1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

House...said he had "my mind made up before the end of the season."

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If House had it in his head he was gone before the end of the season, then let him go. He obviously isn't happy here, and we don't need someone in the lockerroom preaching sedition. Ironically, I figured hiring Sampson (a competent coach) would encourage him to stay. Guess I was wrong. Truthfully, the team won't miss him. He's a me-first player who can only succeed when the offense runs through him, that kind of guy can easily be replaced.

Thomas, on the otherhand, is very disappointing to hear. I hope it's just a kneejerk reaction on his part. Losing the only coach you've ever known has to be tough, but leaving on the cusp of your senior year when you're the best player on the team is a significant blow and not good for either party. He's a great guy and I want him in Cougar Red. Let him and Sampson sit down and hash things out. I think they can make it work.

No matter what happens, Sampson is an elite coach and we will be fine in the long un.

3. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Oh..missed that. Still sad though, we missed Joe Young when he left to Oregon, his offense was a big part of our team and so is House, i hope we find a good replacement for him.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

In retrospect, kicking Joe and Michael Young out the door was a good thing. Joe Young might have actually made this team competitive, which would have given the illusion that Dickey knew what he was doing. And thus no Sampson hire. It worked out for all involved (except Dickey).

5. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, House made up his mind before the season ended. He was running his mouth to assistants that he was ready for the NBA. The meeting between House and Sampson was supposedly not a good one.

As far as Thomas is concerned, he is being lead by his father and uncle. They want him to play the three because they think he will be a three in the NBA. Ever since he walked onto the campus that is what he wanted to play. His family has spoken to some NBA scouts. There is NBA interest in Thomas, but ONLY if his game continues to develop. Sampson would not promise Thomas time at the 3.

The Coogs have had some pretty good players come through the program the last few years; with Young, Thomas, House and Knowles. It is sad that most (maybe all) won't be back or have last in the last few years. Having said that, Sampson made it very clear that the Coogs will no longer promise guys like House complete run of the team... it is a team game.

Don't be stunned if Knowles leaves as well. Honestly, I would have rather had House and Thomas around, but they both have had a real issue buying into the team concept since they entered the league. Ultimately, I expect the Coogs to be fine.... like you said, Sampson is an elite college coach.... it won't take long for him to bring in talent on par, or above House and Young.

6. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Thomas at the 3? No way that would even work, he doesn't have the skillset to be a 3, but too short to be a 4.

7. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

You have a coach coming in who can help you develop your game for the next level and you want to leave. I would think that is what you would want. Especially House, he has a lot of potential, the key word being potential but he has a lot of mental and physical developing to do. I'm glad Sampson is taking a stand though that is what a coach should do!

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I can see his role in the NBA easily being a 4 that plays like a 3. Kind of like a Morris twin.

The NBA is all about small ball, anyway.

Either way, I think it is best for his NBA career to lead the charge for Sampson's Cougars as a senior.

That's a high profile gig that will put pro scout eyeballs on him.

9. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Now our top recruit PG Jaquel Richmond wants his release also. CRAP!!!

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

One things for sure about Sampson - dude is a hard nosed coach. He's not into the entitled, soft mentality that a lot of players have and he's not going to sugar coat it for these people. The sad thing is, that type of a coach is what a soft, undisciplined player like House needs to maximize his potential.

Also, I don't think its coincidental that there has been so much attention on how Sampson is going to run a clean program and these dudes want to leave. Seems like there are some hangers ons that have their ears.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Only source I see is on Twitter, hopefully it isn't true but we'll see

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Maybe the way things ended in Indiana could make players not want to play for Sampson? Hope that is untrue, he is quite an accomplished coach.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I don't think it's about Sampson. I think it's about Dickey.

Just hope there wasn't something underhanded going on between the previous staff and all of these guys' "advisers." Imagine if Houston gets penalized. "Well, at least we got that big CBI win over UT..." :eek:

#53 dc rock, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sampson is a GREAT recruiter who will keep plenty of top local talent home and bring in nationally ranked players. What we're seeing is a Housecleaning ( pun intended) as Sampson will bring in his players and restore Cougar hoops to a perennial top 20 program +. Nothing to see here.... We've waited this long, chill....IT'S HAPPENING.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UH's MackRhoades on why UHdenied TaShawn Thomas&amp;Danuel House's requests4release:&quot;It's really simple.We were very,very clear that when(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/454782834905870336">April 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Mack Rhoades: &quot;..Coach Dickey resigned &amp; decided he needed 2leave, we wouldn't entertain any releases until we hired a new coach&amp;(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/454782980582420480">April 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Mack Rhoades: &quot;&amp;that coach had an opportunity 2develop a relationship w/our players &amp; those release requests (more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/454783231749935104">April 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Mack Rhoades on why UH denied the release requests by TaShawn Thomas and Danuel House: &quot;...were made prior to us hiring the head coach&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/454783470120615937">April 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UH's TaShawn Thomas and Danuel House met Thursday with a three-person committee in an effort to overturn denials for transfer requests</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statuses/456848681170247680">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thomas and House said they are hopeful the university approves appeals but regardless careers at UH are over.</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statuses/456848758639050752">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>University of Houston basketball players TaShawn Thomas and Danuel House said if appeals are denied they will appeal to the NCAA</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statuses/456849624980934656">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>TaShawn Thomas: “If I come back I’m not going to be looked at as that same guy … everybody is going to look at me with a dirty eye.”</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statuses/456849701477036032">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Danuel House: “The fans and the alumni would look at us differently now that we’ve gone through the process to get our release.” –MORE-</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statuses/456849788613312512">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>House: &quot;Maybe they feel like we’re not even worth wearing the Cougar red anymore. That would be very uncomfortable and would really hurt.”</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statuses/456849942347128832">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

17. AFS

AFS Member

Hope Sampson is good at recruiting.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Morris could at least shoot the three in college, and was allegedly underrated in that department. I think he had some solid workouts wrt shooting the ball. Which honestly is unfortuante, because perhaps it made DM choose him over Kwahi. But he's hitting a solid clip of his three's. He also seems to be a more competent ballhandler than Thomas...

19. Progs

Progs Member

Just let them go. They obviously saw how Joe Young did at Oregon and think they have a better chance at reaching the tourney with another program. Real disappointing to see from Thomas that he wants to leave because he is the heart of the team IMO.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Young also got a waiver that let him play immediately.

House and Thomas will sit, delaying the NBA dream for another year.