1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Playoffs in Reach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SmeggySmeg, Feb 1, 2001.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

With the Clippers loss our record drops to 22 and 24.

For me 45 and 37 will be needed to make the playoffs, that 4 games above .500

So with 36 games for the rockets left, is a big run and the playoffs a realistic possibility??

To end up with 45 and 37 we will need to go 23 and 13 the rest of the way.

To help me work out if it is possible I broke up the two conferences into 3 groups of teams each to see who we have our wins and losses against and who we still have to play, i didn't split them into home and away games cause the two are similar records

Games and Results So far

W1- Kings, Blazers, Laker, Jazz and Spurs, currently against W1 teams we have a 1 and 12 record.

W2- Mavs, T-Wolves, Suns, Nugs, and Sonics and so far we have a 5 and 6 record against W2 teams

W3- Warriors, Clips and Grizz and so far we are 5 and 3 against them

E1- Sixers, Knicks, Bucks, Heat and we are 3 and 2 against E1 teams so far

E2- Hornets, Raptors, Cavs, Pacers and Magic and we are 6 and 0 against them

E3- Celtics, Pistons, Hawks, Nets, Wizards and Bulls and we are 2 and 1 against them so far.

What does this mean well with suck against the top Western Conference teams and play much better and the Eastern Conference teams.

Games Remaining

Remember we need to go at least 23 and 13 to give ourselves a good shot

W1- We have 7 games remaining, this could be the problem considering how badly we have struggled so far against the quality Western Conference teams.

W2- 8 more games against the teams that we are competing with for a spot, every game is a potential 2 game swing, remember most of these teams have at least 4-5 wins on us, so we must win them all to have a chance.

W3- 4 more games

E1- 3 games to go

E2- 4 games remaining

E3- Amazingly 9 games against these teams are if we want to be a chance we probaly have to win them all or at a minimum 8.

So who knows, for me i think our lack of front court intimidators will cost us, but if the youth and energy supplied by Steve and Cat can get is on a run anything is possible, especially in Feb cause we face 9 East teams and 3 west for the rest of the month, if we are not well above .500 by then, the playoffs and Dream may be lost.

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

2. SmeggySmeg

please someone respond!

------------------
    CUT Tino

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

NO, the playoffs are not a possibility. Look at the way we're playing. We really need some help to make it in the West. Just wait until Utah and Seattle fall, then we'll be in in a couple of years maybe.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If the Rockets really can use these past two losses as inspiration, I really think the Rockets could go 23-13. Its all about defensive effort. I think they need another team meeting to discuss the wonders of defense. I also wouldn't mind having them hire Heypartner to discuss the amazing thing we call a fast break. The Rockets really SHOULD have beaten Miami and LA, but they didn't. Can they beat the other teams that they SHOULD beat?
    By the way, if they go 45-37 and still don't make the playoffs, blame it on the conference setup. I would be perfectly happy with that record.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

5. SmeggySmeg

Z,

45 - 37 should be good enough but you are right if not a record to be very proud of. It may take a better record though as the Suns only need to 20 and 19 the rest way to do that and thay are the 8th seed at the moment, imagine if it nearly takes 50 wins to make the playoffs, crazy stuff.

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

It will take a serious run to make the playoffs but I think the Rocks can do it. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

When did we acquire Wilt Chamberlain's clone?

Until we get a big man (No Olajuwon and Mo DO NOT COUNT!) who can bring it night in and night out, we're relegated to 35-40 wins... In the West that will put us 5+ games out...

If we somehow IN HELL get Webber, we win 55 games next year...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Awesome work Smeg. I love seeing your per group breakdown. It's telling... and depressing.

Since injuries are a fact of life it is interesting to note that Payton went down. For some strange reason the Suns are blowing up. Also, the TWolves face the creme of the crop at the end of the season (they're playing pretty damn well though).

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

9. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

How sad is this! in the East, you'e allowed to be under .500 and go to the Playoffs!!

------------------
    Dream
    Rejects
    Every
    Attempt
    Made

[This message has been edited by CompaqC (edited February 02, 2001).]

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No playoffs unless we somehow get a sweetheart of a deal, where we can add a "stud" for virtually nothing.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't think the rockets are talented enough to make the playoffs this year. With a Utah and seatle fallout next year along with a quaility free agent signing by us we should make the playoffs next year.

My only hope is that the rockets can at least stay at .500. If the rockets fall too far below .500 Webber might not want to come here.

------------------

12. Live

Live Member

Coming into the season, I had 2 wishes for the Rockets:

1. Improve on last year

2. Establish an identity

It's safe to say that, in spite of the Clippers' game, #1 has been accomplished and #2 is still a work in progress. But I didn't think, and still don't think, that the Rockets have quite the talent needed to make the playoffs, nevermind a serious run in the playoffs. They are still 1 to 2 players away. Hopefully, with a good draft and possible FA addition(s), the Rockets will continue to improve and become a perennial playoff team.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

13. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Live, you took the words right out of my mouth. er... keyboard. I never thought the Rockets had much of a shot at the playoffs this year. They are, as you said, a work in progress.

