1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dems moved too far left

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Sep 22, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

former Obama official calling them out... that is how you know it's out of control.

2. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...not sure what to think about this important topic.

I thought we were not supposed to pay attention to "easy click mass media", yet you want me to watch a video instead of reading an article?

malakas likes this.
  3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

But the video is from the daily caller!!

malakas, JayGoogle and B-Bob like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Here's a video from Johnny Carson and Bob Uecker, possibly the greatest suit I've ever seen:

5. Buck Turgidson

What the **** is wrong with Carson's hair? I can't stop looking at it.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Obama and his admin were centrists lol.

Their big deal was... RomneyCare, a republican made healthcare plan that left tens of millions uninsured. He didn't raise the min wage, he didn't do any gun control reform, he took in record numbers of corporate elite money, he didn't legalize mar1juana, he didn't do immigration reform, he's known as deporter in chief, he supported TPP/NAFTA, he didn't end wars, in fact, he's king of drone bombing. What was progressive about him or his admin, besides his flamingly progressive skin color, and that he didn't hate gays?

I did appreciate the efforts in dabbling with green energy though.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

As a small criticism, I'd prefer the OP of any new thread in D&D to share some original thoughts rather than just paste stuff as if this is FB.

But the topic of the democratic party veering left is worth its own thread.

The polling on numerous subjects shows that America is ready for a step to the left. The proposals of the democratic candidates for president are merely a reflection of that.
    • The polling on 'Medicare for all' varies a great deal based on how it is proposed. If it is posed as single-payer universal healthcare, it polls extremely well. If posed as government healthcare that will replace your current plan, it polls around 50%.
    • Medicare 'for those who want it', i.e. the Public Option proposed by Obama over ten years ago, polls WAY above that. Sometimes over 70%
    • A majority of republican voters favor raising taxes on the rich. (Fox News poll!) Re-read that sentence ten times and let it sink in. Candidate Trump himself proposed raising taxes on the rich, more than once. Even though it was a of course a lie, he did it because he knew that the republican party's stance on taxes is unpopular even among republicans voters.
    • A majority of republicans favor universal background checks on gun purchases. Even a majority of NRA members do.
    • Access to abortion has polled majority since forever
    • Support for gay marriage, a once reliable rallying cry for social conservatives, is now so mainstream it's not even a topic.
    Not only do we live in a minority rule country, where the president has been elected by a minority of the voters, the supreme court's conservative majority is assured by appointees from presidents elected by a minority of voters, and congress and state legislatures are stacked with republican politicians who won elections rigged by gerrymandering; we live in a country where the elected republican leaders do not reflect the views of their own voters. A majority of republican voters support raising taxes on the rich and universal background checks, but within conservative media and among republican politicians, these are both unthinkable.

The truth is, the narratives of trickle-down economics and market-based healthcare are already dead; republicans just don't know it yet. They only have the failures of their own ideas to blame.

Taxing the rich is mainstream
    Public option healthcare is mainstream
    Gun control is mainstream

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Democrats should give less than a half f$ck about if the Daily Caller thinks they are too far left.

The Dems are a big tent and that creates some fractions like what we are seeing on impeachment but for the most part it’s a party than actually tackles positive big things (like Obamacare, gay marriage, formerly civil rights, social security, new deal, etc).

The modern Trump dictated Republican Party can do nothing like this. That’s why the party has to run on division via culture wars.

So don’t come talk to me about if the Dems have moved “too far”. The party only moves on items legislatively if there is mass appeal for those issues. It never passes big bills that aren’t massively appealing and that’s a good thing. The framers designed our government to be hard to make big change without mass appeal.

The other side only moves for legislative issues designed to line the pockets of their rich donors, pollute the earth, and sew hate & division with the other.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The source is an obama election official, you pool of drool.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Obama proposed to raise min wage, the CBO said 500K jobs would be lost and he couldn't get it though.
    Obama did gun control through EO's and import bans. He cried on TV begging to take away guns.
    Obama straight up legitimized illegal aliens through the dream act giving a path to citizenship.

I don't understand how you can actually believe what you are posting here.

Nook, cml750, biff17 and 1 other person like this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The video is of an Obama election official... not some editorial of the caller. And it is about those running moving left. Also both parties work for the rich and play off fear and hate etc ..... not sure if you were aware.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can not believe your lack of self awareness.

15. No Worries

Perhaps we should rename this thread ... Americans Moved Far Too Left

AleksandarN, FranchiseBlade and Nolen like this.
  16. Bandwagoner

If I got any of the facts wrong, please correct them. Otherwise correct the errors in the post I quoted.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Which party wants to overturn citizens united?

Which presidential candidate just released the most sweeping anti corruption bill proposal probably ever seen?

Which party passed HR1?

Yes... Democrats have corporate moderates that take money with the notion that they’ll scratch their back. Those representatives are a problem, but the fact is the party itself as a whole and the top tier candidates all are actually on record wanting to root out corruption while the other sides primary figurehead is Donald Freaking Trump.

Give me a break on the work for the rich bit. It’s not even close when you compare where each party is. Are the proposals too far left???... maybe but at least we believe in the Democratic process to allow for the Congress to debate and vote on bills that have mass appeal.

Look at what the House has passed that is sitting on the desk of Mitch and Trump.... HR1... Violence against women.... universal background checks (90% approval with Americans) etc etc.

These bills that PASS from the Democratic Party are mass appeal bills. Tell me one bill that passed the House that is too “far left”... please. This is a bullsh$t MSM talking point designed to spark a heated debate. In reality it’s not even close.

#17 dobro1229, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  18. No Worries

You posted partisan dribble. I see no value in correcting you.

19. Bandwagoner

No errors then. Thanks.

cml750 likes this.
  20. No Worries

We can add delusional to go with your lack of self awareness.