1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you first realize this was a sinking ship?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, Feb 11, 2020.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The day we started Morey ball. Lost out I. Good talent cuz this basketball strategy. 2Pat, Morris, Lou Williams, Harrell.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're a ship? All this time I thought we were a banana boat.

"Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today!"

D-rock, Easy, tycoonchip and 3 others like this.
  3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Who cares?! Your opinion or my opinion about it doesn’t matter... you’re just gonna look for more evidence of you being right.... there’s a plethora of that. Harden and WB combined for 78 points last night against a streaking Celtics. Now can we beat the bucks? Dunno. We’ve beaten the lakers. They’re gonna adjust and maybe add 1 more piece at the goodwill market.

D-rock likes this.
  4. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

So you are the GM now, do better. Tell me your plan.

D-rock and coyotetex like this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You're honestly the worst type of person to get into a discussion with. Everything is framed in absolutes as if your opinion is OBVIOUSLY correct, with shades of gray within your correctness. "I know I'm right....but tell me if you agree with exactly HOW right I am?"

D-rock and Blurr#7 like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure about you but I know having 2 hof mvps absolutely sucks..i hate it sky = falling

D-rock likes this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol hate to break it to you buddy but we started Moreyball way before those guys came around.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

So it was strictly 3’s and layups in Hardens first years here?

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No, and it's not now either.

However, we always led the league in 3s and shot fewest midrange since he's been here.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You actually think other teams don't institute this same philosophy? And have you not watched this season?? Westbrook has a green light to basically take whatever mid-range he wants if it's in rhythm.

D-rock likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Look man, its not about rooting for the ship to sink...

Its about knowing when the culture has been created that promotes the tendencies necessary to be successful...

I spent a few decades running retail operations and much of that was taking over 'broken' stores and instilling the standards and practices to return those locations to optimum levels of profitability... and it was always about setting standards, making sure I had the personnel able to execute those standards and ensuring across the board compliance... creating a culture...

Obviously my endeavors are not the same as running a pro sports org - but there are parallels... I think someone like Pops is the template for creating a culture - granted results will fluctuate based on talent levels - but the standards are in place...

I admired the Sura/Scolandry/etc teams... they were limited on talent - but they gave it their all.

Once we started with 'cornerstones and role players' talk... and giving guys passes in 1 area bc they delivered in another area - that was the slippery slope...

I'm hopeful that we're heading in the right direction...
    Westbrook has a helluva work ethic!
    James (and really everybody) is putting in greater defensive effort...
    and I havent noticed him just hanging out at half court when he doesnt have the ball over the last few games... I think that whole thing was just an excuse to enable poor practices and WB calling James out got that rectified...

Some folks look at the numbers and decide if everything is good - I look at the tendencies and effort to see if we have a solid enough foundation to potentially go all the way...

[​IMG]

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

There’s always money in the banana stand.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don Nelson. Great Comedian.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

These are people who don’t watch anything but Rockets basketball.

16. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

When Donatas Motiejunas was let go. Then again when Zhao Qi got his knee busted by Louis Scola.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2009 was a pretty bad day

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Those 2 guys should have two (really 3) MVP's but they should all be Harden's.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

When we didn't pick up Ariza and decide to go after the cheapest option available in Ennis. The whole situation baffled me. That team was special and we didn't try to improve on it but instead went looking for cheaper options? If Ariza at midseason gets you Oubre at the 3 and still get EG off the bench. We might be looking at diff results last season.
    It is very rare that any team gets arguably one the top 5 players in the league much less two. At what point do you say I am going all in and try to win a championship for the city? The Houston Rockets is not a restaurant where you try to find the cheapest quality goods and sell at a ridiculous mark up rate to find ways to increase profit margins. Do that with the merchandise but not with the players.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

D-rock and Deckard like this.