1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-Time NBA draft; Semi's Matchup #4

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by 123Rockets, Jun 7, 2012.

1. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Fallenpheonix vs VBG

Team Fallenpheonix
    PG: Mark Price
    SG: Allen Iverson
    SF: Dennis Rodman
    PF: Tim Duncan
    C: David Robinson

Bench:
    SG/SF: Alex English
    SF/PF: Dave DeBusschere
    C/PF: Ben Wallace

Team VBG
    Current Team -
    PG - Chris Paul
    SG - Ray Allen
    SF - Elgin Baylor
    PF - Bob McAdoo
    C- Bill Russel
    Bench - Bernard King, Chris Webber, Ron Artest

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

good luck

fallenphoenix*

3. VBG

VBG Member

Interesting matchup. I think I have the fit advantage. My team should play well together but let's see what the judges think

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

ROFLOL

VBG, did you get some sort of bye in the first round too? How did you manage that????

And what are you thinking man? Why aren't you starting Bernard King and Chris Weber? They are miles better than Baylor and McAdoo. First of all, McAdoo was a one-way player. He couldn't D up to save his life. And Baylor was an inefficient jump shooter. Dude, for goodness sake. You got Paul running the point. Give him some guys that can score the ball on the fly. Russell and Paul are great. But Russell wasn't a PnR guy. The only guy on the roster that can run PnR with Paul is Weber and Weber was really best as a playmaker running PnP. Don't see the chemistry here.

VBG can't even start the right guys. How's he gonna coach them to a win against all that D? McAdoo was soft. He's not gonna grind down low. Baylor was severely undersized and once again another poor jump shooter that took a ton of shots.

Fallen Phoenix wins this game with the score being something like 72-59 as their defense is like a huge boa constrictor.

5. VBG

VBG Member

Ineteresting, I was thinking with Russel, McAdoo's defense wouldn't look as bad and he could run the pick and pop perfectly with CP3 (Kinda like David West but better). McAdoo and Baylor were great rebounders as well and so was Russel.

Baylor in a team like this wouldn't have to shoot quite as much and has a fantastic PG and Ray Allen/McAdoo giving great spacing for him to play his game. He wasn't that inefficient.

I was hoping for Bernard King to be my microwave off the bench and if he was playing well I would keep him in instead of Baylor.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

VBG in a landslide. Great looking team.

7. fallenphoenix

debatable

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Backcourt vs Backcourt
    Chris Paul & Ray Allen...damn. Mark Price & A.I. Looks ok in comparison. Both Price and Allen are 3 point shooters, the difference is that in his prime, Allen had that athletic bounce in his step and also took it to the hoop regularly. I thought
    A.I is the difference maker here. He took a Philly team to the Finals with Aaron Mckie...but I just can't take mark Price over Paul...
    VBG

Frontcourt vs Frontcourt
    This is where Tim Duncan saves the day. Bob McAdoooooo could score, but he played tree stump defence. Russell would stop both Robinson and Duncan, but not at the same time.
    Baylor was an athletic ace, but Rodman would slow him down a little, but not much. I can see Baylor overpowering Rodman on a few occasions.
    I can't stand that Dirty River town, but...
    FallenPheonix

Best team defence
    Russell plays great D done low, Paul can steal the ball, but the rest? Artest was a lock down defender, but he is coming off the bench.
    Rodman, Duncan, The Admiral and Ben Wallace...
    FallenPheonix

Best team offence
    This came close to a tie, but in a matchup Duncan and Robinson would destroy this team down low, for reasons already mentioned. A.I. Would tear strips of the back court of Paul & Allen. Then you have English and DaBush off the bench.
    But in saying that, Paul runs the point very well. Allen can shoot lights out. McAdoo & Baylor were top notch scorers. King, Webber & Artest off the bench...
    That tips it in VBG's favour.
    VBG'S

Best team bench
    I like the deep, versatile bench of VBG. In a game of 3on3 of the bench bandits, VBG wins.
    VBG

Inside scoring
    As mentioned above, Duncan and Robinson...the weak link here is Rodman, but the same can be said of Russell's offence.
    FallenPheonix

Outside scoring
    Ray Allen is a legendary 3 point shooter...nuff said.
    VBG

I admit that I love the low post center game. At first glance this looked like a win for the San Antonio duo, but if they couldn't get it done, who would they pass too?
    Russell has more Rings than fingers...

VBG big upset in 7

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

FallenPheonix wins a close one. He has the dominant, defensive bigs. He has a really good Point Guard, which lets A.I. finally play his natural position (although he would really struggle on defense), and a smothering, physical, rebounding presence at SF. He would own the rebounding category, which would result in more opportunities for his team, and way less for VBG. VBG does have an elite PG, and a great shooter to space the floor, which is very important, and a great Center, FallenPheonix's team is too much on D.

10. fallenphoenix

fallen - 2
    VBG - 1

11. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

PG: This matchup convincingly goes to VBG. Paul is such a great 2-way player, and would have Price in fits, assuming he could stop Price from getting hot from deep, which I think Paul has the closeout ability to do. VBG

SG: Two amazing shooters, but Iverson is the more versatile scorer. However, I really like Allen in this matchup. Clearly, FP's team will stop anything down low, so Allen/Paul would have to be knocking down their outside shots in order to win the game. I said in FPs last matchup that the only way a team can compete with him is if he goes against some amazing outside scorers. Ray Allen is arguably the greatest 3pt shooter of all time, so I will give a slight edge to VBG due to how he would be used on the team.

SF: Ugh, I think this matchup is a tough one to judge. First of all, Rodman is clearly the 5th option offensively, so he would use all of his energy against a high-volume shooter in Baylor. Elgin didn't shoot at the highest efficiency, but he did get to the line quite often. Superstar calls aside, I think that Rodman would be able to handle this matchup very well, but the fact that he would struggle putting points on the board makes me have to call this matchup darn near a tie. If forced to go either way, I'd have to side with FallenPhoenix

PF: Another great matchup; Both players were incredible offensively, but Duncan has the advantage in rebounds and blocks. Duncan also has enough of a height advantage to bother McAdoo in this pairing. Overall, I am going to have to go with Duncan and FallenPhoenix simply because Duncan was the better all-around player, and with how long Duncan kept up his consistent numbers.

C: Two great centers going against each other. Russell is a little more talented on the glass (although these numbers are certainly skewed), but Robinson is the better, more efficient scorer down low. Robinson also has the chemistry mixed with Duncan which you cannot simply toss out. I think the slightest of advantages has to go to FallenPhoenix here because Robinson's team would absolutely dominate the glass as a whole.

Overall, the matchup goes to FallenPhoenix in what would be a close, hard-fought series.

12. VBG

VBG Member

Really surprised how low of an opinion people have on Elgin Baylor and Bill Russel. Seems like I blew my first two picks.

13. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

You had lebron. Blown trade

14. VBG

VBG Member

Yeah, in my research most people had Baylor in their top 20. Slam Magazine had him at 12. He was clearly the alpha dog over Jerry West before he messed up his knee. He averaged 38 and 18.6 in a season adn 35 and 19.5.

And now apparently Rodman is better

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

...not everyone thinks that way.

16. VBG

VBG Member

I know. Really appreciate the vote. Thanks man

I was really surprised by the view on Baylor overall though.

17. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

You aren't retiring like spooner, right?

18. VBG

VBG Member

Nah, I made a mistake that's all. Not gonna do it next time. I honestly thought I made a good team with good fit.

19. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

I think Elgin is a great player!

20. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Okay

Fallen:3
    VBG:1