1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah but his defense is terrible.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Short clip, nothing spectacular

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/134449757&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey says that McHale has done an amazing job and Omer is the best guy ever. Eat it, haters!

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What would you expect him to say?

"Well, Mr. Alexander really had just two things he wanted in a coach.

"A. That he be more likeable than Adelman, and preferably a bit of a kiss-ass. That wasn't tough to do, to be honest. Most coaches aren't too great and will kiss some culo to get the job.

"B. Inexpensive. We got McHale for half of what Adelman cost.

"As far as Omer, I have no choice but to butter him up or he'll sulk---I mean, his knee will swell up again---and ruin his trade value, and I can't have that. So: it's been great to have Omer back and he's not only the best player ever, but really the best human being that ever walked on the face of the earth." (ring ring) "Oh, this is Danny Ainge. Gotta take this call."

1 person likes this.
  5. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Haha that's some funny **** man. I LOLed:grin:

6. Carl Herrera

Read what GSW owner Joe Lacob said about Mark Jackson. Front office guys don't always praise their coaches as "amazing" and know how to express concerns about a coach while still supporting him.

Haters gotta hate.

1 person likes this.
  7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Some bloggers thinks its very immature to used the word hater. Lol

Man we all know Morey isn't going to tear down anybody publicly.

8. Carl Herrera

He tore down Josh Innes publicly. Him and Royce White.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Exactly. As much as I dislike the coaching and Asik situations, it's good to hear that, better than some dysfunctional shiat.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From Today

Morey

...AB0 gave great minutes

...Hamilton brought in for shooting rebounding

...Last night game probably involved a lot of bad luck for Rockets

....Foul trouble changes dynamic for Dwight. Asik played well. Able to get lead/ close gap with Asik in game

...Passionate about keeping Parsons for a while

...Hamilton, UT player, done well with minutes given. Rockets good about finding guys that can thrive in right opportunity

...Rockets have problem with wing rebounding specifically when Dwight goes for a block. Hamilton is one of the better rebounders from the 3.

...Big part of trade is Canaan

...No room for AB0 to get minutes here with Beverley and Lin. Plenty of minutes for him in Denver.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Garm?

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I spoke about the rebounding stat as soon as I looked him up and no one else has run with it, he is elite as a wing defensive rebounder, he brings in 17.5% of available defensive rebounds when he is on the court which is better than a lot of C's out their. For example dwight/Asik bring down roughly 21-22%.

Also Garcia only brings down 9.9% of those same rebounds, which is a major drop off. I still can't beleive more people arnt seeing this as a major upgrade.

The Canaan side someone brought up when the trade went down, I'm cautious for him to get minutes this year but I guess if mchale has a habit of stuffing around with kids that sometimes morey has to force him to realise or some other reason eg inquires this year (the reason DMo and tjones got into the rotation in the dwight era)

3 people like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

More specifically what Morey said is as follows. Some of the importance was lost above:

On Chandler Parsons:
    -He will be here for a long time (exact quote)
    -When host suggested lots of fans are passionate about keeping Chandler, Morey responded "Fans? I"m passionate about keeping Chandler!"

On Hamilton
    -One of our weaknesses has been rebounding from the wings when Dwight challenges a shot. Hamilton is one of the strongest rebounders at the 3 in the league. Should help there.
    -Rockets have excelled at identifying guys who would thrive if given genuine minutes, feel like Hamilton might be that guy.
    -Believed Hamilton really played well (editor's note: I like that he uses "well" instead of "good") when given legit chance in Denver

Notes: Morey sounded kind of tired and the hosts were very eager to get back to Manziel's hands.

The stuff about Hamilton was interesting. Morey specifically pointing out that the Rockets targeted him as a guy that could thrive if given a real role was interesting. Figured he would say something about liking his upside and taking a chance, instead he seemed to be lumping this trade in with acquiring a guy like Lowry.

2 people like this.
  14. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Props to you Aus, I saw your post yesterday on it. I'm excited to see what this kid can do given minutes. I don't know if it was on here or on twitter, but I read he is way above average in catch and shoot eFG%. I presume that will be his job on the offensive end. I think this could be a steal. Hopefully he plays Sunday.

1 person likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My comments with what he said...when discussing Dwight's foul trouble...he quickly brought up Asik. He sounds like he genuinely likes Asik and is trying to rehabilitate the relationship between the Rockets and Asik. Granted, the pseudo injury conspiracy theorists probably read between the lines that Morey is still trying to rehabilitate his trade value for the trade deadline.

Hamilton will have a shot at Casspi's role at the three. I like that Morey brought up his defensive rebounding.

Rockets still very high on Canaan. Probably won't get minutes behind Lin and Beverley. I think Canaan is the backup PG next season with AB0 being brought back again as the third PG.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I noticed that too. Hamilton is a very rebounder for a 3. He could spare Parsons some minutes or even play in a small lineup if need be.

Bottomline: we need better bench players. Casspi, Garcia, Smith should not play if at all on a real contender.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I posted some of the info in another thread yesterday, but here's probably why Morey thinks that way about Hamilton:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...re-drummond-part-stars-deserving-more-minutes

This article above (before this season) put him in the same class of Drummond/Henson among others as someone could expand their game with increased minutes.

I think his minor struggle this season is more of Denver's changing environment.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/22709/hamiltons-impact-on-houstons-rotation

We may see a guy similar to Lowry/Beveley in terms of potential long term impact, and based on what he said I believe Morey hopes it'll make his decision on Parsons easier later.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Amen, brotha. Amen. Agree totally. One of my main criticisms of McHale is he tends to play favorites (literally "play", I suppose). I'm glad we have CP25, he's the goods, but McHale plays him and Harden 52 minutes in a 48 minute game while Dmo and Tjones are praying not to get shuttled back to RGV.

Then when McHale has no choice he plays them and they play well (although Tjones has been a little lost in the shuffle since Asik's return).

Rep to you.

I'd rep you separately for "McHale stuffing around with kids". Thankfully that sentence has a context here or could be misconstrued. :p

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

thanks for the kind words

Edit: expect somewhat bad grammer since im tired as hell after staying up for the deadline last night, and it being 3.25am now

firstly about his catch and shoots the closest thing i can come to finding this stat is through synergy sports as seen below
    [​IMG]
    i wouldnt say he is elite at it, im not sure the context of the tweet, maybe they were reffering to because he is playing with willing passes in harden and lin now his numbers will rise, he is ranked high on off screen threes, which wouldnt make up a large part in our offence but it should be noted.
    he is more liekly to be a garcia corner-elbow three type of player, even though due to this years shot chart
    [​IMG]
    however from all the video i have watched on him he could be a cassipi three point shooter and feels more confortable shooting above the break, but thats just my opinion not based on facts.

also just while i was thier i had a brief look at his defence synergy, just remember these arnt perfect but should guage as a tool us fans a look at what morey sees.
    [​IMG]

i think cassipi is thetype of mike miller player who could just heat check a game and could swing it in our favour, his motion is so pure and he is a really nice player, nothing more but i guess on that contract what do you expect.
    Garcia is proven in the playoffs and right now is the only vet on this team, lose him and its basically a bunch of college guys and dwight. i like the leadership aspect, a stat not even more can mathmatielcy work out
    "McHale stuffing around with kids" more rep?

2 people like this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kgmo_V93aPU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>