1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jack Black , Naomi Watts to star in King Kong remake.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Troy McClure, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

(The Obligatory) Sorry if this has been posted.

Comedian Jack Black to star in King Kong

American comedian Jack Black has been cast alongside Naomi Watts in Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong.

Black will play Carl Denham, an adventurer film-maker who is trying to make a name for himself in 1930s New York. Robert Armstrong played the role in the 1933 original. (Jackson has said he is pretending the 1976 update does not exist.) Watts is playing Ann Darrow, an American actress who makes a living performing in Broadway song and dance shows. The project will start shooting in New Zealand in August.

"I've been wanting to work with Jack Black ever since I saw him in High Fidelity," said Jackson. "He's a smart and versatile actor blessed with an abundance of energy and charm and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is joining us on Kong."

Black earned a Golden Globe nomination this year for his starring role in the hit comedy The School of Rock. His other credits include Orange County and Shallow Hal.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...hesubsection=film&thesecondsubsection=general

I love both Jack Black and Naomi Watts, so I'm sure that love will override my hate of scifi movies.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Jack Black? I love the guy, but I sure wouldn't have thought of him for this role. Can't wait to see how he does..

A fellow Dio fanatic starring in King Kong... it must be Fever Dreams!

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

With this movie either one of two things will happen:

1) People will realize that Hackson has no talent and his horrible directing will be exposed for the world to see in this remake.

2) LOTR fanboys will be blinded by their fanaticism and will rush to see this movie, and grade it favorably, thus keeping up the myth that Hackson has any semblance of talent whatsoever.

I do love Naomi Watts though, and I hope she gets some decent lines of dialogue, though judging from LOTR I doubt that happens. My only consolation is that she will gain greater exposure with this film.

BTW, I saw a funny comment on another forum about this being the battle of the giants: Kong versus Naomi's nipples. :D

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Best nips since Farrah Faucet.

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'd like to pretend the 1976 version doesn't exist, too. Even the poster doesn't make sense.

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I have zero desire to see this movie. Same with the last Star Wars movie.

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bow to the Black!

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bow to the Black!!:cool:

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Jackson sounds like a big Tenacious D fan

wonder if he can work the hard ucking talk and song into the King Kong script

10. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

How can you say Peter Jackson has hardly a trace of talent? Obviously he's got something, otherwise he'd just be another bum on the streets.

Maybe something else will be happening after King Kong is released...Nomar will be eating a huge piece of humble pie. Oh, I would love to be around for that.

11. mrpaige

I don't know about that logic. There are many hacks who continue to get work in the entertainment industry. Dennis Dugan's directed almost as many movies as Peter Jackson has. And up until LOTR, Dugan had far outgrossed Jackson (before the Lord of the Rings, the highest grossing Peter Jackson movie made $16 million in U.S. Box Office grosses).

But even with combined grosses of $343.5 million, Dugan is still a hack.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Obviously there are hacks that are working in the industry- most Hollywood films are the very definition of hack-work. Nomar's weird vendetta against Peter Jackson speaks to his own LOTR (the book) fanboy-ism (new word?) than an intelligent assessment of Jackson's talents. "Heavenly Creatures," alone, should squelch this idea that Jackson is a hack.

13. mrpaige

I'm not arguing Peter Jackson is a hack (I've only seen one of his movies, and I liked it a great deal and thought it was quite well done), I was just arguing with the logic that because he gets to work, he's got talent. Plenty of no-talents work in the industry (as you acknowledge)..

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What makes Jackson a hack though? You can't just say the dialogue sucks and give only one example. You can't say the cinematogrophy sucks and give no examples.

As for Dugan, I went to Rotten Tomatoes and got the critics scores of his movies, his average is a 28%.

I did the same for Jackson and he has an 88.5555etc. I took out the LOTR trilogy and his average is 85%. Can a guy this critically acclaimed be a hack? He's only got 9 movies, 6 if you count the trilogy as one movie.

I'm going to watch Legend, Hannibal, and GI Jane again and start calling Ridley Scott a hack.

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I dont get the critisim of Jackoson either. He seems to be a solid director. My best guess is that most of the critism comes from fans of the LOTR books that dont like the movie adaptations.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think so too, I don't think that's the case for Nomar. I get the feeling he's mad a favorite director of his didn't make the movies.

BTW, Adrien Brody is in talks to play the male lead in this new King Kong flick.

17. Nomar

Nomar Member

It's a combination of things.

I'm a little upset we didn't get the chance to see a real director's vision of the books. Instead we got some silly Hollywood nonsense.

And if you really want, you can come watch each of the three LOTR movies and I will point out my problems with it. There are tons and tons of things which I found just horrible.

And it's not that he changed the books around or whatever. It's that he made bad movies.

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

His case may be part of the other group that hates Jackson. This group hates him for the great critical acclaim he has received for his movies and the fans saying they are among the best movies ever made(they are good movies but in no way should be considered among the best ever). I think as a movie buff he is offended by this and tries to trash the LOTR whenever he can.

19. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Nomar eating humble pie? Never happen. When it comes to LOTR or PJ, he is too myopic to see said pie even if it's two inches in front of his face. Just accept Nomar as a good poster aside from this issue.

That being said, I can't let it drop either, so the following will be my last word on the subject.

It is almost impossible to say that Peter Jackson did anything but a great job on the Lord of the Rings movies when:
    1. What he did pleased over 95% of the millions of passionate fans of the books.
    2. The movies were a critical success.
    3. The movies were a box office success, introducing millions of people to Tolkien's works, and broke barriers by becoming the first successful fantasy movie franchise.

You know what they say about not being able to please everybody? It's true. PJ chose to please the majority of people and did a great job of it, but failed to please Nomar. I'm glad he didn't do the opposite.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Not to derail the thread, but I've heard rumors that Black is in the running to play Ozzie Osborne in a movie about his life.

Now that would be interesting...