1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons new logo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Jul 19, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I agree with everyone in here it's a boring logo and that 96-01 & 01-05 is the best one. It is one of the few iconic 'cartoony' 90s logos that actually looked great and was fierce. I prefer the second one with the red and blue colours. If they tone down the pipes and make the horse a bit tighter, smaller I think this could've been the best re-invented logo in the league.

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

That's not saying much. I know there's some nostalgia for all the hideous cartoon logos and uniforms of the late 90s, but all that garbage can stay gone forever as far as I'm concerned. I blame the dildo pajamas for all the bad luck and disappointing years after the second championship. They were a curse.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The horse sucks. The current boring logo looks the best. I prefer the old font to the current, but it's pretty minor.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like it way better than the shitty 90s teal horse.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Looking clean!

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

this "fan" logo is better than anything in the pistons logo history
    [​IMG]

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

WOW!! Make that orange red, add some fire to the eyes and it's definitely the best Pistons logo ever. The main reason why is it actually looks like it could be an automobile logo. One of those that used to be above the grill on top of the car. In fact, the lower part is the car and the piston is the emblem.

8. onreego

onreego Member

Something about this makes me think it would look awkward on certain things, i.e. the court. It's nice but as a sports logo I'm not sure. Maybe with some adjustments to the wings.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Actually, this alternate of 01-05 with the name Pistons over it would've been the best:

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i agree it's timeless. looks vintage and new all at the same time.
    i think all logos fall in this trap which is why you need secondary logos. we've got the R Hoop and the HR for example.

11. onreego

onreego Member

True but our logo isn't the best example to compare to anything. Lol

I think as the designer for a sports team they'd have to be thinking of the whole system for the main logo and not lean on secondary ones to pull the brand across. Once you found a successful solution then you can expand it with the secondary and tertiary logos.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

That guys name is Michael Weinstein and he's got some other really cool concepts. http://www.michael-weinstein.com/projects/nba-logo-redesigns/
    I LOVE his Suns concept
    [​IMG]
    His Houston Rockets concept I posted over in the "not again" thread was well liked as well:
    [​IMG]
    Warriors are dope too
    [​IMG]

bilaal14 likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

The problem is sometimes those logos just don't match the aesthetic, that Warriors logo is fine, but the majority of his would need every team to do an overhall in the same aesthetic. One of the beautiful things about the NFL is their team logos all seem very similar in aesthetic as if 1 person designed them all.

Take this mavs concept. It's one of my fave conecpts I've ever seen for them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's beautiful work. The problem is that it's too busy in comparison to a lot of the other NBA logos.

Take a look at the early to mid 90s pre cartoon era. All the logos had that same aesthetic and I think it makes everything look cleaner and more professional. I think it's what the league is trying to do right now by making most teams roundels or shields.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Any good photoshoppers out there that could do the following?

Take our iconic logo from the championship era (as per below). Then replace the "Houston" text with either of the Houston texts in the examples I've posted below. Then replace the "rockets" text with our current rockets font.
    [​IMG]
    "HOUSTON" text. replace with either one of these (try either variation?).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

"ROCKETS" Text, use this one:
    [​IMG]

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Hey Maury, hire your own photoshop guy. Pffft.

dakeem1 likes this.
  16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Was gonna say the flaming horse was both hated and loved, as evidenced here. Plenty people bash it as the ugliest logo/uni of the period.

I personally liked the cartoony horse look. There was actually some minimalism to the uni scheme, a bold solid blue color all around with light trim and the logo, just the logo was oversized. I like subtler "timeless" looks too, but like in the Rockets case it can bland and lazy looking.

17. War Machine

War Machine Member

Boring and bland. Just tried to emulate their Bad Boys-era logo, but it looks significantly worse. Thumbs down.