1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Well duh?

The Astros weighed the risk and reward and decided the reward he brings in wins outweighed the risk of the negative attention he would bring to the team as an abuser.

However at some point she has to realize Osuna was looking at 6 months in jail at most. At some point Osuna would return to society. He would be walking around whether that be with the Astros or as a construction worker.

The Astros need to hire a professional PR firm.

He didn't apologize really, nor does he think he did anything wrong - and that is part of the problem.

The other side to that is, did Osuna really pay? The charges were dropped because he shipped the victim off to Mexico.

The women are right in the sense that the Astros really do not have a zero tolerance on domestic violence. There are exceptions if you are good enough.

Hinch is a very confident and cognizant person.

Wulaw Horn and prospecthugger like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And how is what this guy did supporting that story?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did she really.

That's really not a good look for her.

4. Nook

Nook Member

There lies the rub...... I know what handbooks say about social media. The question is whether or not it should be that way and whether or not it is an invasion of privacy..... also in fairness, is Foote doing this on a Chronicle twitter account? Does she post Chronicle related topics?

Right now we are in a time of change as far as what isn't and acceptable on social media and what rights people do and do not...... we can see it all over the world with protests and the like.

It is all very interesting to me...... and there is very much a worker's rights element to it.

Personally I got sick of the domestic violence hotline posts but I understood them....... but eventually I stopped looking at her posts because they were not baseball related. I have no issue with people expressing their beliefs but beware in sports, you can only do so much.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Good catch. They called it irresponsible reporting and misleading, but didn’t deny the events.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. DVauthrin

7. msn

msn Member

Granted. But that does not make her "trash", which was the statement I was taking objection with.

8. DVauthrin

I agree with you. People use the word trash to describe other people way too much these days. You see it all the time on social media when an athlete has a bad game. (So and so is trash, etc)

RocketJedi and msn like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He lost 2 million dollars in salary.

Not saying that makes it equal but he did have real consequences.

I really don't like having anything to do with looking like I am siding with an abuser but the leaps of logic on this case as a whole is troublesome without knowing the parties personally or what happened.

I have never hit a woman and don't think I ever would but **** happens and emotions can get the best of you.

Osuna could actually be a real scumbag and I still think this particular incident is overblown.

Its abundantly clear some of these reporters have an ax to grind and now everybody is piling on.

I hate outrage culture.

jcf, BigM, Houstunna and 2 others like this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So what’s your beef about the Astros’ wrong doing with her ?

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

12. DVauthrin

She was doing it from her verified, personal Twitter profile. Her Twitter bio clearly states she is a reporter for MLB.com.

Also, I happen to like Alyson Footer’s reporting a lot, and I’m a member of an Astros’ message board where she used to post a lot and provide good information about the team during her time covering them, so I have a soft spot for her.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He suffered financial consequences but did not suffer criminal consequences.

Some of it is obvious, a number of reporters are not and have not been happy that the Astros traded for someone that beat up the mother of his child. Also, as far as I know Osuna knows he is on thin ice and has stayed out of trouble.

Yeah I don't really agree with this part. Emotions don't get the best of you like that. You don't abuse women or children.

At this point it is about how the Astros handled the situation.

Absolute the reporters have an axe to grind and the executive for the Astros did as well....... and the Astros are tone deaf.

Depends on the outrage. I agree that too many pile on things but sometimes the outrage is necessary....... look at Jeffry Epstein or what is happening in Hong Kong and the rest of the world. Sometimes outrage is all we have.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I knew when I wrote does Osuna have to pay again that it would be looked at. I actually meant to rewrite that. We honestly don’t now what happened with Osuna so we don’t know if he needed to pay. No, I’m not burying my head in the sand. We honestly don’t know. Domestic violence is horrific and i’ll never be on the other side of it.

No Taubman didn’t apologize and that’s why I had apology in quotes. I think it’s ridiculous and I’m hoping that if he’s guilty of what was said, there should be some form of punishment up to termination.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't like Footer's content and have seldom found her reporting worth a damn...... but I don't really have an opinion of her as a person.

16. prospecthugger

Shouting a reporter at her workplace because she tweets a domestic violence hotline number doesn't exactly scream "I take domestic violence seriously."

The Astros traded for Osuna, knowing it would cause blowback. If Taubman can't handle criticism of the Astros for making ethically questionable moves, then he either needs to be a voice in the in front office oppose said moves, or find a different job.

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am just gonna say this, reporters should never have an ax to grind especially when they have been essentially baiting the subject.

Reporters should never be a part of the story IMO.

msn likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

We have a pretty good idea of what happened in the sense that a third party in a hotel called the police, the victim had "significant injuries" and Osuna was arrested and was going to stand trial for assault until Osuna met with her family and she ended up back in Mexico.

What we don't know is if this is the first time he hit or if it was often. I speculate because it was at a hotel, it likely wasn't the first but we don't know.

Fortunately for Osuna under Canadian law the photographs, statements and medical records are all sealed for as long as he wants them sealed.

19. Nook

Nook Member

There are and always have been reporters that have opinions, beliefs or agendas and a GOOD journalists follows and reports the facts regardless of whether it supports their biases.

This ISN'T on the media...... this is on the Houston Astros and their response to what one of their employees did.

As far as I know no one has come forward and said that the facts as presented by the initial reporter are wrong.

prospecthugger, Hey Now! and rhino17 like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you know that's why he shouted at her?

This is my total issue to many people are bringing there personal biases to this incident.

I have no issue with there being blow back what I have an issue is using this as a platform.

Its very interesting she scrubbed her twitter showing she posted DV numbers everytime Osuna pitched.