1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: CP3 is the biggest loser of the offseason. Thunder is better than Houston.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SAT Prep

SAT Prep Member

So remind me again who plays center for OKC if Adams gets hurt or (God-forbid) in foul trouble? Who is their back up 4 when PPat gets hurt? Anderson is really good at what he does. Stephen A (and this board) have a flair for the dramatic. We strengthened our point gaurd position, added a mid-range game, added two solid 3-D wings, still have the 6th man of the year, runner up MVP, Tarik to back up Clint if/when Nene needs rest/injury, Anderson who has his own gravity... Melo is good. But if they have an injury to pretty much any player, they are running a good starting 5 with D-league bench. This season is going to be so fun. Get pumped. Maury did a great job getting low key great role players and a hall of fame point guard.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't forget, we also lost a flashy, excellent one-on-one defender PG and merely replaced him with one whose defense is more solid in most aspects, but how also has otherworldly playmaking and midrange shooting talents, not to mention is recognized as one of the best floor generals in the game.

#142 topfive, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

And are going to do it again this season.

bawanyh likes this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

plus we already had one of the highest bball iq teams thanks to MDA, Harden, & Ariza now thanks to CP3 we prolly even doubled that

5. MystikArkitect

We're better than last year.

They're better than last year.

Spurs are worse than last year.

Really really hoping the Wolves take a huge step forward so the Warriors will have issues in then WCD and WCF.

Rounding out with the Blazers, Clippers and Nuggets.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

cheese doodlez is the real loser here.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Homerism? I'm not being a homer I'm being realistic. You're the one who is living in NBA 2k world since you think just because a guy has a "star" tag he would automatically make the team better even if you give up too much.

What has Melo done in recent years? If he was any good he would have lifted Knicks to the playoffs given how weak the East was last year, couldn't even do that. The only reason I would want him is to upgrade Anderson, and even then it would only be a marginal improvement because Melo is even more overpaid than Anderson is.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

didn't espn rate melo the 64th best player the other week?

9. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Winning 2 rounds in the Western Conference is actually pretty good. I'd have no problem with that.

I mean do any of you really think the Rockets are going to win the FInals? I don't really think so.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yep. He will score but we will need to do some dirty work cause okc lacking relevant role players after their big 3.

11. vlaurelio

plus PG with a better supporting cast than Harden can only muster 42 wins/7th seed the leastern conference

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Hurts to admit it, but I think he's right. Melo isn't a star anymore, but Kanter was absolutely horrible for them in the playoffs. He was literally unplayable and they dumped him for a scoring option that can take pressure off of Westbrook and PG. I think that trio will work. Melo is ball dominant but he can play off others the way we hoped he would here. They upgraded Oladipo to George and replaced Gibson/Sabonis with Patterson. Spacing will no longer be an issue. They will be an extremely tough out.

We improved with the CP3 acquisition too, but I think we're lacking that killer third option which limits our ceiling even if our bench is insanely deep. I didn't even like Melo as a fit, only that he was a clear upgrade over Anderson. And I'm upset that OKC got a whole lot better when we were supposed to be in the drivers seat. We're anywhere from 2-4 seed and have a punchers chance at the WCF. I'm okay with that for now. We'll just need to see what shakes loose at the trade deadline.

13. engr chris

engr chris Member

We can only hope for a Capela breakout season or else he will be right. 2 and out

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When CP3 came . .. . i distinctly remember them mentioning MELO . . . .. . NOT!!!!!

Rocket River

15. vlaurelio

yep but that's when they thought he was goin to the rockets not OKC :D

Snow Villiers likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo will want his touches lol...Russ better not hog the rock

Deuce, Nook, BigMaloe and 1 other person like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think A Smith is right. He is a hardcore Melo fan obv he would say OKC was a contender. If the Rox traded for Melo he would say Rox is better than GSW. Cp3 technically already became a loser because he should've been traded for Irvung straight up.

OKC def got better but Presti took on a lot of risk, he got PG and Melo on 25 cents on the dollar simply because they are big risks to leave in 1 year. It is almost a guarantee PG will leave for the lakers and I doubt Melo stays as well. None of Melo, Brodie and PG are prolific 3 pt shooters so I think spacing will still be a huge problem for them unless 1 of them decides to be a dedicated 3 pt shooter. We will see but tbh I think Spurs are still the bigger threat to be the WCF opponent of GSW.

#157 roslolian, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  18. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Yeah I don't play 2k but just the fact he can create his own shot in the last seconds is more of a skill set that we need. I'm not here to debate with you I love my Rockets I wanted Melo, so what? I called you a homer because we all have our opinions but you are lmao at my opinion because you are some basketball guru that knows best. Talking about I live in a 2k world. No one will know till the time comes but I do know last years Rockets and the the MVP runner up became a mental midget again. It all looks good during the regular season so if you're happy with it that's your preference, but don't ever disrespect anyone's opinion. End of story

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Excellent

20. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

It's possible, but I like Houston's chances.