1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Mavs now better than the Rockets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Surfguy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

As it stands now, I think the Mavs line-up has eclipsed the Rockets line-up. Obviously, it could change if the Rockets make another move but, as it stands now, I think the Mavs will finish with a better record than the Rockets. They are pretty solid...especially their starters. Granted, the PG position with Felton is somewhat of a question mark but, otherwise, they seem really solid and have added some bench depth as of late.

2. Entropy

Entropy Member

Jameer is an upgrade over Felton, so they'll be in the running for the #4-5 spot.

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I would't say so. I think everybody is selling Harden and Howard. We have one of the best cores in the league, both are top 10 players in the league and both the best their respective position in the league IMO. Granted, the bench and supporting cast is a little weak, but still. 2 years ago if I were be told that we would land both Harden and Howard I would lose my mind.

4. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I think the Mavs got pretty good and I would not be surprised if they beat us.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Them #4, us #5. Rival playoff series!

If I'm Adam Silver, I will make this happen. So much drama and this is going to generate a lot of buzz

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Covered in other threads, in both forums.

It all hinges on Dirk, and he is set for a decline this year, just by biology and mileage. With Pelicans and Suns potentially rising, Mavs could end up 9 or 10. Losing Vince and Calderon will hurt more than they think

I think the Rockets will be as good or, in only the 2nd year of Dwight + Harden, with Harden so very young, potentially better.

7. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

As of this moment, yes --- the Mavs are a better team than the Rockets. The coaching staff and the supporting cast in Houston is so far behind Dallas, it doesn't even matter than the Rockets actually have the two best players in this match-up (Dwight, Harden). The Houston bench is just so ridiculously bad. It's a collection of unproven projects from the D-League and Europe. There's not one player on the Rockets bench who would even crack the Mavs' rotation right now.

But the Rockets still have most of their MLE, and a sizable trade exception worth $8.3M. If Morey turns those two placeholders into two actual players, then the Rockets will surpass the Mavs.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Even accounting for the clueless, incompetent, pathetic joke and possibly the worst coach in the NBA, in the inept buffoon that is McHale and Dallas ahving a top coach in Carlisle, Rockets are still better. Marginally though I would think. One or two more bench upgrades and we should be up there

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nelson/Felton/Mekel
    Ellis/Harris/Ledo
    Parsons/Jefferson
    Dirk/Aminu/Crowder
    Chandler/Wright/Smith

Pretty stacked team.

Beverley/Smith/Canaan
    Harden/Daniels/Johnson
    Ariza
    Jones/Motiejunas/Adrian
    Howard/Dorsey

We have a LONG way to go with our depth and bench, its absolutely horrible right now. If we can add a wing and center in free agency with the rest of our MLE and BAE we would be in a lot better shape.

Beverley/Smith/Canaan
    Harden/Daniels/Johnson
    Ariza/Marion/Covington
    Jones/Motiejunas/Adrian
    Howard/O'Neal/Dorsey

Still have a weak PG and PF spot though.

10. spysta

spysta Member

Yes, the Mavs are better than the Rox right now, unless there is a Rondo deal in the works.

The Mavs picked a lot of ok - very good players and stole Parsons on top of it all.

Chandler
    Dirk
    Parsons
    Ellis
    Nelson

Its not a marquee line up but with good coaching that team will win 56 games next season. The rockets need to change there approach and stop big name hunting, you have Howard and Harden they need to build logically around those two. Ariza was a good start but the Mavs are better.

11. tinywang

I don't know man......they got the self-proclaimed best SF in the game!!

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

We beat their starting line-up easily, but our bench might be worst in the league.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden, Dwight, Ariza

vs

Dirk, Chandler, Chandler

Your choice.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's not how the nba works.

Role players, bench, depth, coaching.

You watched the finals right?

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This fool proof method

Nelson < Beverley
    Ellis < Harden
    Parsons > Ariza
    Dirk >> Jones
    Chandler << Dwight

Rox win the starting lineup

but

Carlisle >>> McFail

Mavs bench >> Rox Bench

therefore, Mavs are better.

16. conquistador#11

i'm expecting our starting five to score 85 points and the bench maybe 10. we better play elite defense.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I still don't get all the mavs hype. They added a bunch of pieces and lost a bunch of pieces. I think all in all they made a slight upgrade from last years team with a very real chance of decline if Tyson and Dirk decline.

The Rockets I think largely stayed idle. We lost more talent than we gained, but that doesn't always equate to a dip in production. Ariza, Daniels, our 2 bench point guards, Dmo all have what it takes in my opinion to give us the production we lost even if in a vacuum Parsons is better than Ariza and that Lin and Asik are better overall players than the replacements we have.

Dismiss the Vegas odds all you want but I check them every couple of days and I have yet to see a site that has the mavs as better than the rockets.

18. tinywang

Add a Poll

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No we are better than Dallas

20. tinywang

Ellis and Dirk the only returning starters. I think it would be funny if Mavs took all our unwanted players aka Lin and Asik.

Lin
    Ellis
    Parsons
    Dirk
    Asik