1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The media treatment of the Biden gaffes versus, say, the Yang platform is this: In Yang's case, MSNBC said essentially "Yang stands for these 6 things," which isn't true, while in Biden's case they say essentially, "We all know what Biden stands for, but did you know he might be senile???" I don't know how fair it really is to intimate that Biden might be senile, but he's going to have to do something to really kill that narrative because that's what Trump is going to hit him with every day if he's the nominee.

Here's an interesting article on 538 that argues that Biden's and Bernie's performance is not just name recognition. Not sure I totally believe it -- familiarity is more than a binary -- but I appreciate the analysis. It also, btw, has some name recognition % data in it and Biden and Bernie were tied, at least in Iowa. The article tries to normalize poll performance for name recognition with some math. My feeling is that new candidates need to be worn for awhile before voters feel comfortable with them. Biden feels like a known quantity, even if you don't hear from him what he stands for. We learned about Bernie in 2016, so now we're more comfortable he could be a valid choice. We've been hearing from Warren for several years now. But, will Yang still be here tomorrow? Will my neighbors ridicule me if I put a Yang sign in my yard? Knowing about Yang and liking Yang is not enough to feel socially validated in endorsing Yang. I'm not sure if simple name recognition really captures the social phenomenon.

Kim likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden doesn't inspire anyone he's just another old white male privileged politician representing the status quo.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw on FB that Joe Rogan is looking for Yang supporters for his performance in Minnesotal tomorrow. He wants volunteers to help him pass out Yang Bucks.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yang is a pretty smart guy but he is becoming a parody of himself. I like that he is bringing a very new idea to address the issue of automation but he is really sounding like a one trick pony. The solution to every problem is paying people.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

The treatment of Yang is based entire on that one instance it appears and you are ignoring everything else MSNBC is saying about him, which is entirely my point.

Anyway your entitled to your opinion I just disagree.

6. biff17

biff17 Member

So Yang guys how do you think he looked last night?

What is the point of this payment for the year?

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

To me he was trying to be something he wasn't...

Stick to what got you where you are...

T_Man

B-Bob likes this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

Seems like he is getting bad advice.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I admire Yang for his truly revolutionary ideas. I have a problem with his Yang Democracy dollar idea though. Won't groups and special interests just gather groups of people to all focus their dollars to candidates that will do their bidding? Won't make it more swampy?

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yeah something has changed and it's not a good change...

Right now none of the guys are giving me anyone that i want to vote for and that's not a good thing.

T_Man

biff17 likes this.
  11. biff17

biff17 Member

Yeah none of these candidates really inspire me but that's not what I need.

I want a candidate with good ideas, who has experience and can work with the system or change it within.

I like Warren because she is extremely intelligent and at least has a vision and I be she would be pragmatic, meaning something is better than nothing.

I like Biden because I think he could right the ship and not create a huge backlash meaning the pendulum would not swing so far in 20/24. But he has definitely lost his fastball and probably could get very little actually done.

I think Mayor Pete is the best of all worlds but he lacks experience and would be Obama light trying to bring a consensus when republicans will never let him.

I see him being a strong candidate in 20/24 or beyond.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm trying to not talk about how MSNBC treated Yang anymore.

I like UBI, but going Oprah at the debate looked pretty damn gimmicky. He got some attention, but I don't think it made him look any more viable.

It'd get hijacked by the established political players -- NRA, AARP, etc. And it'd be like trying to resolve a civil war by supplying more guns to the combatants. We'd just create an arms race. But I don't think the process can get more swampy -- you're just moving the advantage around inside the swamp.

I would rather regulate everyone's volume of political speech, but we can't effectively do that with the Constitution we have. So, while I think it's a bad idea, I honestly haven't heard a better one.

13. foh

foh Member

Do you see current POTUS playing by the rules when it comes to ethics? Or people like Conway, for that matter. How will candidates fight the incumbent even if the constitution allowed for "quiet period" when it comes to political speech and self-promotion. The incumbent is always at an advantage.

Sounds like you just called the idea the "best idea". There are no simple solutions in life anyway. If we can't get inspired by a "best idea", what's the point of even listening to these people.

Move the $$ advantage around and create organizations that will oppose the NRA and AARP, like the unions. In the end these organizations have to win the will of the people and that usually is a benefit to the people. Corporations/Oligarchs on the other hands are out for themselves and no one but them benefit significantly from their political aspirations.

14. VanityHalfBlack

This dude's numbers keeps going up after every debate, lol. It's funny cause he has the least amount of time to talk. Anyways, when is that one on one with Cruz gonna happen?

15. VanityHalfBlack

He's the monopoly man, lolol

16. biff17

biff17 Member

All the way up to 3%.

Whoa!

17. KingCheetah

Least amount of time to talk might be a good thing.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Have you checked who is always getting the most talking minutes during the debates? Unless you are blind, there is no question that the DNC wants Biden to win as it goes back to the old status quo. They did the same thing to Bernie Sanders last year and that is why Hillary was the candidate.
    On yesterday's debate, Biden got 17+ minutes of talking time while AY only got 7 (at the bottom). Check the other debates as well.
    Have you seen both CNN and MSNBC intentionally NOT show AY as one of the candidates?
    You have to be so naive to think that party's don't have a preference on who wins and will try their best that they give him/her the best chances including minimizing others.

It does not matter if the coverage is Negative. In the world of politics and election especially if you are an unknown, coverage is welcomed anytime.

19. KingCheetah

The front runner getting the most talking time/ questions -- has that ever happened before?

biff17 likes this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

So now the DNC is orchestrating the debates.

And it's at the expense of Yang.

How do those numbers stack up against Warren and Sanders or is everybody just out to get Yang?

You people.