1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Watt Extension Prediction

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pugsly8422, Jan 15, 2014.

1. StevieCrossover

Once he signs the extention, he'll get injured. Just like Foster

2. Remii

Remii Member

But, but he has no leverage :grin: The Texans hold all the cards. They can either give him a new contract, or J.J. can just man up and honor the contract he's under now. He can't force the Texans to do anything.

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

JJ seems like the type of player that understands money management and brand development. He also seems like the type of guy that understands his big payday also effects the kind of team that the Texans can put around him. With wise spending and investing, he already has enough money as it is now to live comfortabley for the rest of his life. I could totally see JJ giving the Texans a discount so that they can build a better team. Kind of like Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker did in SA.

But then again, its not my money so.......

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's stuck with his deal for at least one more year, but he has a lot more leverage than Johnson because he's just now entering his prime rather than being at the very end of his career. I think next off-season he gets a HUGE deal.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He could easily deflect those questions (Arian could help him); he's choosing to comment on it for a reason. And within those comments, he is very clearly saying, "Pay me. A lot."

6. Hey Now!

Trying to force - happier? Whatever...

7. Hey Now!

Uh-huh... and that's why Bo Jackson was unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame…

He’s the best defensive player in football. He's very likely is in the midst of a historically great run. But the Texans would be absolute fools to sacrifice their leverage and overpay him right now.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Better than signing him to a big contract right after an injury without waiting to see how he plays (Schaub)

9. Remii

Remii Member

And if he wants to get paid a lot _ what's wrong with that...??? It's just the business.

Cushing :confused:

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Watt doesn't need a big extension, he's rolling in HEB and Yahoo endorsement monies.

11. Hey Now!

Nothing. When/where did I ever say there was anything wrong with it? But if people want to blindly align themselves with JJ here because they love the guy - also OK but it's ignoring the fact that him trying to force a deal right now is a me-first act. Again, fine by me - I don't really care. But the consistent narrative throughout this thread is that Texans are in the wrong; that they always screw this up; that he's going to leave; that they should write him a blank check; etc.

12. Hey Now!

You don't understand leverage... Because of that injury, they were able to sign a very good QB - perhaps even a great QB (remember, this is when 99.9999999% of us thought they were a Lincfranc injury away from the Super Bowl) to a team-friendly deal.

I know nothing involving Matt Schaub will EVER be viewed as anything other than an unmitigated disaster... but I said it then and I'll say it now with even greater confidence: I'd rather be the Texans than Ravens right now. And that extension removed the possibility that the Texans could be the Ravens...

#192 Hey Now!, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're a masochist.

14. Hey Now!

And so are the Ravens for so wildly overpaying for their exceedingly mediocre QB. They're basically stuck with him these next two years and the have to eat $25MM to avoid paying him $28MM in 2016.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Well, what do you think the Texans should do...?

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is nuts. The Ravens paid the price for fielding a Super Bowl champ. Our teams have never ever sniffed the Super Bowl. Ever. Like never...ever. They haven't even sniffed the game you have to win to get in to the Super Bowl.

I'd gladly trade franchises with the Baltimore fans.

17. Buck Turgidson

Bo Jackson is not in the Hall of Fame.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think that was his point...

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We sniffed the latter until Jacoby muffed that punt...

20. Hey Now!

I meant moving forward... I would take the Super Bowl and the fall I think the Ravens are about to experience, too - but wiping the slate clean, from this day forward, I'd rather be the Texans.