1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem says he'll be playing for the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pole, Jan 31, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree with you Doc, but I just think the people defending Dream are pretty hypocritical themselves. The next time a player throws a punch at someone they can't call them a thug because Dream did that before to. Next time a player complains about a contract they can't rip that player because Dream did it before, and next time a player tries to break a contract, no matter what team they are on, they can't rip that player because Dream has done it. There is hypocrisy all around. If you there are people that want to call people out for getting on Dream for whining about wanting to be traded then you can't call the kettle black.
    ------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited February 01, 2001).]

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

ROXTXIA: If there was any way we could get Swift, it would be awesome. I had just understood Swift was untouchable, and part of the rebuilding core for Vancouver.

win14me: This is just based on rumors and clues, not any insider information. We had heard that Chicago didn't like their centers, and is interested in Reeves. They have shown interest in Cato for the last couple years, and this way they can get rid of a couple of them for better ones. They have Artest already at SF. The deal requires a first rounder from Chicago, and Houston has to free that pick to allow it to be used. Chicago doesn't have enough players to take SAR and Reeves, so they need additional players from other teams to get Vancouver to release SAR, Bibby and Reeves, since Vancouver is requiring Reeves be a part of any deal for SAR and/or Bibby. One of our clues here, is that we are negotiating with Vancouver, will get a starter, and Cato is probably in the trade package. SAR is the only player on either team that would be traded that would be an upgrade over any of our starters, so it makes sense that he is part of the trade to Houston. If Chicago will take Reeves, Vancouver would probably allow them to get Bibby in the deal, but Chicago can't afford all three. Chicago needs a great point guard more than any other position.

Of course, all this is pure speculation from various clues and hearsay. If you have insider information, we'd love to hear it ...

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

3. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

As far as how Cato fits into this IR/____1x, I really don't know except that we might send him to Vancouver to make the salary cap for the Chicago/Vancouver deal go through in exchange for getting our first round pick back from Vancouver and a player. Pure speculation might be Ron Artest, a defensive SF who can also play at the SG.

------------------

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

win14me: Thanks for the info. I wouldn't believe Artest would be starter material on the Rockets, and we certainly wouldn't sit Anderson down to get Artest, but we would for SAR. We wouldn't sit down Francis for Bibby, but Bibby could be your point guard for the future. In the article you refer to, it says that Chicago would take on Reeves for either SAR or Bibby, either of whom would be a windfall for Chicago.

Artest only gets paid 1.1 mil, so who else would come to Houston in trade for Cato's 5 mil salary? (although I understand he is BYC) How could Chicago take on 23 mil in salaries, if they took Reeves, Bibby, and SAR, or 20.2 mil if they took SAR and Reeves? You need Bibby more than you need SAR ... and would come out cheaper and with another player Chicago has coveted for the last couple years.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I have also dabbled with 3 way and 4 way deals. Any scenario of mine always lands Bibby in Chicago with Reeves and Shareef in Houston. To get Reef and Reeves, the Bulls would have to dump mucho $$$. And I think Reef wants to play the 4. The Bulls, of course, have one of the best young power forwards in the league. The center and point guard positions on the Bulls, however, woefully suck.

Thing is, what does each team want? Does Miami want to take on other players? Walt, Cato? Especially if the Heat gets Hakeem anyway? Or does Vancouver want to replace a stiff at center for an IR center? Do the Grizz want some experience (Walt) while they yearn for the gray skies of St. Louis? Or will the Grizz simply load up draft picks and dump nearly 15 million cap space (I would say 20, but the draft picks, when signed, will cost them.)

It's funny that because of Bryce Drew to Chicago, we can hold the trade hostage and can land some major goodies. Not that we couldn't get involved anyway, but this makes it obligatory:

"Hey, will you guys concede the draft pick this year?"
    "Well, not just like that. You gotta let us wet our beak, too."

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROXTXIA (edited February 01, 2001).]

6. Arnel

Arnel Member

this is the first time that I see a topic 4 pages long.. he he.. I guess it was an interesting subject, but can anybody tell me the news about Cato?.. we're trading him for sure or what? or are these just rummors.. thanx..

------------------
    against all odds

7. NBA Champs 2004

NBA Champs 2004 New Member

First let me say that I appreciate everything that Hakeem has done for the Rocks over the years. He was more than a contributor, he was the driving force.

I include this quote from Jordan because I think it bears a great deal of weight on the current situation.

'When have I ever backed out of a contract?' Jordan said yesterday via telephone. 'I have always honored my contracts. Did I ever back out of a contract when I was a player? There were times when I could have begged for money when I was in Chicago, but that's just not me. 'I intend to fully honor my five-year commitment to the Wizards. Michael Jordan>

Hakeem, you signed a contract. It is the same committment I have to my family, whether I feel like it or not, whether I like it or not I go to work everyday and I am not getting $16M. The Rocks have been above board on this one guys, Hakeem has let secrets "slip" at first, now he is being blatant. Why in the world should he expect the Rockets to just let him walk away to a competitor, to anyone he likes. Thanks man have a nice day. This isn't right and the position that he has put the team and the fans in is not right.

At this point he is starting to distract the team. Believe me the performance against the Clips was evidence of that, it is wearing. He figures if he is a disruptive force they have to move him.

------------------
    "I was matched up on Mobley a couple of times. The guy almost shook me out of my shoes." Antawn Jamison

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

schwa,

I didn't know the Jazz had superstars. Con artists, yes, but no superstars. After failing to produce for so many years, why wouldn't Jazz fans want to get rid of Stockton and Malone? Oh, right, they're Jazz fans.

I for one am glad that the only rings Stockton and Malone will ever have are the ones around their bathtubs.

------------------
    The sky is falling!