All I really expected and wanted from this season is for these guys to improve on last year's performance. A winning record, which I think is still easily attainable (these two humiliating losses notwithstanding), would be a big improvement. I'm content with that and the many opportunities the team has to improve the personnel going into next year.

They are on the road back to the top, and still much, much farther down that road than a lot of other rebuilding teams.

Now, if these guys can just accept where they are in the process and get excited about getting better instead of depressed about not making the playoffs, they'll still be fun for us to watch.

------------------

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I beleive

I BELEIVE!!!!!!!

We can do it!@!!

It will not be easy I think once this
    Dream situation is dealt with
    we will be AWESOME!!

Things I Look for after the break
    1. Collier - I LIKE HIM - he is the inverse Cato
    Soft hands and some distance on his shot
    Defense maybe suspect
    2. Cato - YES!! I THINK HE WILL CONTRIBUTE
    *SOMETIME* this year
    3. Francis, Mobley, Shandon, Moochie, Mo, Kt, Los
    NUFF SAID!! the hearts of this team will
    rise

I beleive these last two game were surrounded with distractions.
    Will Francis play in the rookie game thing?
    If not. . . HIS ANKLE WILL COMPLETELY HEAL!!
    [or at least be better] Same with Cat's Elbow.

I think we need the break to heal and revitalize
    [Why no KT on the sophmore team!!!?!?!?]

Rocket River

------------------

15. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

If we acquire SAR within the next week or so, I think we would have a chance. (I just wanted to post something, and the other threads are too depressing). If it is more than a week or two, there probably won't be enough time for him to get comfortable with the team and vice-versa to really make a difference.

While SAR hasn't hit the clutch shots for the Grizzlies, he has been very consistent in putting up points and pulling down boards. While he's not a great defender, he is a tremendous upgrade from Walt or Bull.

I personally like the bird in the hand approach, and if we could acquire SAR without giving up Steve, Cat or Mo, we might have a chance at Smeg's record and a spot in the playoffs.

------------------

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

17. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I think it's impossible to say whether or not we have the capability to make the playoffs at this point without knowing if a major deal is going to go down before the deadline. I know everyone is sick of hearing about it, but if a major deal were to go down, it would change the total complexion of this team, and therefore alter our eventual season's outcome.

If NO deal goes down, I would say we are definitely on the outside looking in. Are the playoffs in reach? Is 23-13 an impossible mark to reach? No. Is it probable? No. But, was it probable that a #6 seed would win the Finals? I know that we are speaking about two totally different teams here, but, dammit, I'm not giving up hope. This team still has a chance to reach the playoffs, and, until we are mathematically eliminated, I will retain that hope, however misguided it may be. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

18. hedster

hedster Member

Directly ahead of us we have Denver and Phoenix. If you think about it this way the playoffs sound possible. The Rockets have 36 games left. All they have to do is make up 2 games every 18 games on those two teams to make it. We also have to hope Seattle doesn't catch fire. One 5 game winning streak and we're well on our way. Think about it, just one 3 game winning streak by us and one 3 game losing streak by them and we are a game out. Yeah I know, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, but I'm optimistic. I know it is all wishful thinking, but keep hope alive. I'm still optimistic until we are 5 games out and we only have 4 games left. Long live the Dream.

------------------

19. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

This year i think we will just be a spoiler and decide who makes the playoffs. Which isn't bad. We have only been in rebuilding for a year.

Next year we should be able to resign mo and shandon, and still have about 4-5 million to go after a good veteran big man. Then we will also get at least three pretty good draft picks.

Heres the roster that will take us to the playoffs next season.

C-Cato/Haywood
    PF-MO/Thomas/Rogers(or collier)
    SF-Morris/Walt
    SG-Shandon/Mobes/Evans(from Texas)
    PG-Francis/Mooch

IR to start the season-Langhi, Collier(or rogers), and Bullard.

I think that is a playoff team if cato gives us 12 and 9 consistently(which he is capable of doing).

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont think it is possible.
    First, I just dont see 23-13 happening. The most obvious thing about this season so far is that the Rockets are a .500 team. They are a good .500 team but their ability to stay 2 games below or above that mark all season long has been amazing. They wont change much from that in my opinion---maybe the east games will help, though.

Second, for this argument we must look at the teams ahead of the Rockets. I beleive Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Minnesota, and Dallas are all better then us and cant see any of them faltering enough. IF Phoenix starts screwing up, Denver and Seattle will be glad to take that last spot.

For us to make it would be a miracle.

Im not saying Im not going to root for the Rockets in every game, but mark the lottery on your calenders and hope we nail a top three spot [​IMG]

------------------