1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Are you saying Trump supporters would rather not be outed for supporting Trump openly? Telling. Is it dangerous times for Trump supporters to be outed? Seems like it's the Trump supporters lately that have been doing all the mass shootings.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

For those that want gun control- what do you specifically want and what are you willing to compromise or accept at a minimum with regards to gun control ? I’m asking because as a responsible gun owner that enjoys shooting rights I want to know. I’m willing to meet those that oppose my views about the second amendment but I feel there needs to be a meet in the middle so to speak where maybe you don’t get everything you want and neither do I but at the very least something happens so we can “do something” .... I’ll go first - I prefer background checks that include private sales and increased waiting periods to deter bad people from doing this ... I’m willing to acquiesce limiting rifle and pistol mags to 20 rounds mags and turning in anything over -

3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

If they are invading your house on a false, trumped up charge, you should have the right and ability to defend yourself.

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I think you have a lot more fellow travelers that you think you do. Or, said another way, I don't think that this "island" you are on is so sparsely populated as you seem to think.

More generally -- and to me this is a valid criticism of the left -- you place way too much faith in the benevolence of government. You seem to think that if -only- the govt has guns, they will not seek to oppress their citizens. But they are already doing so, and the HPD shoot out fiasco is only one example.

5. Nook

Nook Member

No felons should own guns.

No gun show or private party sells.

Anyone convicted at the state level for domestic violence or any crime involving violence should be allowed to own a gun.

Limit the number of guns that someone can own, or make more hurdles for someone to own over a certain number of guns.

Require the purchase of "gun insurance"

Like a drivers license, make people get certified to own a gun and require they keep up on it or lose their guns.

Tax gun owners for violence committed by guns.

People with a history of psychiatric disorders cannot own guns.

Have hearings where a court can have an immediate hearing on someone that has made threats of violence using guns. It would be a temporary hearing where someone could have their guns returned in certain situations.

Allow for people that are killed by guns to sue gun manufacturers and the owners of stolen guns.

With these met, anyone over the age of 21 (not 18) should be allowed to purchase guns and use them in a responsible manner.

gifford1967 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

mick fry likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not asking about what rights people do or don't have. I asked if you felt that was the best way to solve the problem.

8. TheresTheDagger

Is this really the country you want to live in? Where your political beliefs are no longer private and the disclosure of them are at the whims of an opposing party candidate?

My goodness.

BruceAndre and Astrodome like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Next!

smokieethabear likes this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I mean when Trump is openly divisive and targets Democrats and people of color, it's kinda open game as the leader of the free world is childish enough to do it. It's sad you're outraged by the behavior and professionalism of a mayor of San Antonio over this compared to the ****ing leader of the free world. If Dems were outed for their support of AOC or whoever, I doubt they'd feel so threatened as Trump supporters victimize themselves for openly supporting the worst President in modern history.

Do you really feel endangered for being a Trump supporter yourself? Isn't it telling you're fearful of publicly supporting such an atrocious pitiful excuse of a human being? Are you legitimately fearful for being publicly outed yourself as a Trump supporter and think you'll be the victim of some non-existent leftist terrorism? Again, it seems like Trump supporters have been the ones doing mass shootings lately, and yet there is a fear among you guys for supporting Trump. I wonder why.

Anyone but Trash Trump 2020 donor here...

12. TheresTheDagger

Didn't answer my question so I'll take all the above as a massive deflection.

Its really simple. Do you want to live in a country where your private political beliefs can be outed by a candidate from the opposing party?

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

+ Ban/mandatory buyback on Military-style rifles, and potentially all semi-automatic weapons, there needs to be a serious talk on how necessary semiautomatic weapons are, and what limits on the rate of fire should be acceptable on them, if they should be found acceptable at all.

Also, emphasis on the license being similar to a driver license. 2-3 month classes, background check, training, paper test, physical test, mental test, fee's and taxes etc. With all that being necessary to renew every 2 or 3 years.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh, there is a difference between outing someone for voting and showing MAXIMUM Individual donations to campaigns public. There is a certain level of money transaction towards a political campaign that should be public to citizens because that helps us the citizen be informed on who each candidate is being financially backed by.

Should that threshold be Individual max donations? That is a valid question. I think you might be exaggerating what Castro did. He made max donations publicly available, not merely people who just voted.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. IVFL

IVFL Member

I am in a strange spot on this. I have a couple thoughts that are out there but think it may help.

Ban assault weapons, seriously what image does the name conjure up. Think about that. Now if you served in the military pass a psych test and were honorably discharged you can own this weapon. If you sell it to a non military person the weapon is confiscated and you lose this right.

Limit clip size. I think 20 is a bit large but would compromise on that.

Mandatory background checks with red flags such as felony’s spousal abuse and mental health issues being a no go.

No gun sales at gun shows or through private parties. Gifting to family is allowed but both people need to pass a background check.

Gun glasses and license for all gun owners. Tie this with a concealed weapons permit. Make a national concealed weapons permit that works in all states not the peace meal state by state stuff we have now.

Finally my most dramatic idea. Have gun safety taught at all schools. Have shooting clubs that focus on teaching the purpose of a gun. I see it all to often that you have these yahoos buying assault riffles for no other reason that a fake sense of power or as “compensation” for something that’s missing.

I live in Idaho and am aware of the value of a gun here. I dare any person who wants all guns banned to go backpacking with me in the Frank Church wilderness. Mountain Lions, Black Bears, and wolves are a major concern. A gun is a valuable tool out there. It has a definite purpose and need.

RayRay10, Nook, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

No. Islamic terrorism will do.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Oh my godness, what an awful take. He also listed their employer. What is he trying to incite by doxxing these folks? Unbelievably hypocritical.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually have always been against the "hate crime" label.

But domestic terrorism is legit. We need to empower the FBI to better fight against it.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

False equivalency is false

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get it, but I also understand why states would oppose that because it means they don't get to bring justice in their own state. From a political perspective, governors and attorneys and judges who face elections want it on their record that they "got em."

Nook likes this.