidson

Just re-watched The Proposition. Still love that movie.

And the answer is...?

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

Marriage Story (Netflix) - deals with the dissolution of a marriage between Driver and Johannson... though I've never been through the process... I thought it seemed super accurate and relatable.... fairly sad with some dark humor mixed in ... 8/10