1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bangin' like Charlie Watts: quits the Stones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Sep 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=9154_EXCLUSIVE:_Charlie_Watts_Quits_The_Rolling_Stones

---

EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Watts Quits The Rolling Stones

by Paul Cashmere - September 2 2009
    photo by Ros O'Gorman

Undercover has learned that Charlie Watts has quit The Rolling Stones.

A source within the Stones inner-circle says, “Charlie Watts has quit the band. He will never record or tour with the band again”.

The news does not come as a surprise. It was common knowledge that Keith Richards had to talk Charlie into contributing to the A Bigger Bang tour but this time it seems there is no calling Charlie back to active duty.

“The Stones are looking to Keith's Expensive Winos drummer Charlie Drayton to fill the void in all future Stones' callings,” our source says.

With Mick Jagger planning more Stones activity next year, the departure of Charlie will be a huge blow to the band. Charlie was the backbone of the band.

The 68-year old drummer simply doesn't want to do it anymore.

Charlie joined the Rolling Stones in January, 1963. He didn’t expect it would last. In fact, he kept his day job for several months until the band started to feel like a career.

Charlie’s decision to quit the band comes a three years short of the Stones 50th anniversary.

The Stones A Bigger Bang tour ran from August 2005 to August 2007. It was the highest tour of all-time.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

someone told me last night that jack white was going to produce their new album.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Rolling Stones official denies Watts quits the band

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has not quit the band, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday, denying a news report from Australia.

The report, from the normally credible online outlet Undercover (http://www.undercover.com.au), stirred up a worldwide panic among fans, since Watts' departure would likely mean the end of the venerable group.

"Contrary to a fabricated story that ran this morning on a small music web site in Australia, drummer Charlie Watts has not left The Rolling Stones," spokeswoman Fran Curtis said in an emailed statement.

The Undercover report, attributed to "a source within the Stones inner-circle says," said Watts will never record or tour with the band again. It said the Stones were looking to replace him with New York session drummer Charlie Drayton, who has played on solo projects with Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

The Rolling Stones, which Watts joined in 1963 after a stint in the advertising world, have not released a new album since 2005's poor-selling "A Bigger Bang." Their last tour ended in London in August 2007. Future plans are unknown.

Watts, 68, does not contribute to the songwriting, but his spare, jazz-influenced drumming style is considered key to the band's success. He is closely involved in the design of the band's stage sets and merchandising, and gets the loudest cheers when the four members are introduced in concert.

He was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2004, but it went into remission, and the band embarked on a three-year world tour the following year. During the 1980s, the famously clean-living drummer fought a drug addiction at a time when the band had essentially broken up.

Watts has traditionally been the most reluctant to tour, since he hates to leave his wife and Arabian horses at the couple's horse-breeding farm in Devonshire. The media-shy grandfather generally avoids the spotlight, and seems disdainful of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

"Worked five years, and 20 years hangin' around," he glumly told a TV reporter while on tour during the 1980s.

Watts' eccentricities are part of the band's legend, such as tales that he owns a huge vintage-car collection but not a driver license, and allows horses to wander through the house. He also has a darker side, once punching Mick Jagger almost unconscious after the singer referred to him as "my drummer."

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank god the "rumor" wasn't true. If Charlie leaves, that's it for the Stones.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I wish the Rolling Stones quit the Rolling Stones...about 37 years ago.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he could get another gig:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqlM8jT1fFo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqlM8jT1fFo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I'm guessing you haven't seen them live in the last 10 years or so. If they aren't the best live act on the planet, I don't know who is.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Charlie certainly could. He's always been slightly underrated by the general public, in my opinion, who tend to glam onto Mick, Keith (and Brian, when he was living) and their antics. Charlie and Bill were the rocks that allowed them the freedom to do their thing. Well, Charlie Watts is far beyond that. They could survive losing Brian Jones and Bill Wyman, but Charlie cannot be replaced. As much as any of them, he is the Rolling Stones.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I saw Shine a Light, and it was embarrassing.

Haven't seen them live live, though.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Charlie might be the only drummer in the world who is less animated than me when he plays...

Very underrated drummer though. I remember Keith once saying he would never play with another drummer besides Charlie.

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Yeah, but you graduated college in '62, so you're both pretty lethargic. ;)

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I have enough drummer blues as it is right now. Mine is being deported back to Cote Ivoire. I hope to God this isn't true.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think anyone who saw their Super Bowl halftime show knows how ridiculous that sounds.

15. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I never judge a band based on how they sound live on TV. Most of the time the mix is horrible. Besides that, I've seen many bands have crappy halftime shows. The only one that ever blew me away is Prince, but that shouldn't come as a shock.

Haven't seen Shine A Light, so I can't comment on that.