1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

2. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - the SEC Network will have a ton of football and basketball programming, even only using 3rd tier rights, thanks to having 14 teams - almost certainly far more viewers than NBATV. Anyone who did the math 3-4 years ago in the conference expansion threads saw that conference networks were the key to big money - every Big10 school will likely soon be making more than UT or ND as well. It was part of the stupidity of UT attaching itself to a $!5MM LHN - they could have had more from a Pac12 or Big10 Network. I believe the SEC Network has already been picked up by notoriously-slow Dish and will almost certainly be everywhere in the South by the start of the season.

The SEC Network is asking $0.68/subscriber. Compare than to CSN-H's attempt to get $3.50 - it's easy to see everyone buying in fairly quickly.

(ESPN2 will likely bump up at their next major renegotiation too).

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I love UT getting smacked in the nose by the LHN and ND coming out on the short end as well.

4. Bob Barker 007

Texas makes $15MM on third tier. The SEC can't and won't touch that. Does anybody really think any school or conference's third tier programming is worth $15MM? I don't. It's also not counting the big 12 revenue.

Right. So Clay Travis of Fox Sports is projecting that 3 years from now SEC schools will make over $20M each from the SEC Network, combined with their $20M from CBS & ESPN, etc. contracts, to put them over $40M. So, recapping, in 3 years from now the SEC schools hope to make $2M more than Texas made THIS year (38 million).

SEC genius.

We're Texas. Thanks ESPN. Hook 'em

5. Major

Major Member

Sure it is - Big10 with their decade-old rates get something like $10MM. That's for each school. Pac12 Network is projected at $20MM or so per school with full distribution, but it's struggling to get distribution.

Conference networks benefit from scale - you get a ton more programming than a single school. UT gets 2-3 football games a year on LHN. The conference networks get 2-3 per week and get wall-to-wall coverage. And instead of only being of interest to limited subscribers within a small area (say, half of Texas' population), they get interest across 1/3rd of the country. The math is very easy to see - I posted the detailed numbers several times back during the LHN/expansion threads a few years back.

That's EVERY school in the SEC. That means Mississippi State will be making more than Texas. If Texas attached itself to a conference network (say Pac12 or Big10), that network would have made a ton more - as it is, those will make LHN-like revenues for schools like Utah and Northwestern. That's the power of a conference network.

6. Bob Barker 007

According to contract stipulations, UT is getting a 3%/year raise on its annual earnings from the Longhorn Network. When ESPN recoups its money, revenues for UT will rise significantly.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

The guy hasn't coached a game yet and we're already thinking about how his decisions will affect the next coach's transition?

8. Major

Major Member

Context. If you read the post I quoted, it was based on the idea of if we aren't winning - in which case, he would be fired. The difference between him and Mack's program is that even if they aren't winning, the foundation and structure of the program appears far more solid.

9. Major

Major Member

You can play with the numbers all you want, but $15MM is the number that's been thrown around for the last several years. If you want to get technical, UT only gets $10.98MM, with $4.02MM going to IMG (their marketing partner). Even with 3% raises (which I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere else), it doesn't add up. As far as ESPN, given the boondoggle that distribution was for the first 3 years, it's unclear if/when ESPN recoups its money and how that affects UT.

10. Bob Barker 007

UT got a commitment from WR recruit John Burt, who chose Texas over Auburn today.

11. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

No one talking about the rape allegations?

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Honestly, it's hard to argue against Majors argument here. I enjoy LHN but there is very limited programming that I am interested in watching. I'll watch the UT football game(s) that are played on LHN, I really enjoy UT/OU week on LHN and I watch a couple of Basketball games a year. I watched the game of the century several months ago but there is a ton of repeat programming and a ton of programming that I'm just not interested in.

A conference network would give the network tons more programming and more importantly at least one major college football game a week on the network. I like LHN and don't want to see it go away but if it can be morphed into a conference network I would be all for it.

13. crash5179

What would you like said about it? The players have been suspended from the team indefinitely and are under legal investigation. They are likely to be completely kicked off the team regardless if they get out of their legal issues.

14. rockbox

I'm hoping for everyone involved including the alleged victim that it isn't true. If it is true, then I hope the players get put in prison and have it happen to them everyday by a bunch of aggie sheep (you know the rest).

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Cy Falls DT.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Verbally Committed to the University Of Texas. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HOOKEM?src=hash">#HOOKEM</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/40ACRES?src=hash">#40ACRES</a></p>&mdash; Du'vonta Lampkin (@DeeChilllin) <a href="https://twitter.com/DeeChilllin/statuses/493858867697029122">July 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

A hope with all the dismissals is that parents of recruits will feel more comfortable with a tough coach like Strong even if their kids would want to go to a more "fun" coach like Sumlin.

17. rockbox

As a parent, I would.

18. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

19. crash5179

I'm with you on that.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The chase for LB Malik Jefferson is huge. He is one of the top 2 players in the state. If Texas gets him then they are right back in the recruiting race in 2016. If A&M picks him up then it just further presses down on the throat of the Texas program.